Emulator Used

FCEUX 2.1.2-interim

Main Priorities

• Aims for fastest time
  • Manipulates luck
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Takes damage to save time

About the Run

Ghostbusters is a game in which you have to go to buildings, which you do so by moving around on an overview map of the city, and catch ghosts (you need to buy the proton beam and ghost trap to catch the ghosts). The more ghosts you catch the more money you make which is used to buy things to help you get up the stairwell in the Zuul Building. You also need the money (at least $15,000) to get into the Zuul Building. In the Japanese version of this game, there is a glitch where the player can go to the shop and buy the Ghost Alarm for $2,000 and trade it back in for $3,000. Every time you do this, you can make a profit of $1,000 which makes it easy to enter the Zuul Building early in the game.

The Making of This Movie

For the driving scenes, I moved the car around so that the stopping time is not so delayed. The most challenging part of this was the stairwell scene. The strategy I used for this stage was opening the doors on some of the floors which luck manipulates the ghosts so that they are easier to dodge. The final boss, Gozer, was also difficult because there were so many shots on the screen. The Ghostbusters can only take up to so many hits at a time and there is no recovery time which makes the boss even harder. Thankfully, Gozer doesn't take that many hits to kill, so I just avoided all the projectiles while shooting at the boss and it was over before I knew it.

Special Thanks

I would like to thank everybody on the forum for supporting me on my speedruns. I would have never completed this run if it wasn't for everybody's encouragement.

Baxter A game completed a lot faster than intended, and a well executed TAS. Nice in a technical aspect, but the actual gameplay is rather uninteresting and only the short length of the movie keeps it from getting (too) boring. There is enough support for this TAS to warrant publication. Accepting.

