Submission Text Full Submission Page
Two Genesis Shining games down, two to go.
  • Manipulates Luck
  • Kills characters to save time
  • Uses death as a shortcut
  • A singular entertainment for speed trade off
  • Used Lua extensively - Lua should be listed as an author

About the Run

The first of the Shining series, SitD is a far departure from the subsequent Genesis games of the series. However, the final boss, and final boss music are identical to that of the sequel, Shining Force 1. It is a standard dungeon crawler RPG, with the normal expected leveling, fighting your way slowly through the dungeon, and returning to town to heal. Of course, being a TAS, there are only a few 'random' encounters, and instead the heroes walk blissfully easy through the dungeon, beating up bosses, only to be destroyed at the end, and sent back to town. Unfortunately, like many RPG TASes, this also means lots of boring walking to watch. I include a script to make this slightly less annoying, hopefully.

About the Game

You are the son of Darth Vader a Knight of the realm of Thornwood. Your father and the Princess have gone missing. You are sent to investigate the only other location in this small world, to see if that is where the Princess is hidden (um, duh?). After determining the Princess is held there, you must traverse 4 Trials (Strength, Courage, Truth, and Wisdom). By traverse, I literally mean traverse. Each of the trials can be completed individually simply by walking through them. Granted, normally you'd encounter monsters, but that doesn't happen in a TAS. Additionally, boss fights are required to obtain an item to access the next trial.
Once the 4 trials are completed, the hero and his party are granted access to the upper floors. These upper floors have balconies that probably could have been scaled to by a smart person. No one said your hero was smart. You encounter your father at the 4th floor, and are forced to kill him to save the Princess.
Of course, you don't actually HAVE to save the Princess to win the game, so just keep walking, and kill the big bad guy behind it all. When all is over, the Princess magically appears back at the castle, and all is well. Strange, couldn't she have just done that in the first place?

My buddy, my buddy, my buddy Lua and me...

Surprise, surprise, Lua played a big role in the making of one of my runs. One of the most difficult things to do in the run was to traverse the dungeon without encounters. When re-doing the run repeatedly, I wrote a Lua script that calculated how to avoid encounters, and how to load an 'alarm state' and modify the walking on the chance that an encounter did happen.
All big encounters near the end required a large amount of Luck manipulation. (See WangChung). However, once you make the final selection in a battle, the next round activity is untouchable, due to lag frames. Therefore, it was far too difficult to reverse engineer everything that happened. Lua to the rescue. While I slept, Lua went through every possible battle that could happen, and wrote it to a text file that could be opened in Microsoft Excel, and then sorted. Of course, Lua was then told the value I wanted, and using a quick script, executed that value. (Thanks to Nitrodon for explaining how to do this).

Everybody have fun tonight, Everybody Wang Chung tonight...

Wachunga! For those who do not know this game, I will talk a bit about Gila. I pick him up in the Cavern of Strength, and he stays with me until the end of the game. Now, in the run, he attacks every turn. This is a result of luck manipulation - He only has about a 10% chance of attacking. (Small note, it is determined before the round whether or not he attacks, making the luck manipulation more difficult). Also, when playing the game normally, you lose him when you spend a night at the Inn. This being a TAS, I die for my all my healing, and thus he stays, Wachunga'ing his way through the entire game.

About the final boss

Magic Rings reduce the amount of damage magic does by an additional percentage of -25%. Thus, with 2 Rings, Z takes 56% of magic damage, and Pyra takes 42% with 3. This was the only way I could survive Demon's Breath. Additionally, Darksol's 2nd form gains 100 Hp per battle round. Thus, I use some of the Forbidden Box's slower spells (the roulette wheel) to decrease the amount of healing he is able to do. Also, after his arms drop (< 1200Hp), he either casts Demon's Breathe every round, or swings with his tail (200+ damage to Z).Thus, I deal just enough damage to get his Hp to 1208, to allow one more round of roulette before switching to the slower Attack/Heal combo required to win.
It would have been slightly faster to have the box deal damage in the 2nd to last round, and then have the tail kill Pyra at the end round.... but I think my decision to end the game the way I did was far superior, and it appears most viewers agree.

Item management

You might notice that I never drop an item, I instead either break it or transfer it to Milo. This is faster, because when I get 4 items from drops for Pyra, it does not require me opening the menu to transfer them. (Item drops go to the next available space)

Watching the run

Thanks to LagDotCom and Dammit, I have a Lua script that shows a map of the dungeon, here. This should make viewing the massive amounts of walking slightly more bearable. EDIT: Added Enemy HP watch, per LagDotCom's suggestion.

Thanks

Thanks go to matO for the suggestions, LagDotCom and Dammit for the script/map/idea. Zucca for being a WIP watcher, and others.
Also, please remember that Dungeon Crawlers have a hard time getting published - So if you enjoy this run, please post! Thank you.
Suggested Screenshot:

adelikat: Accepting for publication.

