Submission Text Full Submission Page
Sonic The Hedgehog. It's all I need to say.
  • Game Gear Version
  • Emulator used: Dega 1.16 MAME core
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Genre: Platform

Comments

(I don't speak english) This game is similar to the Master System, but has significant differences. The Game Gear version has a better gameplay.
On stage 1-1 I invented the "stop to save time", as do the stage in less than 20 seconds generates a count endless score.
In stage 1-2, I copied the performance of Alden.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2396: wwmarx's SMS Sonic the Hedgehog in 18:17.17
Active player (301)
Alright, let's see... Green Hill 2: At the end, when you flew off the ramp, you went very high and had to pull back to ensure you landed on the signpost. I suspect that if you tapped left and then down again just before going off the ramp, you'd curtail the height enough that you could just hold right all the way to the finish for minimal loss in speed. Bridge 1/2: No thought whatsoever given to lag reduction. Yes, it's an absolute nightmare (and the reason I decided not to TAS this game), but if you're going for real time (and you are, because you're stopping in front of each signpost to stop it flying upwards), you must make every effort to reduce lag. This can be done by a) avoiding the bridges if at all possible, b) killing enemies and destroying boxes as soon as they appear on the screen (more relevant to act 2) and c) losing your shield somewhere in Bridge 2. It won't cost you any time and the lag from it is costly in later levels. Additionally, on Bridge 1 if you roll just before the weight hits the other side of the seesaw, you'll get the same effect as rolling off a ledge. If you also bounce off the checkpoint up there you'll keep gaining speed on the bounce as well. Jungle 1: This level had a couple of really good moves I hadn't thought of myself, like rolling onto the shield. The finish looked a bit odd as well. Jungle 2 / Scrap Brain 2: On both these levels (where you're ascending through platforms) I suspect that you moved laterally more often than was necessary. Since the foremost objective is just to reach the top, you shouldn't be moving side to side unless that's where the platforms are. Labyrinth 1/2: Some areas when you're turning around in the water you spend a long time turning, when you probably could've done it a lot quicker just by using a larger jump. Also, when you're rolling, pushing the direction you're moving in slows you down faster than pressing the opposite direction... I know, it's ridiculously counterintuitive. Scrap Brain 2: It's about 15 seconds faster to take a death after flipping the switch to change the doors around - that teleporter is actually a checkpoint. I can respect the decision to go deathless, though - it certainly looks better. Sky Base 2: It's possible to complete this level in eight seconds: after the platform with the third cannon on it, turn around and jump off to the right. You'll appear to roll across the top of the building at the end, and then you just fall off and walk in. Even given some of this information wasn't available to you (as my speedrun isn't yet on SDA and Sprint's individual level videos have disappeared from the internet), and parts of it are really very good, I must vote no and urge you to run it again with this new information. Good luck should you choose to do so :)
GoddessMaria
She/Her
Reviewer, Experienced player (849)
I must say, this run was a bit interesting and the author of this had done pretty well in providing some entertainment as well as playing the role of aiming for the fastest time. I indeed vote yes for this run.
Current projects: failing at life
Former player
The run itself was good, although I would have enjoyed the SMS version a lot more personally. I also found your stylistic choices during the autoscroll level and waiting periods rather meh as that constant spinning noise distracted from that beautiful 8bit music :( In the end, it's still a weak yes vote.
I adamantly vote no. As per the other sonic runs (and sonic speedrunning in general), I personally view avoiding score-counting by slowing down to be annoying at best, and blasphemy at worst. it makes comparing times horrible. Also, please post a level-time list for comparison when there's an in-game timer.
"If any man is not free, then I too, am a small pie made of chicken"
Active player (277)
Right, I stopped the movie at the end of 1-1 and got 19 seconds myself to see what would happen, because I thought the submission text meant there was a glitch that would cause the score to literally tally forever. But no, it just gives you 300000 instead of 200000. It does last a really long time, though, so long that it's funny in a way. They couldn't find a way to count more than 100 points per frame and stop wasting the player's time? Really?
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Player (120)
Whoah, surprise! Can't watch now but will be interested to see. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe I improved 1-2 over whatever I posted here... anyways, I'll post something less useless later I guess :)
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Player (191)
Green Hill 2: the problem is that sonic hits the ground when it falls and the board goes up, even retreating. bridge - really have much lag. Good tips. Scrap brain: to die to save time is something I had not thought ...
Por que praticamente só jogos de futebol têm versões em português?
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
No vote, mainly because I have philosophical disagreement on the point of stopping to avoid a score counter, but also because of mike89's list of improvements above. This run has potential, though!
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, bitter!
Player (191)
I choose to cancel this submission to improve this run.
Player (120)
Here's a trick in labyrinth that is fun and saves time: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1963552637/aldentrick.mmv It can be used one other time that I know of, maybe you can figure out how to use it more effectively. (Spoiler: vertical zipping!)
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Post subject: Re: #2396: wwmarx's SMS Sonic the Hedgehog in 18:17.17
Skilled player (1307)
NesVideoAgent wrote:
On stage 1-1 I invented the "stop to save time", as do the stage in less than 20 seconds generates a count endless score.
Wait a minute! All it does is give you 300000 points. Sure its a long tome but people would probably care less about the score rather than the speed.
Player (191)
Nice trick, Alden... I 'll Incorporate it into my run.
Former player
Can't you guys rather get together to make a run of the SMS version of it? Just saying
ShinyDoofy wrote:
Can't you guys rather get together to make a run of the SMS version of it? Just saying
This man of intelligence and honour has put in the honest truth. Dignity of this game shall only be achieved when TASed in a Master System like manner.
ShinyDoofy wrote:
I feel some NEGATIVE PEER PRESSURE from a mod D:
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Former player
May I interest you in some cheese? :)
Active player (277)
Doesn't the Master System version make you wait a lot more on the first boss, though? Unless you know of some trick to jump higher...
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Player (120)
Yes, along with a bunch of other things that are slower. I think it would be a good idea to do an all-emeralds run on the SMS version personally, but with my rate of output who am I to complain?
i'm always for 100% runs, i'm for the a all emerald run too !
Player (191)
The main problem of the SMS version is the jungle stage-2. The scroll does not follow the Sonic. It is very complicated. The GG version achieves greater speed.
Former player
Given the incredible amount of lag on the GG version, I somewhat doubt it can get any worse. Then again, I haven't played it on SMS for a long time.
Active player (301)
It doesn't get worse, but it doesn't get better either. The lag is equally significant on both versions, as far as I can tell. Of significant note is that the Master System version has much more sensible time bonuses (I believe the largest is 30000, one order of magnitude less than the GG version). However, the GG version is significantly faster in levels: something like 20 seconds quicker on Green Hill 3, six seconds faster on Bridge 2, and much faster in Labyrinth 1 due to having a shorter level layout. And that glitch alden linked to in Labyrinth? GG only! I dunno, I'm happy to see a run on either version... the SMS version might be better for the viewer, I don't know.
Game Gear please