Alden: I got Ghostbusted trying to encode. Sorry.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2433: GlitchMan's NES Ghostbusters in 01:34.98
Skilled player (1402)
いい Has to be the shortest ending text in video game history... It doesn't top the ending text they had in the (U) version though... which I won't spoil... Be sure to watch AVGN's movie of this game if you haven't already http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry-video-screwattack/17324 I don't know if an AVGN movie should influence what I vote... but after watching it... one is interested how it looks when it's completed as fast as possible. It wasn't extremely entertaining... but it's very short, and I certainly wanted to see it. Plus it looks pretty optimized, voting yes.
Experienced player (620)
Baxter wrote:
いい Has to be the shortest ending text in video game history... It doesn't top the ending text they had in the (U) version though... which I won't spoil... Be sure to watch AVGN's movie of this game if you haven't already http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry-video-screwattack/17324
I already watched AVGN's review of it over the summer this year. In fact, that was the first episode of AVGN I had watched (It was really funny how he tore up this game! I couldn't stop laughing! :D). That's where I got the idea to make this speedrun. Also, I did play the (U) version of this game too (I have both versions on my computer right now)! :D Let me tell you, there were a lot of typos (Conglaturation! WTF!?! XD) in the ending of the (U) version of this game! Even I have to admit this game gets tedious after playing it for a while. :( At least I'm done with it! :)
Baxter wrote:
I don't know if an AVGN movie should influence what I vote... but after watching it... one is interested how it looks when it's completed as fast as possible. It wasn't extremely entertaining... but it's very short, and I certainly wanted to see it. Plus it looks pretty optimized, voting yes.
I know! This is so exciting! My first submission ever! It's no Mega Man game but it's a start. :)
Player (120)
Holy crap, brilliant. You need to send this to AVGN... Short movie == lazy encode from me! Also DailyMotion for those who are also lazy!
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Active player (432)
Sigh... At least the developers could have let the characters wear grey uniforms. Pretty awkward looking game but it was short and pretty decent. Voted yes. Congratulations on your first submission.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Thanks, Baxter, for linking the AVGN review. I gotta say, I have a lot more appreciation for how annoying this game must be to run after that video. Basically, although the game has graphics out of the Atari dumpster, and it keeps looping the same theme (actually, a lot of the game makes me think of Takeshi No Chousenjou), you beat the game before there's really a chance for it to get too boring. The boss fight is reasonably cool too. Yes vote.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Experienced player (620)
Thanks for congratulating me on my first submission, everybody! For fighting Gozer, I wasn't sure whether to buy the Hyper Beam or the regular Capture Beam at the beginning (you have to buy a proton beam in order to enter the building). I tested with both of them and it turns out that the type of beam you have doesn't affect the number of hits it takes to kill Gozer. Besides, it was faster to buy the Capture Beam because I won't have to spend as much time doing the "buy and trade back Ghost Alarm to gain money" glitch.
Honestly, while this run is only a minute and a half long, I still used fast-forward while watching it. There's only about five-ten seconds of interesting stuff in it, which is a pretty lousy ratio for any game. Voting meh. I'm not convinced that "publish it because it's short" is a good rationale.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Experienced player (699)
Pretty funny and a short display of the game. I'm a big fan of seeing games beaten in like a minute. yes vote! :)
Super Mario Bros. console speedrunner - Andrew Gardikis
Former player
Baxter wrote:
いい.
Just ran that through some translation service... Does it really just mean "It is good"? What a crappy ending text :D It was a relatively good watch knowing the AVGN review, but I'll somehow have to agree with Derakon. The reason I didn't fast forward through the stairs part was because I hadn't heard the Ghostbusters tune in a rather long time and enjoyed the music over the actual gameplay. Still, I'd love to see the (U) version of it as it's the version The Nerd ranted so much about. Maybe you could upload it to http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php before submitting it just to see if it makes any difference entertainment-wise? After all, it's a weak yes vote from me.
Player (36)
It just means "Good."
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
You've got to be kidding me. You bust your balls avoiding those ghosts while climbing 23 flights of stairs and all they say is, "Good"?
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Skilled player (1705)
Nice run!! You sure made a hard game look easy!! Oh, and how long did it take you to mainipulate those ghosts in the zuul biulding anyway?
Experienced player (620)
jlun2 wrote:
Nice run!! You sure made a hard game look easy!! Oh, and how long did it take you to mainipulate those ghosts in the zuul biulding anyway?
Thanks! :D It took 3 days for me to complete this entire run. The stairs took forever (2 hours for each day) and the ghosts were really hard to luck manipulate. It took 6 hours total for me to TAS to get up the stairs without getting killed by the ghosts.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
Wait a second, I tried "TASing" this game and to the extent of my knowledge you need to wait exactly 10 minutes until you can enter the ZULL building. So in fact you can wait 10 minutes and enter with any amount of cash OR get $15,000 and enter anytime?
Experienced player (620)
FODA wrote:
Wait a second, I tried "TASing" this game and to the extent of my knowledge you need to wait exactly 10 minutes until you can enter the ZULL building. So in fact you can wait 10 minutes and enter with any amount of cash OR get $15,000 and enter anytime?
That's right (according to this TAS)! :) Also, I didn't know waiting 10 minutes is another way to get into the Zuul Building too. I thought it was just getting the $15,000 and then you can enter. When did you start TASing this game (just curious)?
does there are some other interesting glitch in the american version?
Skilled player (1885)
Thanks for the encode, alden. I think I'll have to go with what Derakon said on this one - although it was short, I found it quite uneventful. There is no doubt in my mind that it's very optimized, and I'll give you some credit for beating this game ridiculously fast. I'll throw in a meh vote on this one. EDIT: Oops, I accidently voted yes on pure habit. Oh well. :)
Experienced player (620)
Yeah, sorry that the staircase section took up roughly 3/4 of this video. I couldn't help it (too many ****ing floors). I understand that the staircase wasn't the most exciting part of the movie. I am so glad y'all saw the effort I put into making this movie. :)
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
GlitchMan wrote:
FODA wrote:
When did you start TASing this game (just curious)?
I'm not sure, probably 2 years ago already. I was just making a proof of concept run, and when I found out that I had to wait 10 minutes I chose another game to TAS.
Player (120)
I thought the staircase section was the best part actually, but probably only because I know how hard it can be and it was awesome just seeing them zip (well, mosey) up them.
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
I couldn't get the GhostBusters theme out of my head so I voted yes. One thing I will say is what were the developers thinking when they decided that 23 flights of stairs was appropiate. Also the * SMS version of the game is a lot better, so shouldn't that be taken into consideration. *yeah it still sucks
Player (36)
That's because that's how high the building was in the movie.
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Skilled player (1431)
OmnipotentEntity wrote:
That's because that's how high the building was in the movie.
Yeah, and everything else in the game is taken so acurately from the movie so of course they had to make the building have the correct amount of stairs :)
Agare Bagare Kopparslagare
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
Congratulations on your first submission, GlitchMan! It looks good for a TAS in my opinion (as some stated, it looks very optimised). So I went ahead and voted Yes on this one.
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.