Kato-chan Ken-chan TAS by TaoTao

I have wanted to watch a TAS of this game for a long time. Recently I knew that we can make PCE TASes by mednafen-rr, and I made this run.

Essentials

• Emulator used: mednafen-rr 137
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Uses warps
  • Takes damage to save time
  • No death
I also used original mednafen to research various things (it has a debugger).

About the game

Kato-chan Ken-chan is one of PCE gems by Hudson (it is often abbreviated as "Kato-Ken" in Japan). This game is derived from a Japanese TV program, "Kato-chan Ken-chan gokigen TV". Main characters are Cha Kato (Kato-chan) and Ken Shimura (Ken-chan). They are famous Japanese comedians.
This is a typical side-scrolling action game, but the movement is odd a bit, and it has unique taste. You choose Kato-chan or Ken-chan as the player character, and clear stages using jump, kick, and "fart attack". You meet a boss at the end of each world. To complete the game, you must clear the world 6.
This game is released as "J.J. & Jeff" outside Japan. But, it seems there are some differences between JPN and USA version (for example, fart attack is replaced by spray attack). Strictly applying the rule of TASVideos, I wonder I should have use USA version. However, there are some differences as I said. Moreover, I think the characters, Kato-chan and Ken-chan, are essential parts of this game. But this issue may need some discussion.

About the run

This game is relatively easy to TAS, but it is unexpectedly troublesome to optimize in detail.

Character choice

Ken-chan has large maximum speed, small acceleration, small jump height, and small jump distance. Kato-chan is the opposite.
To aim for the fastest time, we should choose Ken-chan.

Route

This game has several warps. I used the warps below:
 1-3 -> 1-4
 1-4 -> 3-1
 3-3 -> 6-4
In 6-4, there is a wide pit and the hidden floor doesn't appear without the key. So, in casual plays, we usually warp to 6-3 from 6-4 and get the key, and play 6-4 again. But, in this run, I jump over the pit without getting the key, using an enemy as a stepping-stone.

Movement

The movement is managed in subpixel units. For X-direction, 32 subpixels are 1 pixel, for Y-direction, 8 subpixels are 1 pixel. In this run, a large percentage of the effort is put to subpixel optimization.
The heroes can jump to 3 heights (high, middle, low). And the jump height depends on the speed of the hero. But, we can always perform high-jump by pressing <up> and <jump>, or <kick> and <jump> simultaneously.
When the hero performs landings, he sometimes stops to move in X-direction for 1 frame. I call it "landing-stop". This is harmful for TASing and we should avoid it as possible. If the Y-coordinate of the hero exceeds (temporally) the Y-coordinate of the floor at a landing frame, a landing-stop occurs (it might be considered that "the hero is buried under the floor for 1 frame"). So, we sometimes can avoid landing-stops by adjusting Y-coordinate (stamping enemies, adjusting Y-subpixel, etc). Even if we can't avoid a landing-stop, we still can adjust X-subpixel to minimize the loss by the landing-stop. And, landing-stop is also a chance of adjusting X-subpixel.
Note: When we land on the right edge of floors, landing-stops never occur.
Ken-chan doesn't cause landing-stops when he performs high-jumps to the same height. But Kato-chan does.

Items

Potatoes increase the range of fart. 1 potato should be sufficient to TAS. In this run, I obtain a potato in the beginning of 1-1.
Curries increase the upper limit of vitality by 2. If we have vitality over 10, we can withstand the collision with a dinosaur.

Vitality adjustment

Unfortunately, finishing stages with a lot of vitality wastes time. This game converts vitality to score at the end of stages, and this process takes time in proportion to vitality (7 frames per 1 vitality). So, I could not help colliding with enemies on purpose to adjust vitality. This may not seem so cool, but anyway, I gave priority to saving time :(

Misc

In 3-1, there is a curry before the dinosaur. So it seems as if we can pass him without beating him with a fart. But actually we cannot do it, because we cannot land to next floor. If we could delay the appearance of the dinosaur by 1 frame, we could do it, but it seems impossible.

Possible improvements

After passing the goal line of each stage, it takes some time until the blue screen is displayed. And it seems the needed time sometimes changes by 1 frame. In this run, it takes 287 frames in 1-1, 3-1, and 288 frames in 1-2, 3-2. I don't know the mechanism of this thing, and I tried to save 1 frame in 1-2, 3-2, but it failed.
It seems this game is not studied so deeply. Thus, some drastic glitches may be found in the future.
Enjoy!