DarkKobold: Canceling, will resubmit faster movie soon.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2285: DarkKobold's Genesis Shining in the Darkness in 47:04.98
Skilled player (1484)
Ending was more entertaining than I though :) Of course I voted yes. Lua map was nice addition.
Projects: Warlock, Ren & Stimpy (impr) / Generations Lost (impr.)
Ahahahahahaha! Yeah I love this. I think with an onscreen lua Enemy HP counter this is definitely publish-worthy.
Voted NO for NO reason
Former player
That was the most epic final boss fight EVER.
Damn, I still need to finish this game normally. Anyway, I'll happily watch this when I've got the time, I have to leave soon.
The end was definitly... ... ... yeah this was the best :) The lag counter about the "special effect" was quite impressive too, I think you have about 3000-4000 single frame input. I've never see such TAS like this.
Emulator Coder
As is inherent to this game, there was a good amount of walking. Getting that amount of boring walking must have been hard work on the script in the later areas. Between the walking you have moments of confusing intensity, often followed by otherwise pointless death. That you beat the boss and get clobbered by the weaklings is a bit funny, once you get past the 'Huh?' factor. I found your manipulation of the forbidden box rather amusing. I can see that it was a crucial element that would likely be a throwaway item to some people. I did have to look up the function of Magic Rings in a guide to have any clue about why you apparently got so many at the end. Overall, I can't see how this wouldn't get posted.
I look forward to seeing an encode, preferably with the mentioned extra scripts running. :) Additionally, it'd be nice to give a brief overview of the goals you have to accomplish during the game, so we have some familiarity with what exactly you're doing.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
I vote yes, sure, there is a hell of a lot of walking but good god, the ending made up for it. All of it.
Former player
Flygon wrote:
I vote yes, sure, there is a hell of a lot of walking but good god, the ending made up for it. All of it.
I think I'd have to agree with this. Yes vote. Given the sheer repetitiveness of the dungeon visuals and such, it looks even more annoying to play normally than say, phantasy star for sms.
Active player (276)
I am unfamiliar with this game, but that didnt stop me watching it all the way to the end. Ignoring the large amounts of walking, it was still an enjoyable watch. Voting yes
I want to see this published, as I'm a major fan of the game. A little boring at times, but the ending (and my familiarity of the game) certainly make it worth it. Also, I think an enemy HP bar/counter might be a good idea, but it might detract from the movie... I'd have to see it with it to decide....
"If any man is not free, then I too, am a small pie made of chicken"
arflech
He/Him
Go to the post linked from the description, save that script as map.lua, and load that in along with the input file when playing back the movie, to see what it looks like. It's a small map of the labyrinth that appears on the left side whenever the player is in a labyrinth, along with an HP counter that appears during a boss fight; it does not detract from the movie because it appears in that large black border on the left.
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Not much for me to add that hasn't already been said, but let me say that the Forbidden Box-dancing Darksol was hilarious. Yes vote for sure, and I'd recommend it be encoded with the map script running to help reduce confusion.
Previous Name: boct1584
arflech
He/Him
Solon wrote:
Not much for me to add that hasn't already been said, but let me say that the Forbidden Box-dancing Darksol was hilarious. Yes vote for sure, and I'd recommend it be encoded with the map script running to help reduce confusion.
I'm trying my hand at it. Okay, I don't know how to make the AVI show exactly the emulator output, even with h.264 selected under ffdshow (I was following adelikat's method); I was able to get the map on the encode, but it's too smoothed-out to be readable, especially the blue text on a black background; that color could be changed to yellow or white for contrast, but someone more knowledgeable should encode this, because there's no way I'm submitting a crappy 800MB AVI even as a test encode (I mean I could use mencoder for a couple passes to reduce the size, but it would still look crappy). I will go ahead and show part of it, though, the first 30 seconds of Labyrinth time: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ziz2drhm2oo/SITD.avi I must say that changing the blue text to yellow makes it much clearer.
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
Player (83)
This was awesome, thanks so much. Yes Vote.
I would vote, except the movie keeps desyncing on me. It might help next time if you list the emulator you used in the submission information... Edit: Just so no one has the same trouble I did, the movie runs fine on Gens11a. Edit: Okay, I'm voting yes on this. Seeing Dark Sol dance was worth watching this whole thing. xD
Skilled player (1636)
Please hold off on encoding this. I have an improved movie of this at home, with a completion time of 44:27. Here it is http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1912681888/DarkKobold_SitDv3.gmv Changes are all after the Shell Beast on Floor 3 I don't pickup the Light Helm, or any Rings. I make another speed/time entertainment trade off. I level quite a bit off of Crystal Oozes, to get to level 22. I use the Forbidden Box in a different way in the final battle. Please replace the submission with this movie.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Experienced player (822)
An improvement of over two and a half minutes is more than enough to warrant an entirely new submission.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Skilled player (1404)
Uh Flygon... What's with your avatar?
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
That happened to somebody's sig at Bemanistyle as well.
Previous Name: boct1584
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... om, nom, nom... nom nom
Ferret Warlord wrote:
I'm a Shining Force addict. I play it, I animate it, I hack it, I breathe it. Well, perhaps not the last one.
Skilled player (1404)
Flygon wrote:
Ferret Warlord wrote:
I'm a Shining Force addict. I play it, I animate it, I hack it, I breathe it. Well, perhaps not the last one.
Not the one you have right now; it was different for a while. I since learned that Imageshack got hacked recently.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.