In New Super Mario Bros, Mario once again goes from world to world trying to rescue Peach. Now watch as Luigi proves to his brother that anything Mario can do, Luigi can do better and faster.
This run is an improvement of the current published run, completing it faster by about one and a half minutes.
  • Emulator used: DeSmuME version 0.9.4
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Manipulates luck

Comments

At first, I thought there was a gameplay difference between Mario and Luigi. But now, I know that there really is no difference between Mario and Luigi in this game.
In an any% speedrun, you take a cannon from world 1 to world 5, another cannon from world 5 to world 8, and complete world 8. This run does that as quickly as possible.
In order to achieve fastest time, I relied a lot on watching the addresses of Luigi's speed. That way, I can be assured that I gained speed for the most possible number of frames and lost speed for the least possible number of frames. This is especially used in levels where you generally go from left to right.
Note: As long as the jump to the flag gives 1000 points or less, there is no time loss. So I used the flag to aid in luck manipulation
The most frustrating part of making this run was the manipulation of the movement of the Item Boxes and Hammer Bros. I actually stopped the run for a few months because I couldn't figure it out. That is, until I learned how to use RAM watch. Using RAM watch, I was able to narrow the addresses down to a few. I used them to see what address values to avoid. If certain combinations of values led to undesirable map movement, I would try to avoid that combination of values as I play the level. Whether these results are just coincidence or not, I cannot be certain. One thing I do know is that it helped me.
I used the following tricks/techniques in this run:
- Corner Boost: By pressing the jump for a certain number of frames at certain times, you would miss the block but get a small boost. Usually this leads to .5-1.5 frame saved
- Super Corner Boost: By ducking, you can jump at a block. If done right, Mario/Luigi would straighten up just as he hits the block, doubling or tripling his speed for 1 to 2 frames. This can lead to 1-3 frames saved per boost
- Shell Jump: Similar to a trick involving Diddy Kong in Donkey Kong Country. When you are in the shell and going off a cliff, you can let go of the dash button and jump. Even though you are not technically touching any solid ground, you can still jump. This was done once in my run.
- Rope Jump/Rope Boost: As Luigi grabs a rope, he gets a small boost in speed to anywhere between low 50 to high 80 depending on where on the rope. However, when the rope is grabbed, Luigi loses most of his speed. So, if you jump just as you are about to grab the rope, you would get the boost and jump off the rope without losing speed.
- Delayed Cliff Hanging: Throwing an item delays Luigi's cliff hanging.
- Second Wall Jump: This is usually possible after a normal wall jump as mini-Mario/Luigi. After this, if you jump at a certain frame to do a second wall jump, you jump upwards. This is useful in gaining vertical ground (especially if you cannot reach it normally with a wall jump). One can tell that a second wall-jump is possible if Mario/Luigi's speed for one frame suddenly becomes a value in the 20s (this is the frame to jump at)
- Ducking Direction Change: When running in one direction, duck, then turn the other way. You can change directions very quickly without sliding

Stage by stage comments

1-1

Small number of frames saved from corner boosting.

1-2

Focused on trying to minimize speed loss in this level.

1-Tower

Tried to keep speed at 48 while trying to break the blocks as Shell Luigi.

1-Cannon

Nothing new here.

5-1

I noticed later on that the Luigi's actions kinda went with the level's music, to my amusement. Touched the flag at the exact frame that the timer hit 365.

5-2

Tried to stay in the shell for as little time as possible. Also managed to avoid fireworks.

5-3

Rather than killing the Snailicorn, I tried to avoid them so that I can avoid the slower "inside the shell" dash.

5-Ghost

Stored a Fire Flower. Got the mini-Mushroom. Apparently the Hammer Bro's item depends on the frame it is killed. Mini-Luigi also manages to squeeze past Broozers, saving a bunch of frames.

5-Cannon

Because of mini-Luigi's floatiness, I had to get to the cannon in one jump, which involved slowing down for a couple of frames while in midair.

8-1

Crowber bouncing. Nothing else to say here.

8-2

Mini-Luigi's ability to walk on water and do the second wall jump allowed me to save a bunch of frames.

8-Tower

More use of Mini-Luigi's floatiness and the second wall jump to scale the tower faster. Had to rely on coin collection to manipulate Hammer Bros movement to 8-3 since killing enemies would waste more time. Used the stored Fire Flower at the end to kill Bowser Jr faster.

8-3

Water-only levels have been a bane to my gaming for a while. Got a Blue Shell for swimming because 27 speed per frame is much better than 18 speed per frame.

8-4

Tossed away the Blue Shell before I arrived at the left-right platforms. Tried to get the highest average speed during that segment.

