SNES The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past in 03:44.67 by Tompa

• Snes9X v1.43+ V11 (Most 1.43 versions should work...)
    • WIP1 timing
    • Allow Left+Right/Up+Down
  • Aims for fastest time.
  • Takes damage to save time.
  • Abuses programming errors in the game.
  • Manipulates luck.
  • Ignores orders from your uncle.
  • Bushes are being slaughtered.
This is a 17 frames improvement over Deign's previous version #1963: Deign's SNES The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "glitched" in 03:44.95.

Tricks and glitches used

Wobbling - You are able to speed up your movement when going up and left by changing direction every second frame.
Pixelporting - When being between two walls while going up/down, face the wall to either left or right and press <^> or <v>, depending on going up or down.
Faster walking in stairs - Holding <^> or <v> when walking in stairs speeds you up a bit. It also makes you walk through some of stairs.

STUFF

After having some problems with my other ALttP run, I decided to see if I could improved the glitched version. At that time I didn't know where, or if, I could save any frames. But apparently I did. I also decided to keep the input animation in the beginning of the run
1 frame saved at the first bush outside the house.
1 frame saved at the second area of bushes.
9 saved because of better pixelporting at the stairs after getting the sword.
2 frames saved before the damage boost.
2 frames lost because two frames were saved. The guard could get in the perfect position fast enought, which gave me a not as good damage boost.
5 frames saved to a better pixelport in the stairs before the upper floor
1 frame saved during the Triforce conversation, don't know how though...
For some reason most of the rerecords disappeared... But who cares anyway?

Thanks to:

Deign, for his previous submission.
dezbeast, for the finding of the Pixelporting trick.
Comicalflop, for his input anmination in the beginning.

mmbossman: Somewhat of an 'invisible' improvement, but 17 frames is quite a lot for a run that has gone through so many iterations. Accepting as an improvement to the published 'glitched' run.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Player (244)
Tough to actually see the improvements, but nice job! Good luck with the non-glitched any%.
Active player (490)
I have next to no knowledge of this game, but an improvement is an improvement, and I'm confident that you TASed this to the best of your abilities. You also made it as entertaining as a run this short would allow (with making Link walk backwards and stuff), so I gave it a 10 for technical and an 8 for entertainment.
jaysmad
Other
Experienced player (834)
Tompa wrote:
Ignores orders from your uncle
Finally, someone who stands up for his rights :P This has got to be good :)
Post subject: Re: #2119: Tompa's SNES The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past in 03:44.67
Ignores orders from your uncle.
What were they again?
Bushes are being slaughtered.
Enviros will condem this i'm sure.
Renting this space for rent. Trying to fix image on this site. Please cut slack. As of April 6th, 2012: After a long absence, here we go again?
Zelda is the only RPG saga I know in which you have to cut the grass for money.
No.
Former player
You sure have a strange definition of 'RPG'.
Active player (277)
Zelda is the only RPG saga I know that doesn't contain any RPGs.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
you play da role of link isnt it great? its and rpg or not?
Former player
evilchen: It is als Antwort auf eine Frage kann man nicht mit it's abkürzen. Und: ...was?! For the non-German speaking people: I didn't understand him either.
I think he meant: "You play the role of Link, that's fine isn't it? How is it not an RPG?" Also I think most RPGs are actually Story Telling Games, since there's usually no room for freestyle role playing. Morrowind tried to do this, but was a bit confusing and/or scary as a result.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1210] SNES The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (USA) "warp glitch" by Tompa in 03:44.67
Bag of Magic Food was possibly referring to, for the second RPG, its other acronymic meaning: Rocket-Propelled Grenade. (Zelda does, however, have bow-propelled bombs in multiple incarnations, and also Gust-Jar propelled...)
Player (57)
To me, Zelda is just not an RPG as a whole.