Submission Text Full Submission Page
<Alfred Chicken on the nes>

Game objectives

• Emulator used: <Fceux-2.1.2>
  • <Fastest Time>

Comments

My first attempt at a TAS.

Nach: Rejecting because this is a sloppy run.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2447: xxstimpzxx's NES Alfred Chicken in 14:56.94
TAS tools don't seem to allow for anything that a reasonably skilled speedrunner couldn't do in realtime. It's also pretty boring at less than %300 speed, so I'd reject it as poor game choice. The playing also looked imprecise throughout. I've never played, so I don't know, but the delays in the first underwater looked unnecessary, for one example. I could swear I saw some missed shots on the final boss. There was also no style; long delays where you just stood there waiting for a platform. Generally, we would try to do something amusing at these points. Voting no, but better luck next time. Try getting feedback on the forums before posting your submission.
Skilled player (1404)
Hmm, I'll have to check this out later, considering I tried my hand at this already. Just might have a reason to break out my old computer for a bit...
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
I kind of prefer the SNES version of this game anyway. the NES game just seems bland to me. I could be biased since I only ever knew of the SNES version though.
You kill a bunch of enemies that you don't seem to have to (and for whom killing them slows you down), and I second the deal about wasted frames underwater. Better spatial management overall would be good, really, and yeah, the game is pretty boring. This one is borderline to me. The TAS isn't horrible, but the game itself is subpar for TAS consideration. If there were a vote between Meh and No, I'd be picking it.
Player (120)
Hmm... I am excited to see an Alfred Chicken run and have worked a bit on the NES version as well, but it looks like this run could be optimized quite a bit more. I also question whether an optimized run would be accepted, although I personally think it should be. Here's a WIP of the first level that completes it over a second faster, if my math is right: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1367716681/Alfred_C_alden.fm2 And here's an almost real time demo I made just now of a shortcut in the water section of the second level that saves over 30 seconds: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1478147870/Alfred_Chicken_Shortcut_alden.fm2 I honestly didn't watch the movie past that point so there could be other big timesavers, but I found that shortcut in a FAQ on the Internet, so with a Google you can be as much of an expert and I am (not really much of an expert at all). I hope you'll keep working on this and post some WIPs the forums! Edit: Oh, haha, I just realized Ferret posted a wip too... his first level is clearly even faster than mine (though he missed the water shortcut too :P)
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Skilled player (1404)
A shortcut in the water room?! I really must break my computer out soon!
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Publisher
I have not personally played the game, but like Dromiceius said, it looked a bit imprecise. Good job on your first attempt though!
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech!
Skilled player (1404)
Okay, so I managed to recover this game and my movie. I found the shortcut. Man, that would have been so nice to know...