This movie is a 5417 frames improvement over the published movie, this movie removed 3887 lag frames comparing to the precedent one, using the same route.
The lag removal is from using a more recent version of desmume, improvements also come from better movements patterns and luck manipulation (thx to gocha), also a much better end boss sequence
An attempt with alternate route suggested in the old movie can be found here
A release package is available for download, it contain all 3 movies, ram watch, and lua scripts

Summary

• Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Use Game Restart Sequence
  • Abuse Programming Errors
  • Manipulate Luck
  • Official Encodes [1]
  • Emulator used: DeSmuME 9.5
  • Frames:xxxxx Lag:xxxx Re-records:xxxxx

Fix soon and fill with more stuff!
Merry Christmas to all and hope youll enjoy !

Official Encodes[1]

Closings

Thanks to Aktan for encodes, and pcejin team for one of the best tasing emu around :p

adelikat: Accepting for publication as an improvement to the published movie.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2514: arukAdo & gocha's DS Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin in 10:14.85
Editor, Experienced player (730)
Good improvement. I'm glad to see the lag fixed. Yes vote.
Homepage ☣ Retired
gocha
Any
Emulator Coder, Former player
"Well done! Here, take this." Yes Vote received. "Well done! Here, take this." Yes Vote received. "Well done! Here, take this." Yes Vote received. ... Good improvement to watch, especially lag-free boss fights are awesome, voted yes. Well, the latter half part is totally done by arukAdo, not me. So this isn't a self-praise :p
I am usually available on Discord server or Twitter.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
Just when I thought I had gotten "Jonasan! Sharotto!" out of my head from the last run, along comes this... It flows much smoother than the old run in places, and I salute your lag reduction efforts. Yes vote.
Banned User
Yes.
Active player (292)
just watched up to the point where you did the save file drawing and that was a big enough improvement to justify a yes vote.
N._Harmonik
She/Her
What's this? Five different Castlevania runs on the Workbench at the same time? Hurry up and either publish them or feed them to the Grue!
Why, oh, why do I even <i>try</i> to understand my own species?
Experienced player (954)
I have updated the download package with a ghost dumped from old movie trought 9.2+ for those whilling to toy around or just simply compare. It is not yet possible to encode this, so in the meanwhile you have to play it yourself, youll need DeSmuME 9.5(~?)+, be sure to follow this instructions to "upgrade" your desmume with gb library too. Simply decompress PoR_1.1.zip then play the movie (2514S) and start the vs[1293M].lua Note: the script "sync" at each room changes, since you dont change room at dracula... no update... also it seem sometime the ghost "cheat" a little :p (remember this is very experimental at this point, no money will be refund!) Ah yes also, ill try to fix soon the submision text, its bad right now and not much informative on improvements, the final sword one was edited Edit: after some testings with lua, 2514S beat 2514S, yeah the ghosts are still very very very experimental ^^
I assume the bit of standing around right near the end (before Drac started his "drop flames from the wings" attack right before dying) was to manipulate his attack pattern, presumably to prevent another wing crush? Anyway, yes vote on an improvement in the Castlevania with the most ludicrous movement technique yet.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Experienced player (954)
Right, i had to stop hitting him in order to let him start the "flame trower" sequence, ill try to cover improvements in details tomorow. Note that the mechanism to start the wings crush is based on dracula hp (very "sensitive" btw), 3333>1666>888HP are the value that trigger the start of the wings, once he finish his current attack cycle, he will (instantly) switch to wings. This was unexcepted improvement, in 9.2 im slower somehow (i tryed this tactic...) and i couldnt smatch him 900hp (im assuming lag wasnt helping for that matter...). I can admit a lack of creativity here, i could have dance pretty much during pause, tbh, it was troublesome to get here to say the least and i just took care to have him lowest hp possible (around 900), blame some lazyness from me on the ending (this somewhat happen often to me Oho, bad habbit!)
Former player
I'm not much of a fan of glitch-heavy runs, but this is a nice improvement on an already good glitchy run. Yes vote.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2105)
Yes vote. I am looking forward to another improvement though.
Comicalflop wrote:
I'm glad to see the lag fixed.
For this particular game, DeSmuME 0.9.5 has significantly less lags then 0.9.4+ with "Fix ARM Cycle Count" enabled but more than 0.9.4+ with "Fast Fetch-Execute" enabled. Compared to the real DS hardware, 0.9.5 is still laggier. True Draclua's flame-drop attack should be less laggy, for instance.
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Player (98)
I found the exploits of this run pretty annoying to watch, particularly the one used to stock up on cash. The technical quality was good enough for a yes vote anyway.
Experienced player (954)
klmz wrote:
I am looking forward to another improvement though.
Theres one in the pipes, its for next year tough, its nowhere near complete. (ghosts are going to be great help for obsoletion, now) Here a little video that compare both movies using amaurea script (converted by gocha) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9N4ww8k3bY
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1437] DS Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin by arukAdo & gocha in 10:14.85
arukAdo wrote:
klmz wrote:
I am looking forward to another improvement though.
Theres one in the pipes, its for next year tough, its nowhere near complete. (ghosts are going to be great help for obsoletion, now) Here a little video that compare both movies using amaurea script (converted by gocha) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9N4ww8k3bY
Can you tell me what that orchestrated version of Green Hill Zone is called from your video? Thanks.
"I think we can put our differences behind us... for science, you monster."
Experienced player (954)
arukAdo wrote:
Sunset Hill Zone Remix source
Wow... are you kidding me? "Sunset Hill Zone" is just Green Hill Zone but worse sounding. This mix is awesome, but I just listened to the original... not good. Thank you, btw. I appreciate it.
"I think we can put our differences behind us... for science, you monster."