Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is a speed run of Golden Axe Warrior on the Sega Master System in 46 minuits and 06 seconds. I took no damage anywhere in the game, and also abused a programing error to allow me to defeat a couple of the bosses quicker. For those unfamiliar with the game, it was Sega's attempt at an Action RPG and they heavily plagiarized the original Zelda game from the NES. Although it's a knock off Zelda game it is still very enjoyable to play and watch :)

Game objectives

• Emulator used: <Dega v1.15 (Note the game is incompatible with v1.14)>
  • <Complete The Game in The Quickest Possible Time>
  • <Collect Every Dungeon Treasure>
  • <To Take No Damage>

Comments

<I avoided many of the overworld tasks that were not necessary to complete the game, such as magic, the only magic aquired was the earth magic as it is needed in a few dungeons. I also avoided upgrading Armour, weapons and shields as this was a waste of time, the only weapons I aquired were the Battle Axe and the Golden Axe and both of these are dungeon treasures. When it came to the enemys I avoided them all on the overworld and only fought those that were needed to be defeated in order to open a door or create a bridge in dungeon rooms. On a few of the bosses I abused a programing error to defeat them faster, when you enter a boss room in the dungeons and you are still in the doorway unless you move forward you cannot take damage but you can still attack from this spot, this allows you to take no damage at some bosses and defeat them much faster.>

Stage by stage comments

<Overworld - Avoided all enemys and just used it to get from Dungeon to Dungeon.>
<Dungeon #1 - Beach Palace - Collected the Battle Axe and required keys, then defeated the boss by using a programming error for a faster time then I exited on to the Overworld. No damage was taken>
<Dungeon #2 - Forest Palace - Collected all four keys, then collected the dungeon treasure which was the Torch and defeated the Green Dragon boss, no damage was taken, returned to the overworld.>
<Dungeon #3 - Desert Palace - Collected all three keys, collected the dungeon treasure which was the Magic Rope and defeated the Red Soldier boss by using a programming error for a faster time then I exited on to the Overworld. No damage was taken>
<Dungeon #4 - Island Palace - Collected all five keys, collected the dungeon treasure which was the Canoe and defeated the Blue Necromancer boss by using a programming error for a faster time then I exited on to the Overworld. No damage was taken>
<Dungeon #5 - Swamp Palace - Collected the only key, collected the dungeon treasure which were the Speed Shoes and defeated the Flame Face boss by using a programming error for a faster time then I exited on to the Overworld. No damage was taken>
<Dungeon #6 - Graveyard Palace - Collected all five keys, collected the dungeon treasure which was the Ice Bell and defeated the Red Dragon boss then I returned to the overworld. No damage was taken>
<Dungeon #7 - Lava Palace - Collected all Three keys, collected the dungeon treasure which was the Ship and defeated the Green Flame boss then I exited on to the Overworld. No damage was taken>
<Dungeon #8 - Hidden Palace - Collected the dungeon treasure which was the Thief's Key and defeated the Green Soldier and Red Necromancer boss by using a programming error for a faster time then I exited on to the Overworld. No damage was taken>
<Dungeon #9 - Ice Palace - Collected the dungeon treasure which was the Magic Balloon and defeated the Red Dragon, Red Soldier and Boomerang Warrior bosses by using a programming error for a faster time then I exited on to the Overworld. No damage was taken>
<Dungeon #10 - Final Palace - Collected the dungeon treasure which was the Golden Axe and defeated the Red Soldier, Red Necromancer boss and the final boss Death Adder by using a programming error for a faster time. No damage was taken. The game is no complete.>
<People will like to see how Sega ripped of Zelda, But it's a mighty fine effort at an 8-bit Action RPG for it's time the game has much better graphics than it's NES counterpart but was let down on originality.>
<The first few bosses could be done a bit neater, I didnt quite grasp how to fully manipulate luck in the first two dungeons. Also I had some thoughts on how to achive a faster time, you can do a lot of overworld trecking away from the main route of the game to aquire thunder magic, with thunder magic you can aquire the flame sword which is more powerfull than the battle axe so would help you kill enemy's quicker, I came to the conclusion though that the time spent trecking to aquire the more powerfull weapon would actually slow down the speed of the run so I kept my Battle Bxe untill the Golden Axe was aquired. If anyone attempts to improove this run it may be worth checking out the other weapons.>

<One Screenshot from the overworld and one from any dungeon>

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Here goes! Feel free to clean up the list.

