(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page

This movie was made in the yearly developement stages of yabause-rr, im deciding to submit now because one way or another i need to see public (and judges...) reaction upon filling more category with this game (port).
There is not much difference with the PSX Richter version of this movie, except this one will look more sloopy due to some differences between engines.
If public get mad and think there is too much SOTN already on the site, its fine, this was experimental movie (that turned out well) and im not going to cry if its rejected.
If its get accepted (or encouraged at least) ill work on a more optimised version of this run, but before thats lets see opinions around.
My ambition was also to make a alucard run, since it can be a bit different than psx, eventually 100% so it can goes in the "extra" areas not present on psx.

Game objectives

• Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Manipulate Luck
  • Does contain Skirt/Pants trade-off
  • Emulator used: Various revisions of Yabause-RR (replay good with latest r2443)
  • Rerecord count : Anywhere 15'000-20'000 range

Notes

There are various small sound glitches, those are also present in maria movie, beside the outfit richter is the same guy doing the same thing in the same game, killing shaft.
Richter movements are not stricly identical to PSX version, the high jump does go higher, and the "air dash" is slightly smaller (needing me to often use jump where it doesnt in psx).
Many rooms layout are different in term of proportion, this disable me to do many nice tricks you can see in the psx version (like in labs for instance).
The out of the bound trick in psx (castle keep) doesnt work on saturn, i could have use the one maria does in chapel, but due to lack of air kick and such, it would be considerably slower for him.
By coincidence, maria and richter times are very similar. (18 frames faster for richter)
Due to some glitchs with early alpha version of the emu, i kept loosing rerecord count regulary, this took about 2 full week to produce
The most improvable part i think is the castle keep (both reverse and regular ones), i keep using the airdash there will i should have try to floor dash more often

Well i dont realy know what to add up, many of you probably already saw the youtube clip on the forum, for others i hope youll enjoy :D

adelikat: Seems this one is too similar to its PSX counterpart and was deemed an inferior port as judged by the audience. Therefore, rejecting.

adelikat: unrejecting for consideration for the Vault

adelikat: Unlike when this run was originally judged, ports of the game game to different consoles is not a factor when judging the run. Due to the viewer response, this movie would only be eligible for the Vault. However, this movie is slower than the published movie (amazingly slightly so). Therefore it can not be considered for the any% category, and so it must be rejected.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Senior Moderator
I watched this movie. It went exactly as said here:
arukAdo wrote:
There is not much difference with the PSX Richter version of this movie, except this one will look more sloopy due to some differences between engines.
Bottom line: no need for the less optimal run on same category on an inferior port.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
same as moozooh said, i didn't notice much difference exept the costume,and it's slower than the psx one we should keep only "one" richter version, but if you manage to make a saturn version faster than the psx one, i'll be glad to see obselting the current published run. also i'm looking forward the 100% run
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
I can think of one advantage of having a run of the Saturn version here, and that's not needing to start from a save state (always a plus in my book). For that reason alone, I can envision a run of this type eventually being published. That having been said, you've mentioned that you think a more optimised version of this run is possible, and using the latest and greatest version of the emulator would be a good step towards doing that. I don't think, however, that this iteration of the run should be published. Therefore, no vote, but with the hopes that we can see an improved version of this run at some point in the future.
I'll cast another No for the reasons everyone else has.
If you do an another run with would be under huh... 6minute?(I don't know if that's still decent) with an new unexpected route, I think that could be nice. About the game, does the sound is really like your encode? Actually if it is, I might prefer Nocturne in the Moonlight since these explosion from blowing up those monster by the beggining are less annoying than SOTN. thought yeah, people there are looking for 100%.....
moozooh wrote:
Bottom line: no need for the less optimal run on same category on an inferior port.
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech!
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
So, I think for the [http://tasvideos.org/Vault.html] rules, that similar versions of the same game across platforms are eligible for the vault. But for the [http://tasvideos.org/Moon.html] tier, we should demand some more notable differences between the two versions. So is this too similar? If so, should we still publish such similar movies to the vault? Should the faster be the one published (SDA rules)? Let's discuss.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Mecha_Richter
He/Him
I'm not familiar what this new vault and moon thing is, but I'll give my input on the run itself. It looks good, but I fail to see the point. It's not faster than the PS1 version. I think with more research, there are a lot of opportunities for out of bound skips (the Saturn version is literally held together by duct tape and hope, so it wouldn't be hard to do). Along with that, the Saturn version has a lot more lag, more screen transition loading (for example, the throne room area), thus adding more time, and the sound just wasn't enjoyable. I think if you were to make a Saturn SotN TAS with Richter, it should be all bosses. I say this version as opposed to the PS1 version only because the Saturn version has an extra boss in the Underground Gardens, and if anyone is familiar with my Richter all bosses runs, it would make for a really entertaining TAS.
adelikat wrote:
So, I think for the [http://tasvideos.org/Vault.html] rules, that similar versions of the same game across platforms are eligible for the vault. But for the [http://tasvideos.org/Moon.html] tier, we should demand some more notable differences between the two versions. So is this too similar? If so, should we still publish such similar movies to the vault? Should the faster be the one published (SDA rules)? Let's discuss.
it might be a bad idea, or else we might see the vault becoming full of "same run but different consoles runs " if the run is too similar, let's go by the sda rules :the fastest win.