8-Castle

First use of the Super Corner Boost and Rope Jump/Boost. Movement along the platforms made to try to maximize speed and not spend too much time on a single platform.

8-5

More Super Corner Boosts. I tip over the unstable rock things(?) to get tiny speed boosts.

8-6

A different and faster route from the currently published run.

8-7

Used the delayed cliff hang to gain some frames. When I get the star, I try to be in the air for as little time as possible.

8-8

More Super Corner Boosts. When I got the star, I tried to get to the ground as quickly as possible to get the Star Dash boost for as long as possible.

8-Tower2

More of a freerun because there isn't much to do to save time overall. I did get a Fire Flower so that the Bowser Jr fight would go by quickly.

8-Castle2

Different approach to the flame-throwing things and generally trying from one door to another with as little delay/slowdown as possible. Also, Bowser fails at grabbing ledges (either that or the floor is slippery).

Special Thanks

- All those who helped me understand how RAM watch and RAM search works
- GreenaLink for help in power-up planning
- adelikat for the .wch file that contains some very important addresses
- LightBlueYoshi for some of the cool tricks mentioned in the description of his unfinished any% run.
If I missed anyone, I apologize.
Note: So I've heard that version 0.9.5 is out. I see that it takes away much of the map lag. So if it is possible, I'd appreciate it if someone made a video encode using this new version. Thanks.

