Summary

• Emulator used: VisualBoyAdvance 1.7.2 re-recording v21
  • 40 lines mode, level 9, height 5
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Manipulates luck
  • Genre: Puzzle

Description

This is a 241 frame (4.02 second) improvement over the current published run.
Most of the improvement came from luck manipulation. The block sequence is affected by operations (slide, rotate, drop) or pressing Select to show/hide the next piece. This makes it possible to get some but not all kinds of tetrimino you need without losing any frames. Actually, I just tried hundreds of fastest (or at most 1 frame slower) inputs of the single placement. I also made the platform like NES Tetris, so that I could save three frames per tetris. It's a small improvement, but entertaining to watch.
Thanks to all GBC and NES Tetris runs. I hope you enjoy.

cpadolf: Accepting as an improvement to the published run.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2471: veup's GBC Tetris DX in 00:35.18
Skilled player (1402)
You are actually the first to submit a run that obsoletes a published run of mine, congrats :). Very nice improvement too, 4 seconds is a lot more than I thought would be possible. Great job! Voting yes.
Lex
I watched Baxter's run and your run back-to-back. There's a clear change in strat and a huge (>10%!) improvement. I love it. Definite yes.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
Obvious yes vote for improving a run this short by this much. Encode: http://www.archive.org/download/VeupsGbcTetrisDxIn0035.18/tetrisgbc-tas-veup.mkv (wait a few minutes if you can't get there right away) DailyMotion: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xba93s_veups-gbc-tetris-dx-in-003518_videogames
N._Harmonik
She/Her
Another Tetris run so soon? What next? Tetris 64?
Why, oh, why do I even <i>try</i> to understand my own species?
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
N. Harmonik wrote:
Another Tetris run so soon? What next? Tetris 64?
Yeah, and maybe The New Tetris.
That was insane. The good kind.
Skilled player (1530)
I never thought Baxter's run could be possible to improve by four seconds. Compared with previous run, the strategy of your run is definitely different from it. The way of putting peaces is impressive. I enjoyed the run. I hope you will make another Tetris run. I'll vote yes.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
veup is the new Tetris master! YES vote.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Skilled player (1885)
Very nice and short, I vote yes!
Senior Moderator
Sir VG wrote:
veup is the new Tetris master!
That was some rapid dethronement. :D
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
Now that the run has been accepted... Suggesting frame 662 or 673 as screenshots (probably the latter), just before (as with old run's screenshot) or during the first line clear. Have some optimised pngs:
Suggested description wrote:
This movie plays the GBC version of Tetris, aiming to get the required number of lines as quickly as possible. Of course, the best course of action is to only get "tetrises" (four lines at once). This is a 4.02 second improvement over the previous movie.
(...which is pretty much the same - just edited for grammar and conciseness, and also gets rid of "this time" which is an artifact of the very first submission for this - the then-author also did an NES Tetris run.)
I'll take it for encoding and see if I can get smaller then Grunts encode (For reasonable quality, of course), if not, consider another encode of yours accepted. =P
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1405] GBC Tetris DX by veup in 00:35.18
That's quite a crafty tactic, shortening the falling distance... I loved watching this. I think that keeping the ending at the end of the .avi is a nice conclusion though, even if I'd skip it when rewatching.
I'm just some random guy. Don't let my words get you riled - I have my opinions but they're only mine.
Bugger it, the encode broke on YouTube.
Banned User, Former player
The GameBoy Color has a vertical resolution of 144 pixels. What's the point in encoding it with a vertical resolution of 1080 pixels? EDIT: Ah, I totally forgot about this.
Here are fully functional files: Archive.org (MKV format) YouTube This repost is because the old YouTube link and encode was broken. It is in MKV format because MP4 does not support PCM. I send special thanks to OmnipotentEntity and Aktan for help.
It may have been a joke, but I actually really like the 1080p version. When stretched normally, the video would interpolate the colours - even the 360p version looks relatively blurred and muted - but doing it via a 'nearest neighbour' method just makes the pixels look so crisp and sexy. Maybe not 'true' for NES/Snes games since a CRT would blur the pixels but I would still support a sexy 1080p SMB encoding.
I'm just some random guy. Don't let my words get you riled - I have my opinions but they're only mine.
Bezman wrote:
Maybe not 'true' for NES/Snes games since a CRT would blur the pixels but I would still support a sexy 1080p SMB encoding.
You called?
Awesome! Fun to watch again but it was DK that REALLY made use of the crisp, large pixels. The bold colours in DK and the simple shapes are really lovely and can definitely be better appreciate in HD. The others that I watched didn't have quite the same majesty but there's definitely something appealing about seeing the crisp edges of these chunky pixels. Please carry on with your HD versions.