Truncated: Rejected for reasons listed in the topic. It needs some work, but I would love to see an improved version of this.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2142: jse's SMS Golden Axe Warrior in 46:06.92
Player (120)
OK I hate posts like this but "I will check this out later"... It seems like a good looking and interesting (if unoriginal) game that could be great for a TAS if the LoZ movie is any indication. I'm also going to hazard a guess that this will be very improvable, both from your comments and the nature of this game. But, I have no idea of course.
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Player (24)
Great game and good TAS. Looks good for the first Golden Axe Warrior TAS. Maybe it goes faster, and maybe its faster to complete the dungeons in different order like in Zelda. But I don't know and it looks good at all. Sometimes it looks like a bit backwalking, when you collect the Blue Magic to fill it up. First you run to the exit, then walk back to collect these. I saw it 2 times in the last Dungeon. But not sure if it is faster to wait or can't you get them earlier and you walk only for entertainment?
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
Former player
I watched this earlier. I'm glad you decided to follow my advice and redo it, it definitely looks a lot better (and faster) in comparison to before. I'm of the opinion that not taking damage was perhaps not the best choice as several bosses would've benefited from you taking damage to destroy them faster, but I'm not the one running the game, so it's not really my problem. Would it perhaps have actually been faster to attack the first boss normally as opposed to waiting for it to slowly walk down to you, only to die in something like 6 hits? Either way, nice work :)
jse
Sometimes it looks like a bit backwalking, when you collect the Blue Magic to fill it up. First you run to the exit, then walk back to collect these. I saw it 2 times in the last Dungeon. But not sure if it is faster to wait or can't you get them earlier and you walk only for entertainment?
Hey Matty, this was to manipulate luck, basically if I waited there or walked in another direction some other gift would spawn like bread or horns and I needed the magic to complete the dungeon as quick as possible,
I'm of the opinion that not taking damage was perhaps not the best choice as several bosses would've benefited from you taking damage to destroy them faster, but I'm not the one running the game, so it's not really my problem. Would it perhaps have actually been faster to attack the first boss normally as opposed to waiting for it to slowly walk down to you, only to die in something like 6 hits?
I never tried moving toward the first boss to kill it but I think you may be right, I did discover on later bosses that I could walk toward them and strike them, then walk one or two blocks south and strike again and continue this pattern of striking them and moving south untill I was in the doorway. If I re-do the run in the future I think I could save a bit of time on the first few bosses.[/quote]
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
I would really like to watch this, but Dega shows a black screen whenever I load a game. There is music and everything, and even screenshots work alright, but no option seems to affect the black screen... :( Time to go to the Dega forum I guess... I'm guessing it's since I switched to Vista.
Former player
Are you using 1.14? 1.14a fixes Vista issues and this run only syncs up on 1.15.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
I am using 1.14, but I managed to fix the graphics issues anyway (set Overlay to None). Thanks for letting me know about the version, it didn't show up until I made the window bigger. I'll be back with comments on the run later. ---- EDIT: I have watched about half of it now. It does not look that great... the main problems I see are pathing, for example choosing the right side of wide doors when changing rooms, and boss fights. The best strategy might not be obvious, but the timing of hits which should be easy seem to be off. I wouldn't say that this is publishable in it's current state.
Being a big fan of the Zelda series, I absolutely loved this run. I give it a 10 for entertainment, and an 8 for tech. I actually find that taking no damage made this run more enjoyable for me, personally. Not a whole lot of TASes that do that on this sight.
i will update to newest dega i guess i got wait to see the whole movie berfore posting my opinion
Run..Run...Run.....
Former player
wicked, try Dega 1.15 instead of 1.14(a).
yep but i i cant find at http://www.bluetoaster.net/ but i found here http://www.pcc.me.uk/~peter/dega/
Run..Run...Run.....
Former player
-> All -> Dega rerecording page -> 1.15 Windows binary
thanks just updated and everything is fine.
Run..Run...Run.....
SXL
it's long, but it was fun and interesting. I could feel that the game was mastered by the player : it's not as impressive as zelda but still gave nice wtf moments. 8/7.
I never sleep, 'cause sleep is the cousin of death - NAS
Experienced player (822)
Thoughts on this run: * Game choice is good, and length isn't too bad for an RPG. * Stylistic choice to avoid damage really hurts this run, unfortunately. I think it could probably be a lot faster to take damage, especially if damage boosting is present. And I have a sneaking feeling that I saw you take damage at one point from some arrows or spikes about 1/3 of the way through the movie, but I couldn't find it on a second time through (using fast forward). * Technically, it's a good first attempt. There are a ton of small optimizations that look to be possible, but overall it's pretty competently well done. The only exception I can see is during the bosses (as previously mentioned), when you wait to exploit the doorway trick. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't take care of them faster by walking towards them and attacking, especially if you took damage. I'm leaning towards acceptance, but I'll leave this thread open for a little while longer to hopefully garner some more opinions.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
mmbossman wrote:
more opinions.
I'm leaning toward rejection, mainly because of the doorway thing Truncated mentioned. If that's actually what it looks like, then this is really more a testrun than something that should be published. I also notice the rerecord density is statistically very low. It is good for a first attempt at TASing, but not good enough for a publication, IMO.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!