Submission Text Full Submission Page
This movie is merely 1 frame faster than the previous one by HappyLee, due to faster wall-entering on "Stage -3", which was considered unimprovable.
I was just curious about how useful the new acceleration method could be, which this movie shows, and made it in less than one hour. "Stage -1" is made a little more humourous, I think.
Thanks to Phil and HappyLee for their nice movies.
I would like to see new tricks found to improve this movie further.

adelikat: You sir, have been bested!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2420: klmz's FDS Super Mario Bros. "-3 stage ending" in 02:46.28
Convincing enough for publication.
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
Hey, improvements are improvements, even if it's only one frame. It's still a good run.
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Expert player (2453)
Umm...I can't believe someone's actually improving this one, although I can easily improve by myself... klmz must be mad at me at the time I broked his SMB2J record. What a terrible revenge.......
Recent projects: SMB warpless TAS (2018), SMB warpless walkathon (2019), SMB something never done before (2019), Extra Mario Bros. (best ending) (2020).
HappyLee wrote:
Umm...I can't believe someone's actually improving this one, although I can easily improve by myself...
But you didn't, so that's his name in the first post.
Stage -1 was fun - Hey, there's princess there! Hey! Hey, where are we going, she's back there... Oh, there's another one! No, no, why go farther, let me go back!
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2105)
HappyLee wrote:
Umm...I can't believe someone's actually improving this one, although I can easily improve by myself... klmz must be mad at me at the time I broked his SMB2J record. What a terrible revenge.......
With all due respect, this movie doesn't aim for stealing the World Record from you, but it is merely my homage (or satire, depending on your point of view):
klmz wrote:
However, I'd like to make clear that, in fact, you didn't gain any 1-frame with "a better flagpole glitch/whatever", but instead you gained most of them thanks to the new acceleration trick carried over from smb1, for which you should give credit to me specially ;)
klmz wrote:
This movie is merely 1 frame faster than the previous one by HappyLee, due to faster wall-entering on "Stage -3", which was considered unimprovable.
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Experienced player (699)
This was a very simple TAS to begin with (Only 5 levels). A 1 frame improvement actually IS something here. I'm curious whether you could beat the last level any faster. Seems like it could be possible. EDIT: I have a few ideas to possibly improve these smb TASes. I'll be experimenting...
Super Mario Bros. console speedrunner - Andrew Gardikis
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
Also to be fair, it is a 1 frame improvement based on a new technique. One discovered by klmz himself and has been known for awhile now. However, I do imagine a 1 frame improvement stings a bit. But that is the nature of the beast when you compete against short, popular, and highly optimized movies.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Expert player (2453)
I thought I discovered this technique. I have used it in my SMB2J movie several times on the wall. The improvement here is actually from the beginning of that level, not on the wall.
Recent projects: SMB warpless TAS (2018), SMB warpless walkathon (2019), SMB something never done before (2019), Extra Mario Bros. (best ending) (2020).
Senior Moderator
Well, if you know of an improvement to a published movie, make a new one and submit it. If somebody else knows about an improvement and do it first, basically, all you can do is look for further improvement — you can't invalidate the competition. If you improve this movie by another frame, by all means, submit! Otherwise, please drop this pointless discussion (and that's aimed not directly at you, but to everyone participating in it). It just happens so that debating whose name needs to be written in subtitles and who needs to be credited for a trick never once lead to anything productive, let alone non-obnoxious. This forum has quite a history on the subject, you're free to revisit it at any time.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
HappyLee wrote:
I thought I discovered this technique. I have used it in my SMB2J movie several times on the wall. The improvement here is actually from the beginning of that level, not on the wall.
But this technique was shown in our published warpless movie long before your SMB2J movie.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Experienced player (699)
EDIT: Well anyhow, I think there were two improvements for the 1 frame gain?
Updated MKV. Raiscan has saved my ass, the MKV's are now 100% VLC compatible.
Expert player (2453)
New improvements, everyone! I will improve this with klmz together. The new movie will be coming soon!
Active player (308)
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
Experienced player (699)
HappyLee wrote:
New improvements, everyone! I will improve this with klmz together. The new movie will be coming soon!
Really!? I'm surprised and looking forward to it! :) EDIT: I'm guessing that there was slightly better wall entering, but the acceleration from klmz in the wall was better.
Expert player (2453)
I am looking forward to it, too. I will finish this movie as soon as possible, but it's hard to contact klmz. I think this movie will be more powerful if he joins.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2105)
So did you contact me? O_o
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Expert player (2453)
klmz wrote:
So did you contact me? O_o
Yes, I did. (On Baidu XX)
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech!