Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is a Tool-Assisted Speedrun of Chuck Rock, for the Game Gear. I hope this will become the first Game Gear submission to hit the main site. I play all the levels with the only goal of speed. This game doesn't have any known/useful glitches; therefore, this run aims for pure optimised play.

Game objectives (and categories too, while I'm here...)

• Emulator used: dega-1.15-win32
  • Beat the game as fast as possible
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Starts from reset
  • Kinda pacifist (enemies are killed only when necessary, there are no useless deaths)
  • Doesn't aim to collect items and power-ups: if they're collected it's just because they are on the way
  • No death
  • Manipulates luck
  • Uses no passwords
  • Genre: Platform

Comments

Where can I start? Well, for one, let's say that I used to have this game on my real Game Gear since I was a kid, and I always liked it. Combine this with the fact that the lack of Game Gear submissions on this website always seemed a bad thing to me, and you'll find out the motivation behind this submission. With the aid of Dega I play from the beginning to the end as fast as possible, all the game has been played in frame advance mode, frame by frame, with a massive use of savestates: I tried all the things I could in order to reach my goal. Too bad Dega doesn't have a memory viewer, it would have been useful in a couple of circumstances, oh well. Sometimes damage has been taken, sometimes the routes are unconventional, all in all I think this is my best attempt at a speedrun ever, and I seriously hope this is a good candidate to make the starving Game Gear section a bit more populated :)

Stage by stage comments

Level 1

Not much to see here, the first level is rather simple. Here we get introduced to Chuck's main moves: he can walk, he can jump, he can crouch, he can lift rocks, which can be used to reach higher places or to kill enemies, but also to activate the crocodile-shaped lever. Chuck has two attacks: while standing still, he can hit enemies with his belly (this attack has been used a very few times due to the fact it requires you to stop), and he can kick while jumping. The boss of this level takes a mere one hit to be killed. As I said, an easy level. Damage is taken to save time in a few places; luck is manipulated (the bouncing rocks).

Level 2

Things start to get harder. This level contains water sections. Chuck can swim, but he will eventually drown. The amount of air remaining is shown in the life icon, which will get more blue as you stay underwater. This level also contains frogs, which will jump if you jump on their head. The fight against the boss doesn't follow a particular strategy, it's a good old bruteforce attack.

Level 3

This level, too, contains water sections. Apparently Chuck can swim almost naked also in frozen water without getting ill. Damage is taken in several places to save time (the falling ice stalactites are unavoidable unless you stop, and that requires more time). The boss of this level is (in my opinion) the hardest of the game. It takes 20 hits, which aren't few per se already, and the sloppy hitboxes and his tricky attacking pattern which makes him invulnerable for most of the time don't help. To beat him I have to follow a (boring?) attacking pattern too, as a sort of dance between Chuck and the mammoth. I didn't take damage this time: there was little to no use. Except at the end for the comic effect, the life indicator is refilled anyway.

Level 4

The hardest level in the game. In the other 3 levels I could keep on walking right for most of the time, but here I have to stop and/or backtrack due to the placement of the enemies, sometimes not even taking damage is enough to save time. This level features bones and a free tour inside the stomach of a dinosaur. The final boss is a Tyrannosaurus Rex with boxing gloves and silly underpants. It's not as hard as the boss in Level 3. I could follow an attack pattern in this fight as well, but I thought to add some variety in this case. The difference is in the order of a very few frames anyway, so it's not really "a speed/entertainment tradeoff", it's just that it looks better. Once the Tyrannosaurus Rex is done, enjoy your non-existent credits. Last input is used to get to the game over screen.
<Explain here things the audience would probably like to see>The fact that this is an interesting game. And I hope it can be the first approved Game Gear TAS :D <Explain also things that could be improved in your movie>I think most of my paths are optimised. If something can be saved it's probably a frame war, I doubt I left out something THAT big. <You may also suggest screenshots.>None I can think of.