adelikat: Accepting as an improvement to the published movie.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2473: TRT's DS New Super Mario Bros. in 25:00.75
arflech
He/Him
Unfortunately the changes between 0.9.4 and 0.9.5 break the savestates, so the run would need to be re-done with the new emulator.
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
This is so good. The play around in 8-t2, in particular, is seriously entertaining. I loved it. Yes. You should do a warpless run ;)
Skilled player (1431)
Very good run. The improvements to the published movie are often very noticeable, and overall it is much more entertaining. Voting yes. I would also like to see a 100% run :)
Agare Bagare Kopparslagare
Player (59)
This is an entertaining run, never thought of the Koopa shell trick on 8-7 you've used to delay Luigi's cliff hanging and 8-6 seems fresh to me. 8-T2 was pretty suprising to watch as well on how limited you can do and yet still make it entertaining. Yes vote from me. *To viewers: Luigi getting damaged at 8-4 is not a mistake because losing the Shell is the only way to become a Fire plumber otherwise, collecting it (as Shell plumber) would have taken it into the Reserve item slot. Also Luigi cannot wall jump off spikes so taking damage on 8-T2 is a bad idea. If anyone wants to know, the 100% run will be at least over 2 hours and 30 minutes of input. I would have made a TAS route by now but I need to find out if 7-2 All star coins run can be done without both the lift and avoiding to use a Mini mushroom.
greenalink.blogspot.com
Expert player (2453)
Cool! I love this run.
Recent projects: SMB warpless TAS (2018), SMB warpless walkathon (2019), SMB something never done before (2019), Extra Mario Bros. (best ending) (2020).
Active player (276)
Looks sweet, yes vote from me :-)
Emulator Coder
Well, nice to see Nintendo staying with what works :P Nice run too.
Player (116)
like the run, really really entertaining, YES vote. is anyone going to work on a 100% run?
[19:16] <scrimpy> silly portuguese [19:16] <scrimpy> it's like spanish, only less cool
Skilled player (1431)
Greenalink wrote:
If anyone wants to know, the 100% run will be at least over 2 hours and 30 minutes of input.
But wasn't your speedrun only 2:26 or something, or is that due SDA's timing differences?
Agare Bagare Kopparslagare
Player (59)
Cpadolf wrote:
Greenalink wrote:
If anyone wants to know, the 100% run will be at least over 2 hours and 30 minutes of input.
But wasn't your speedrun only 2:26 or something, or is that due SDA's timing differences?
Yeah it's SDA's timing, I guess they didn't count the intro cutscene (40 seconds long) and the ending (over 5 minutes long). The extra 4 minutes was the file select sereens from all 45 segments and the 'proof' section on segment 45. It would be great that the next run should use 9.4 or 9.5 to avoid the emu lag issues on the world map sections.
greenalink.blogspot.com
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
The improvement is obvious; yes vote. Side comment: I consistently could not get this run to sync properly (watched the wmv instead). I could watch as far as 1-cannon, whereupon Luigi would not make the second jump into the cannon and instead decides to slam into the side randomly. Any suggestions?
Former player
I have tried watching this movie in several different versions desmume, with results varying from "dying in the first stage," "getting a fireflower and then dying in the second" and "not jumping into the cannon, instead hitting the side" which is the most popular result. I refuse to download the wmv on the basis that it's almost 700MB for a 25 minute movie, which is ridiculous. Care to elaborate which version of desmume you used? The versions of .9.4 linked on sourceforge do not work (standard, no_sse, dev). gocha's 0.9.4+ doesn't work either. This makes me wonder, has anyone watched the dsm successfully, or has everyone who commented thusfar only watched the wmv?
Atma wrote:
This makes me wonder, has anyone watched the dsm successfully, or has everyone who commented thusfar only watched the wmv?
In the NSMB thread TRT mentioned he was using 0.9.2+ to do the run...try that.
sgrunt
He/Him
miseiler wrote:
Atma wrote:
This makes me wonder, has anyone watched the dsm successfully, or has everyone who commented thusfar only watched the wmv?
It appears to sync in 0.9.2+ here... thanks! EDIT: It desyncs on World 8 tower 2 shortly after the checkpoint is hit... anyone sync further than this...?
Former player
miseiler wrote:
I see, that's not 0.9.4 like he listed in the submission though :P I got to the same point as grunt did when it desynced. you hit the halfway point in 8 tower 2, and then a little bit later you jump on the spikes and then fall to your death.
TRT
Former player
Atma wrote:
miseiler wrote:
I see, that's not 0.9.4 like he listed in the submission though :P I got to the same point as grunt did when it desynced. you hit the halfway point in 8 tower 2, and then a little bit later you jump on the spikes and then fall to your death.
You know, I find it interesting because, for me, it tends to desync in 8-6 and 8-T2 as well. However, this only happens some of the time. It also should be noted that I was never able to directly compare my WIP with any other WIP because the other WIPs would desync early in the run as well. Perhaps it has to do with computers (I use a laptop). Edit: Oh, and I did use 0.9.2+ earlier in my run, but when I found out that there was a 0.9.4 that played the dsm properly, I switched to 0.9.4. It indeed played normally. There shouldn't have been problems.
Publisher
TRT wrote:
Atma wrote:
miseiler wrote:
You know, I find it interesting because, for me, it tends to desync in 8-6 and 8-T2 as well. However, this only happens some of the time. It also should be noted that I was never able to directly compare my WIP with any other WIP because the other WIPs would desync early in the run as well. Perhaps it has to do with computers (I use a laptop).
TRT, is miseiler correct in that version 0.9.2+ was used to make the movie, not 0.9.4?
TRT
Former player
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GUMSCQD2 Try this link. This is the same .dsm file but it has extra frames at the end that do not have any input. Before I submitted the .dsm file, I thought that the time is determined by the number of frames of the movie. So, before I submitted, I removed the last few frames because there was no input there.
sgrunt
He/Him
TRT wrote:
Edit: Oh, and I did use 0.9.2+ earlier in my run, but when I found out that there was a 0.9.4 that played the dsm properly, I switched to 0.9.4. It indeed played normally. There shouldn't have been problems.
Two questions: a) at what point in the run did you switch over, and b) were/are you using the plain 0.9.4, gocha's 0.9.4+, or something else entirely? Several of us tried playing back the original run with 0.9.4 and 0.9.4+ and it consistently desynced at 1-cannon (if not before that under some combinations of settings). Having more info about the setup of yours that plays the run back correctly would help immensely. EDIT: I also don't think the presence or absence of blank frames at the end has any impact on earlier syncing of the run.
TRT
Former player
Hmmm...with 0.9.4+, it never gets past 1-1. And I switched from 0.9.2+ to the plain 0.9.4 at 5-Ghost, so if the problem is in the switching, it should have been there. Edit: OK, I guess I forgot to include something in the set-up. Under "Frame Skip", I unchecked "Limit Framerate" and instead of "Auto", I checked "0". If this is a significant change, I'll include it in the run description.
sgrunt
He/Him
I have had frameskip set as you describe for most of my attempts at syncing. Can you provide us with the .ini file you're using for playback? (Are using 0.9.4 for playback, or 0.9.2+?)
arflech
He/Him
Did you try Gocha's build of SVN r2872?
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
sgrunt
He/Him
arflech wrote:
Did you try Gocha's build of SVN r2872?
I don't think we've tried that specific revision (is it even available anymore? There's a newer version available), but the most recent version of Gocha's build had exactly the same issues as plain 0.9.4 when I tried it.
arflech
He/Him
He posted two patched SVN builds (similar to the upgrade from 0.9.4 to 0.9.4+); 2872 was the relatively stable one and 2882 was more experimental, and he did not update them since then, though I imagine he will come out with a 0.9.5+ soon
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png