adelikat: Accepting for publication and claiming for encoding.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2251: TaoTao's PCE Kato Chan & Ken Chan in 07:44.10
This game is nowhere near as awesome as Dragon Egg but I will still check this TAS out when it gets published. Not gonna bother setting up Mednafen just for this though, I'm really sorry. Maybe once PCE is more common here. :)
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress." http://speeddemosarchive.com/
gocha
Any
Emulator Coder, Former player
FYI: encoded video for quick watch. http://dic.nicovideo.jp/v/sm7088500 You don't need an account to watch the video, and you can hide out the comments over the video by clicking the "..." balloon Pacman icon, or whatever. Edit: Looks well optimized. Easy yes vote. I hope you'll make an "all levels" run someday ;)
I am usually available on Discord server or Twitter.
Seems well-enough optimized to me. Barring any game-annihilating glitches, it seems good to go.
"If any man is not free, then I too, am a small pie made of chicken"
Player (70)
Pretty decent game that kept me entertained for some minutes. Voted YES on this one.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
Nice run, I vote yes. Also,I find it amusing that, if published, there will be 2 published movies that employ a "fart attack". Perhaps we should add it as an official category ;)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
fruitbane
He/Him
It's Wonderboy/Adventure Island on crack! I vote yes. It's entertaining and fast.
gocha wrote:
FYI: encoded video for quick watch. http://dic.nicovideo.jp/v/sm7088500 You don't need an account to watch the video, and you can hide out the comments over the video by clicking the "..." balloon icon.
Thanks for the link! Thanks for the dic link too, although I have a nicovideo account already. I wonder why everyone doesn't just use zoome though. Probably the same reason English speakers use Youtube, which is that it's most widely used so more people will see your videos. Edit: Hmm, still seems like you need to sign in to nicovideo to download from Vid-DL though.
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress." http://speeddemosarchive.com/
Emulator Coder
I voted yes, but the movie itself ended up being weirder than I had expected from reading the description of it. The effort put into it is obvious, but the game itself is rather an imposition on what I've lived with in the US culture. I can't think of a phrase to adequately describe this game to someone who wanted a succinct description, and that's just not something I'm used to.
Former player
Ah yes, the Japanese version of J.J. and Jeff. Loved that game, voting yes.
I think.....therefore I am not Barry Burton
Active player (277)
ugetab wrote:
I can't think of a phrase to adequately describe this game to someone who wanted a succinct description, and that's just not something I'm used to.
fruitbane wrote:
It's Wonderboy/Adventure Island on crack!
[/url]
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Experienced player (868)
gocha wrote:
FYI: encoded video for quick watch. http://dic.nicovideo.jp/v/sm7088500 You don't need an account to watch the video, and you can hide out the comments over the video by clicking the "..." balloon Pacman icon, or whatever. Edit: Looks well optimized. Easy yes vote. I hope you'll make an "all levels" run someday ;)
Thank you for introducing the video :) The low-quality version of it is a little shabby, so I recommend to watch it in 17:00-09:00 (in UTC). A warpless-run is also an item in my wishlist. It will definitely take time to complete, but I want to make it if I can have enough time.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1291] PCE Kato-chan & Ken-chan by TaoTao in 07:44.10
wow cool game. I love seeing tases of games I've never heard of. Cool TAS mate :D
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
ugetab wrote:
I can't think of a phrase to adequately describe this game to someone who wanted a succinct description, and that's just not something I'm used to.
fruitbane wrote:
It's Wonderboy/Adventure Island on crack!
[/url]
With a dash of Castlevania for all the Rewarding Vandalism, perhaps. How odd. But amusing.
If I were to make a guess as to what kind of person Kato-Chan is based on this speedrun, I'd say he's a violent person with no need for money, has problems with the "feds", eats a lot of food , and enjoys kicking the crap out of everything within kicking range. As for Ken-Chan, he seems to enjoy just randomly popping up and occasionally throwing Coke cans at Kato-Chan. In any case, this is a very quirky game with a lot of humor. The run is pretty fun to watch.
I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look. -=( http://jolikmc.tumblr.com )=-
Active player (432)
Am I the only one who noticed a desync issue with the avi?
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Former player
Just downloaded the avi and it sounds off almost right from the start. Around 2:10 min in, there are a few dupe frames that made the video look laggy. I don't know if that's the game naturally lagging or the emulator screwing up.
I got it just cuz it's a TG-16 run, and was pleased to see it's JJ and Jeff, a game I remember fondly. It's fast paced and there are tough sections where I remember that hesitating at all made the platforming and dodging enemies really tough... the best strategy was to just plow through as fast as possible. In the usa version they changed the farts to bursts from a spraycan. Did they really think people would take offense? >_< A much slower paced platformer that I hope someone does next: Legendary Axe (and sequels)
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
ShinyDoofy wrote:
Just downloaded the avi and it sounds off almost right from the start.
Doesn't sound off to me.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Former player
Check the jumps that come around 25 seconds in and the rest of the level.
See now, I thought that was just 'cause I had stuff going on in the background... But it does seem to fix itself eventually. o_o
I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look. -=( http://jolikmc.tumblr.com )=-
Editor, Publisher, Player (46)
4K 60 FPS YouTube encode: Link to video
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
I've fixed up the title a bit, as "-chan" is a Japanese suffix. Unfortunately, this means it has to be re-encoded.
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Editor, Publisher, Player (46)
Redone encode: Link to video