mmbossman: I changed to title name to be both more informative and less obnoxious. Everyone wins.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2254: nineko's GG Chuck Rock in 12:31.60
Banned User
If a mod/editor/admin (whoever has the proper permissions) can change the title from "SMS" to "GG" it would be much appreciated :)
Gone.
Editor, Active player (296)
It's a Dega movie… How does the MMV file format identify which console it was made for, if it's not always SMS? This was new information for me. http://tasvideos.org/MMV.html As for Game Gear ― I thought we were supposed to use … wait. Which emulator? I know nothing of this system. What's the screenshot resolution for it? Eh.
Banned User
Dega emulates both SMS and GG. I don't know how MMV files handle that internally, though. It's possible that the format doesn't take that in consideration. Your best bet would be to check the extension of the ROM, which is .sms or .gg accordingly. Screen resolution is 160x144 (like the Game Boy). On-screen colours without programming tricks are 32, from a palette of 4096. Refresh rate is always 60Hz.
Gone.
Bisqwit wrote:
It's a Dega movie… How does the MMV file format identify which console it was made for, if it's not always SMS? This was new information for me. http://tasvideos.org/MMV.html As for Game Gear ― I thought we were supposed to use … wait. Which emulator? I know nothing of this system. What's the screenshot resolution for it? Eh.
Game Gear is (almost) a portable Master System. SMS and GG had very similar hardware. GG even had an adapter that allowed SMS cartridges to be plugged in the GG. Acoording to wikipedia, the screensize is about 3.2 inches (81 mm), with resolution being 160 x 144 pixel. All SMS players also emulates GG. So, nyah =p About the TAS, I followed the WIPs, and I like it. The game plays differently from the Genesis version (as with most SMS/GG games), and Chuck just keep going, without any worries about the supposed obstacles. And it finishes right before getting boring =p
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Bisqwit wrote:
Well, looking at the MMV file in hex, it does list the ROM name within the file, starting at hex 64.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Banned User
I made a low quality encode. I'd love if someone with a director account could put this on Youtube.
Gone.
Wow, that was fast
OmegaWatcher wrote:
Game Gear is (almost) a portable Master System. SMS and GG had very similar hardware. GG even had an adapter that allowed SMS cartridges to be plugged in the GG. Acoording to wikipedia, the screensize is about 3.2 inches (81 mm), with resolution being 160 x 144 pixel. All SMS players also emulates GG.
But I thought SMS was higher resolution. How does the GG screen deal with that?
"No love for the game gear"
Skilled player (1670)
No. First of all, why did you drop into the acid in level 1? You can easily make that jump, saving at least 40 frames. I haven't done any other testing, but a quick look at the TAS makes me fear that it's just the tip of the iceberg. Also there were segments where you picked up some bonus food or whatever which clearly looks like it caused lag in an already wounded game. Also the second boss strategy really looked awful Is it not possible to constantly hitting him without taking damage? Plus I wondered if you had to do all that extra input after killing the boss or if the final credits etc. will appear anyway. The lack of music doesn't make the game more interesting either. Finally, I see no reason to approve of this run when it's pretty much the same game as the Genesis version except slower, no music, and overall less interesting. EDIT: Thanks jf <3
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Former player
Sadly, I'll have to agree with Cardboard. While I can't comment on those 40 frames being saved at the beginning (neat filename :P), it's a rather dull movie. What struck me most was the lack of music and the relatively slow pace throughout. I blame the game for it.
Player (98)
This movie could suffer the same fate as NSMB. How much positive bias will it receive for being the first TAS of a new console?
Player (120)
Vykan12 wrote:
How much positive bias will it receive for being the first TAS of a new console?
None, because as Wockes points out, "no love for the game gear"
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
alden wrote:
Vykan12 wrote:
How much positive bias will it receive for being the first TAS of a new console?
None, because as Wockes points out, "no love for the game gear"
None, because adelikat didn't make it. Note: I only said this so another more serious person didn't say it first. ;)
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress." http://speeddemosarchive.com/
Wockes wrote:
But I thought SMS was higher resolution. How does the GG screen deal with that?
