"Your mission: Save the captured princess Lala from the Great Devils evil empire!!! You are the only one who can save Lala." By collecting every heartpiece in the room a treasure chest opens with a pearl inside. If you collect this pearl a door will open and you advance to the next level. This game contains 50 of these levels.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: FCEUX
  • Completes game as fast as possible
  • Uses no passwords
  • Manipulates luck (enemy movement)
  • Abuses programming errors

Improvements

The total improvement over the currently published run is 610 frames (a little over 10 seconds)!
Level 3-1: 46 frame improvement (Zugzwang)
Level 3-2: 43 frame improvement (Zugzwang)
Level 6-1: 16 frame improvement (Zugzwang)
Level 6-3: 80 frame improvement (Zugzwang)(*)
Level 8-4: 112 frame improvement (Zugzwang)
Level 8-5: 138 frame improvement (Zugzwang)
Level 9-3: 41 frame impovement (Zugzwang)
Level 10-1: 16 frame impovement (Zugzwang)
Level 10-2: 64 frame impovement (Zugzwang)
Level 10-3: 8 frame impovement (Zugzwang)
Level 10-4: 46 frame improvement (Baxter)(**)
(*) After Baxter improved it first by 7 frames
(**) After Zugzwang improved it first by 26 frames

Baxter's comments

This will be the tenth Adventures of Lolo submission, which will hopefully lead to the eighth published version. The first few versions all had reasonably big improvements, but the latest few versions all had rather small improvements, made mainly to include some small improvement that had been overlooked previously. I might have said that those versions weren't particularly worth watching if you've seen the previous version... but not this time!
Eleven of the fifty levels are improved in this version, and not by small amounts! It totalled up to an improvement of over 10 seconds, which is a lot... especially considering quite a few people have looked at it for quite a few times. Not only are there many improvements... the improvement themselves are very inventive, and they might surprise you if you were familiar with the previous solution or the game in general.
As you might have noticed, nearly all of these great improvement were found by Zugzwang. He kept surprising me as well as quite a few other people with what seemed like a limitless amount of improvements for a TAS that could never have been expected to be this improvable. Without him, this version wouldn't be there... and if there were to be a tenth version, it wouldn't have been remotely as awesome as this one. Many thanks Zugzwang!
Also a thanks to the people who made suggestions for previous versions: Nitrodon, AnS, BagofMagicFood and Hanzou.
Note that this fm2 movie file, like the previous submission still also completes the game "Defenders of the Crown".

Zugzwangs comments

It's been a great journey. What started as a Speedrun for SDA a year and a half ago has ended up as this TAS run. I have joined two forums, met numerous people and enjoyed a game I love. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with the results. The most satisfying aspect has to be finding two communities that share a passion for these classic games that are so deserving. For that, THANK YOU.
For those of you that have not seen the forum which is the basis for this submission, I would urge you to check it out [/Forum/Topics/6882&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20|here]. The reason why I post the way I do is to have a chronological reference to mark the time and effort it took. Rather than discuss each level here, if you are intrigued for further detail I've modified those original posts. The four pages of posts, by mostly Baxter and I, are a pretty entertaining read. In hindsight, I enjoy the doubt that I found an improvement at all, turn into disbelief that I found another one. :)
It's been a huge learning experience as well. Up until my 8-5 improvement I played entirely in real-time on my NES. The last 8-5 solution I hadn't figured out how to reduce speed but did use save states. The last four levels I found would have been impossible to find in real-time. It amazes me that I had no idea how to make an fcm or compare frame counts when reading my second post. I guess we all start somewhere!
A count of hours I worked on these levels:
Level 3-1 20hrs
Level 3-2 5hrs
Level 6-1 5hrs
Level 6-3 15hrs
Level 8-4 15hrs
Level 8-5 40hrs
Level 9-3 2hrs
Level 10-1 20hrs
Level 10-2 10hrs
Level 10-3 30hrs
Level 10-4 20hrs
Total aprox 172hrs
(This doesn't include the time I've spent on other levels for my SDA run.)
These times are no exaggeration. When I would come home I would spend 2-3 hours an evening (early morning) testing variations. I easily worked more than a 10 to 15 individual days on 8-5. The next most time consuming was 10-3, two weeks. Which leads to my parting thought, however intelligent I am or how I think logic should prevail in finding a new solution, it is dwarfed by my intuition and instinct. How else can you explain spending two solid weeks on a solution you don't KNOW is there? Considering so much emphasis is always placed on planning and knowledge the idea is sobering.
A great thanks to Baxter who has most graciously made one more Lolo submission. I couldnt have done it without your help.

