Todd is adventuring on a slime planet. The slime planet is made of slime. Slime monsters dwell there.
Slime monsters damage Todd. Todd has a watergun. Watergun damages slime monsters.
The planet is melting. Collecting mushrooms postpones the meltdown. Todd collects one mushroom.
The red gems provide a slime shield. Todd collects three red gems.
The slime shield item provides a slime shield. Todd collects one of those.
Todd also collects a jetpack.
Uh-oh, the water pool would damage the jetpack...
...but Todd jumps out of the water pool!
Todd activates jetpack while jumping. Todd escapes slime planet.
THE END

Slime Modes

There are six adventures to choose from:
Easy
Gameplay is quite balanced and versatile.
Logic
The gun won't work. Heavy emphasis on puzzles and instant-death surprises.
Exploration
Maze-like level design with destructible walls everywhere.
Suspense
This is basically race against the clock.
Action
Gameplay is focused on killing monsters.
Arcade
Insanely difficult in all aspects. Every room is filled with monsters and invisible traps. Reaching the final secret exit might be impossible even with perfect playing. (I tried it and failed.)
Only one adventure can be completed in a single playthrough. This TAS aims for completing "Suspense" as fast as possible.

Slime Objectives

• Aims for fastest slime
  • Takes damage to save slime

Slime Shots

Truncated: It's a pretty horrible game. It was not that easy to decipher what was going on, either. The consensus in the discussion topic seems to be that this should go to the vault, and I agree. In other words, accepting for Vault.
It would perhaps be interesting to see that insanely impossible mode beaten in the future, if it is at all possible.

Ilari: Got the files...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2221: Aqfaq's Genesis Todd's Adventures in Slime World in 02:15.58
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2105)
I've never expected this game to be TASed...
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Senior Moderator
This game is… quite the bad. I never thought anything released prior to Duke Nukem 64 could lag so much with so little actually going on the screen. I'm very sure making a complete TAS of it without vomiting was a challenge in itself, I commend you on that. :)
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
Should be published purely because of "Takes damage to save slime". I'll get around to watching it.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Player (147)
I'd just like to mention here that this game also has an Atari Lynx port (or is it the other way around?).
Nach wrote:
I also used to wake up every morning, open my curtains, and see the twin towers. And then one day, wasn't able to anymore, I'll never forget that.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
This TAS was played pretty well, with regard to strategy, as well as taking damage to save time. That being said, the game was worse than I expected.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
This game seems to run at 30fps AND lag when...anything...happens on the screen. and down to 20 and 15 pretty consistently. Wow. Of your 8135 frames of movie, 6040 were lag (non-input) frames. I'd say this game is qualifies as awful. I also didn't particularly enjoy watching TAS. The fact that it felt like it was grinding to a halt most of the time didn't help.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... om, nom, nom... nom nom
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
I'm not sure this submission qualifies for vault. It uses only one mode out of six possible modes and the "ending" doesn't feel complete.
Post subject: T's adventures in slime world: YouTube + lossless video file
Player (65)
No vote, put it in the vault. antd, you can prevent the "Movie finished" by disabling Messages in Options->General...
Editor, Experienced player (894)
Well, if "Suspense" is basically a time trial-mode, I don't think it's a bad idea that the TAS is done on it. But I guess if you were really precise about it (and if I understood correctly), all the modes are quite different from each other, and would probably qualify as different categories... Jeez, this game...
Post subject: One of the worst games ever made
nanogyth wrote:
No vote, put it in the vault. antd, you can prevent the "Movie finished" by disabling Messages in Options->General...
Thanks!
nanogyth wrote:
or publish a gens emulator that says "movie Finaly finished" my ears are bleeding but yes for the vault
Sound is horrible, my ears hurt after only two minutes of watching. No vote.
No.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2290] Genesis Todd's Adventures in Slime World by Aqfaq in 02:15.58
Unfortunately, this movie misses a major shortcut that would cut over a minute from the time, and which can easily be executed by a human in real time (I did it yesterday). At 0:36, if you climb the left-hand wall instead of continuing normally, you enter a small secret area. Shoot the left-hand wall in that room, and the exit is right across the gap (which you can jump across). There's no need to get the jetpack. Also, this movie (and future movies for Todd's Adventures in Slime World) should really be listed in the format "Todd's Adventures in Slime World (Suspense)", since each scenario deserves its own TAS. In Suspense, it might be that there's a way to jump off the icy walls and never have to deal with the fall at all; I think I remember managing an ice-wall jump at least once. BTW Arcade mode isn't that hard -- it's certainly challenging but not impossible, and it doesn't have the insane number of hidden monsters that are present in Logic mode. That said, I haven't tried for the secret exit, but I was able to reach the normal one with enough practice.
Patashu
He/Him
I approve of making Todd's Adventures in Slime World TASes shorter. (Not sure about the 'each scenario deserves its own TAS' part, mind you. That would mean more TASes of this game would exist! :O )
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
This game was also originally an Atari Lynx game. The view is much smaller than in the Genesis version, but it has widespread, attention-grabbing use of sprite scaling; and while it doesn't have the best audio in the world, it's significantly less ear-splitting than the Genesis version's. It makes me wonder if the next TAS of this game should be done on the Lynx version, and whether any tricks used in this movie could be done on the Lynx version as well. (In case anybody forgot, Lynx movies are allowed and we already have one published.)
- The Green Herring
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Hi goldenband! Welcome to TASVideos! A very nice first post you got there. I totally agree with you. So, who's up for the challenge?
Patashu wrote:
I approve of making Todd's Adventures in Slime World TASes shorter.
Heh, I figured someone would say something like that. :D It's ugly and tooth-grindingly difficult, but there's legit gameplay there. If you parse it through the lens of a mid- to late-1980s computer game (which is really what it is at heart), its flaws and frustrations are pretty much par for the course.
Aqfaq wrote:
Hi goldenband! Welcome to TASVideos! A very nice first post you got there. I totally agree with you.
Thanks! Long-time listener, first-time caller.