Post subject: Lyle in Cube Sector
Player (147)
Lyle in Cube Sector is an awesome freeware, retro-style, action-adventure platformer (read: Metroidvania). You can get it here. This topic is for the purposes of planning a speedrun (TAS or not) of the game. There are three different versions on the site: 1.04, 1.05a, and 1.05. The main differences are as follows:
1.04 -> 1.05a
- Infinicubes are kickable. :-)
- Lyle is harmlessly bumped by slow-moving green cubes. :-)
- Game ported to MMF2.
- One of the songs was replaced due to compatibility issues :-(
- Music starts about half a second into the song. :-(

1.05a -> 1.05
- Resolution doubled to increase fullscreen mode's compatibility with some monitors. Otherwise, it's graphically identical.
- No other changes.
I vote on using 1.05a. Despite having a couple musical issues, the gameplay changes may make for a more interesting TAS. I don't suggest using 1.05, because it would bring nothing new to the table other than encoder headaches. Any objections? Now onto the route. The game allows you to save and quit at any time and you always restart at the same place (Lyle's house), so the route can easily be broken down into segments.
LYLE IN CUBE SECTOR
ANY% - W/SAVEWARPS

Segments 1 & 2
- Get Cube Lift (12,9)
- Get Cube Jump (25,11)

Segment 3
- Get Cube Kick (2,11)
- Fight Klobbur (8,2)
- Get Phantom Magic Cube (7,2)

Segment 4
- Get CP Orb at (15,7)
- Fight Buzzby (22,4)
- Get Giant Cube Lift (21,4)
- Get HP orb at (20,6)
- Get CP orb at (19,5)
- Get CP orb at (20,11)

Segment 5
- Get CP orb at (10,4)
- Get both CP orbs at (13,1)
- Fry egg (16,2)
- Get CP orb at (16,4)

Segment 6
- Cash in all 7 CP orbs at CP room (16,11)
- Use teleporter (15,11)
- Arrive back in teleporter room (8,8)
- Get HP orb at (9,11)
- Teleport to final area (5,12)

Estimated TAS time: ~15 mins

Notes:
- All coordinates are relative to the top-leftmost accessable square on the map.
- For reference, Lyle's house is at (11,8).
- All HP orbs are optional. They are merely included here for the convenience of an unassisted runner.
- At least 7 CP orbs are required to complete the game.

To Be Tested:
- Skipping the CP Orb at the end of Segment 4 (20,11) in favor of getting the Dog's CP Orb at (4,5) during Segment 5.
- Skipping the CP Orb at the beginning of Segment 4 (15,7), combining Segments 3 & 4, and collecting BOTH the Dog's CP Orb (4,5) and the CP Orb at the end of Segment 4 (20,11)
- Not using the teleporter room during Segment 6.
Map of the Route Note: Segments 1 & 2 not pictured due to their obviousness. (Map blatantly stolen from this guide) Aside from a couple untested things that I noted, I'm pretty sure this route is solid. Oh, and here's pictorial evidence that this game dislikes sequence breakers. >:(
Nach wrote:
I also used to wake up every morning, open my curtains, and see the twin towers. And then one day, wasn't able to anymore, I'll never forget that.
Skilled player (1307)
Ive discovered how to skip Klobbur. Ill see if I can get a video or screen shot later.
Active player (283)
I also discovered how to skip him. If the solid block is far enough to the left, you can jump off it while picking it up, then jump out of the room through the exit (which the game designer forgot to close). For reference, I tend to finish around 27 minutes unassisted (single-segment, without save/death warping).