adelikat: Accepting as an improvement to the published movie.
ShinyDoofy: Will process...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2202: Baxter & Zugzwang's NES Adventures of Lolo in 22:24.69
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1268] NES Adventures of Lolo by Baxter & Zugzwang in 22:24.69
Banned User, Former player
Good grief. This would probably be more impressive if I was familiar with the enemies... for some reason you can sometimes walk right past a Medusa without anything between you (?), so it's kind of weird. Eh. Good time-wasting movie, though :)
Perma-banned
Xkeeper wrote:
for some reason you can sometimes walk right past a Medusa without anything between you (?)
The physics of the moving (Don) Medusa are a little weird. For example, they won't shoot Lolo until he is exactly next to them; a few pixels off is not sufficient to be targeted. Touching certain parts of a heart frame marks Lolo as safe, even if it means Lolo is between the heart frame and a Medusa. Finally, there are instances where Don Medusas, when moving horizontally, won't shoot even though they should. It's possible to trigger this condition accidentally in real play but, naturally, comes much easier to a TAS.
Skilled player (1637)
I'm always impressed by TASes that are continual work on a single game for the sole sake of love of the game. Amazing improvements, perhaps the last?
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
NESAtlas
He/Him
Player (56)
I grew up playing this game so I had to do something with it: Link to video
That was intense.
Twisted_Eye
He/Him
Active player (332)
haaaaahahahaha What a great idea
Skilled player (1402)
Nice birthday present :P Very awesome!
You know, I never noticed 4-2 was Lolo-shaped. My favorite part of this video is about half a second before the levels complete where everything stops moving apparently randomly and the Lolos head for the exits all at once.
Post subject: Easter Egg
Player (65)
Here is an encode of the Defenders of the Crown Easter Egg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tFto2Fglxw
Post subject: Re: Easter Egg
nanogyth wrote:
Here is an encode of the Defenders of the Crown Easter Egg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tFto2Fglxw
We really need to do a side-by-side encoding with this, and put it on the movie page.
trlky wrote:
We really need to do a side-by-side encoding with this, and put it on the movie page.
As I understand it, one of the reasons that Defender of the Crown could be "inserted" into the run so easily is that Adventures of Lolo doesn't need input on most frames (basically, once you commit to a given square, input is ignored until you finish moving into that square). So there's lots of room for whatever input Defender of the Crown needs. As such, there wouldn't be much visual synchronicity between the two runs, making a side-by-side encode more confusing than anything else. The more optimized multi-runs tends to have similar problems. Yes, the same input is used to control each game, but it doesn't look like that's the case.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Skilled player (1402)
Derakon wrote:
The more optimized multi-runs tends to have similar problems.
The more optimized multi-runs? Either way, it is indeed somewhat pointless to watch them side by side, you will see no correlation, except that it may explain a certain wait at defenders of the crown because you will notice that pressing the button needed to continue at defenders of the crown would mean that lolo shoots a projectile where he shouldn't.
Baxter wrote:
The more optimized multi-runs?
By that I basically meant any run except for the original X/X2 run has a very low degree of visible synchronicity. I didn't mean to imply that your multi-run wasn't optimized; sorry. They're neat ideas and I bet they were a lot of fun to make (since they so greatly complexify the TASing "puzzle"), but I find them to be unwatchable.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.