Kuru Kuru Kururin by Ryuto

This is my first submission here.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: VBA-rerecording-19.3
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses a game restart sequence

Comments

The version of the game is a Europe version because this was only released in Japan and Europe.
This is a game in which you control a spinning stick called the Helirin and must clear mazes without touching the walls. If you've never played the game, you may know the Helirin as a stick of an assist figure which appears on Super Smash Bros. Brawl. You can record the fastest time of each stage, but if you touch the wall, 3 seconds will be added in your timer. The main character is a blue bird named Kururin. Kururin's brothers and sisters got lost in out of their country and Kururin has to save them. There are ten countries and each of them has 3 stages.
I chose a long stick and brute-forcing strategies. It makes us a little bit bored if I wait until the Helirin come to go through a narrow path without taking damage. Also the brute-forcing strategies allow using some shortcuts. After bumping the wall, the Helirin will be invincible, and will be allowed to bump the wall without taking damage for a short time. As for the hard thing when I was making this movie, since the Helirin's reaction after the bump was unpredictable, I had to test the way to bump the walls everywhere.

Special Thanks

• #TASers

mmbossman: What a very interesting puzzle game, and strangely hypnotic to watch. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and it seems other people did to, so this is an easy accept. For what it's worth, I also think that this category (takes damage to save real time) is the best category for the game, as both in-game and no damage runs would produce longer waiting periods. Anyway, congratulations Ryuto!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2261: Ryuto's GBA Kuru Kuru Kururin in 10:22.08
Nice run, the damage did make it pretty interesting, a "no damage" run probably wouldn't be as enjoyable.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
Is it this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJmR2APCidM You just went for real time instead of in-game time. I think it is a lot worse than in-game time, but then again the run is finished, something that has never been achieved for this game. I just don't know how perfect it is because honestly I don't have time to compare it all right now. But I know I would prefer an in-game time run with damage only if it saves time.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
FODA wrote:
I don't have time to compare it all right now. But I know I would prefer an in-game time run with damage only if it saves time.
I think this is one of the few exceptional games where takes damage to save time/takes no damage would be acceptable categories. EDIT: Voted Meh
Former player
Is there a different ending for getting all the birds and taking no damage? I thought it was a enjoyable run, voting yes.
I liked the run and would love to see an ingame time run as well. Yes vote.
Editor, Expert player (2312)
Nice movie. I remember well that I worked on this game back in 2008, but I gave up on it when I found Zefiris' WIP that had faster times. I already watched your movie on Youtube and as soon as I saw the submission popping up, I voted Yes on it.^^ I'd also be in favor of a no-damage run. But what about the bonus levels? I can remember playing the first level of it half-way through with the use of savestates but it just was awfully long that I lost interest in seeing everything of it.
Skilled player (1530)
FODA wrote:
Is it this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJmR2APCidM
Yes, it is the same video I have submitted here.
MUGG wrote:
But what about the bonus levels? I can remember playing the first level of it half-way through with the use of savestates but it just was awfully long that I lost interest in seeing everything of it.
The run of this game tends to be repetitive. Therefore, completing ten countries is enough even if I make a no-damage run of the game. I think.
Active player (353)
I watched the run on youtube before (and linked it to this site), having played the game it's a very nice movie to watch! However I have no idea if it's of any interest for ppl that haven't played the game... personally I'd love all variations of runs on this.... dmg/no-dmg, real/ingame-time edit: oh and i voted yes because I think the run is good quality (other ppl will have to decide on entertainment :P)
TASes: [URL=http://tasvideos.org/Movies-298up-Obs.html]Mr. Nutz (SNES), Young Merlin 100% (SNES), Animaniacs 100% (SNES)[/URL]
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
Indeed it looks polished. But we've seen in the past that this game is unforgiving when it comes to comparing to real records (my point is that it may look polished but that doesn't necessarily mean so). My main interest in this game is the records, so taking damage for real time completion was a let down for me.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
And I think the opposite - I think taking damage for faster overall completion was a total win. Though indeed I would like to see a no damage fastest IGT run, but this was fantastic in and of itself. Yes vote from me.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Editor, Player (53)
Watched the video on youtube. I liked it very much & hope that an in-game run could also be made. Voting yes :)
I'm the best in the Universe! Remember that!
I watched this earlier on yt. I thought the health management was pretty good then, too, so yes. edit: I think that having both categories would be good.
Player (208)
I've never played this game. From viewing, I think both categories for this run would have pros and cons. This run takes some interesting shortcuts to save real time, and doesn't spend up to 3 seconds waiting for a better rotation. I'm fairly confident there would be a lot of 2 second wait times in an in-game time run, which would detract from its entertainment. At the same time the in-game run would be comparable to world records. We're missing bonus levels? Projected completion time of those? I'm sure this game should have a publication, but I'm not so sure about the category. If created, the in-game run should take damage where it makes the ending clock time faster. I don't really see any reason to have a completely no damage run. I think this run should have two categories, and if that is the case this should be published. If I had to choose only one category to be published, I'm not sure if this is it or not. Yes vote, keeping that in mind. I'm also wondering if bonus levels should be included or not.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2104)
This run is awesome due to going forward continueously while bouncing between obstacles. That is to say, it is awesome due to aiming for fastest real time while taking damage. Yes vote.
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1307] GBA Kuru Kuru Kururin by Ryuto in 10:22.08
What was the launch price of this game? I don't think I could bring myself to spend even $10 on something like this.
I loved the machine world - seeing the stick fly between the tiny gap as 4 squares rush to crush it was exhilirating. Also, it was fun seeing some shortcuts in the star world. For much of the game, it felt like there was a 'lack of percievable danger' somehow. That, for me, detracted from most of the run. For much of the game, it seemed almost 'too easy' and yet the path was pretty similar to how I'd play 'manually'. I loved this game when it first came out (owning it within a week of Japanese release) and still hold the game in high regard but I'm not sure it makes for the most engrossing TAS. A no damage/all items run would be something I'd be very interested in watching but I'm not sure it'd be a cracker.
I'm just some random guy. Don't let my words get you riled - I have my opinions but they're only mine.
Editor, Player (44)
applepieman wrote:
Is there a different ending for getting all the birds and taking no damage? I thought it was a enjoyable run, voting yes.
No, but if you complete each level as a no-damage run at least once (and probably also get all the birds, I don't think anyone ever doesn't do that) it unlocks three bonus levels at the end, which are long, empty-ish levels with no healing points.