It IS. Well, I don't have any idea, since I've never see that in action =p But I believe it should be like Super Mario Land: Small characters to make more room for bigger environments. Also take not that GG is not really a new console, it's a SMS portable and with a better color pallete. Just play the games both consoles shared, like Sonic. Minimal differences in terms of game engine and graphics. There's more difference between GB and GBC than SMS and GG.
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
Banned User
So I wonder what is the reason that prevented the ones who voted no from commenting on my early wips and help me find better strategies. And now I also wonder what's going to happen. Let's see what we have here, the first movie for a console, with known improvements, with some of the audience who thinks it's boring. Sure the NSMB episode set a very tricky precedent. Though my name isn't written in orange letters so I already know how it's going to end...
Gone.
Skilled player (1670)
What prevented me from watching the WIPs was my lack of interest in Chuck Rock for the Game Gear. I am not a good Samaritan enough to watch every single WIP posted to state my opinion. Like the rest, I only watch what I like and what I would like to see a finished run of. This is not something against you. Also this game has a clear disadvantage due to http://tasvideos.org/827M.html. This game is the same, but far inferior in terms of entertainment. That's the major reason why I voted no.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
While I get the major impression I will never want to accidently walk into that caveman. However, the lack of background music and the slow nature of the game kind of offsets the somewhat entertaining boss fights. I'm sorry, but it is a no from me.
Sir VG wrote:
Bisqwit wrote:
How does the MMV file format identify which console it was made for, if it's not always SMS? This was new information for me. http://tasvideos.org/MMV.html
Well, looking at the MMV file in hex, it does list the ROM name within the file, starting at hex 64.
So you need to suffer relying on the ROM file name extension recorded in the movie file? That's hardly reliable at all, considering precedents with FCEU where the recorded "ROM file name" has no extension whatsoever, and that in general, nothing prevents people from naming their files in whatever way they please. Argh.
Active player (277)
Who approved this format, anyway?
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
Who approved this format, anyway?
I did, in absense of the knowledge that this emulator also emulates Game Genie Gear.
Banned User
Rom extension is reliable in this case, because that's what the emulators use to determine the console too. If you rename a .gg rom into .sms it will boot into sms mode (with higher resolution and broken palette) and vice-versa. There is no other way to tell if a rom is gg or sms. By the way, the mixed response (yes and no are almost even) makes me wonder if I should try to hex the 40-frames improvement found by Cardboard in. To be honest that jump never looked really optimised to me, but I didn't try to hex it in not to fuck the rng. But I will, if that would give this better chances of publication... edit: as I thought, hexing that improvement in makes the movie desync in level 2 because a frog behaves differently. So I'd rather keep those 42 frames out, because there is a much bigger loss of time later.
Gone.
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
OmegaWatcher wrote:
All SMS players also emulates GG.
This is not quite true. The Game Gear has a display mode which allows for the 32 colors on-screen to be picked from a palette of 4096 possible hues. The SMS master palette, on the other hand, is only 64 hues. As a result there are several SMS emulators (of which Dega is one) that do not properly emulate Game Gear games. On the other hand, every Game Gear emulator is also a SMS emulator, that might just have too small a viewport.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
upthorn wrote:
On the other hand, every Game Gear emulator is also a SMS emulator, that might just have too small a viewport.
yeah, that's what I meant. Change "players" for "emulators". Sorry about that.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
upthorn wrote:
The Game Gear has a display mode which allows for the 32 colors on-screen to be picked from a palette of 4096 possible hues. The SMS master palette, on the other hand, is only 64 hues. As a result there are several SMS emulators (of which Dega is one) that do not properly emulate Game Gear games.
Given this information, and the fact that the dega movie file format can not reliably distinguish sms from gg, perhaps dega should not be approved for game gear TASes?
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Banned User
Yeah sure. I'm going to sumbit my next tas with a fake name if I want to see it approved :\
Gone.