This is NES "Low %" Metroid, which beats the game collecting only the morph ball. The submission improves the published run by 36.7s (2204 frames) using a new route and better optimized platforming, boss fighting and lag reduction.

Goals

• Collects only the morph ball
  • As fast as possible
  • Emulator: FCEUX 2.1.2, Old PPU

Intro

Well, I meant to do this run shortly after I finished the 100%, but got busy/lazy. Sgrunt's submission got me off my butt -- thanks. I knew it could be improved using a different route, though prior to starting I estimated the improvement at only 10-15s.

Details

Here's a summary of where time was saved compared to the published run. In summary, most time is saved by general optimizations. The new route loses 1 second getting to Kraid and 2 seconds fighting Kraid (no missiles), but saves many more seconds later due to the availability of missiles in Norfair and Ridley's areas.
Note that since different routes are used, I compare using the total time spent in each area, rather than in strict sequential fashion. The various areas are listed in the order they're first visited in my run. The times listed here are close, but not necessarily exact.
LocationPublishedSubmissionDifference (f)
Brinstar1572615288-438
Kraid's Lair41814242+61
Boss: Kraid452585+133
Norfair60725829-243
Ridley's Lair62705837-433
Boss: Ridley715371-344
Tourian51464653-493
Boss: Zebetites14101174-236
Boss: Mother Brain13001105-195
Escape11181095-23
Lag22281598-630
The key to the route is to sacrifice some time to kill Kraid first. This gets Samus a hefty stock of missiles, which makes the loooooong journey to Ridley, and the Ridley fight itself, much faster. The 2 main reasons are that missiles can kill at a distance, and can kill any non-boss/invincible creature in 1 hit. The former gives more options for refill collection and lag reduction. The latter lets Samus take shorter paths, with less lag because she can blast her way through just about anything. This is especially true in Ridley's lair, where in the 2 previous runs Samus is all but helpless -- unable to take damage, unable to kill anything -- and ends up losing a lot of time dodging enemies, not to mention lag.
The rest of the improvement was just optimization -- minimizing jumps and stops, maximizing damage boosts and luck manipulation. To avoid endless explanation, a lot of the tricks of the game are already described at the Metroid Tricks Page, the Metroid Any% run, and the Metroid 100% run.
One new discovery I found making this run was that vertical climbs are infinitely less tedious if you just focus on the small jumps where Samus must cross a significant horizontal span. The key is to hit the previous platform close enough to the edge (actually, off the edge) that the jump button can be held for 1 fewer frame. For all other jumps, apart from killing enemies and getting drops if they're needed, it doesn't really matter what Samus does.
Thanks to Sgrunt for describing a technique for manipulating monster appearance of which I wasn't aware -- having a dead monster leave an uncollected drop when the next screen is loaded is the same as having the monster still alive. This was very valuable to know in several rooms throughout the run.
I highlight many other interesting strategies in the subtitles, which is hopefully a more accessible way for people to understand what's going on than describing them at length here. I hope the encoders will include them if possible. If you find the subtitles distracting, you can always shut them off.

Nach: Accepting as excellent improvement to existing run. May I also say that this run is very nicely optimized, with high attention paid to every detail.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2547: Lord_Tom's NES Metroid "low%" in 11:08.78
Active player (276)
Subtitles was a great touch for explaining what was going on at each stage of the run. Its an improvement and looks great, a yes vote from me
You will always make it L.Tom :) Yes vote
"The life is like you create it"
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
I'll admit it - part of the reason the predecessor to this exists was in anticipation of seeing this run made. I'm glad it had the intended effect. I had wondered if this route might end up being faster overall, but ended up dismissing it on account of the larger distance involved; it never occurred to me (even after the post-Kraid sequence) that having missiles would save so much time. Seeing the Multiviola room trashed is definitely worth it. I'm glad there was an excuse to use the Kraid door glitches here; it deserves a place in another run. Also, I discovered a new luck manipulation technique? News to me. I guess I got lucky. :p In case it's not obvious by now, yes vote. Encodes in the pipes - there will be a version without the commentary and a version with the commentary. EDIT: Encode (with soft subtitles, as suggested on IRC): http://www.archive.org/download/NesMetroidByLordTomIn1108.78/metroid-tas-lowp-lordtom.mkv Here's a no-subtitle version on DM: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbw7g6_nes-metroid-low-in-110878-by-lord-t_videogames And with subtitles (as shown in FCEUX) on DM: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbw7v2_nes-metroid-low-in-110878-by-lord-t_videogames EDIT2: archive.org has updated the mkv now. EDIT3: fixed broken link.
Well, I enjoyed it. And it's an improvement on the last version. What's not to like? sgrunt, I'd thank you for the encode, but I didn't use it! Mind you, FCEUX on VirtualBox wasn't exactly a full-fidelity playback, but it got the job done. I tried making my own encode with the built-in AVI capture; VLC seems to think that its colors are off, though (red is blue and vice versa). I assume this is due to an endianness problem; anyone know how to fix it? iMovie works fine, though.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
thx for the encode will watch asap :)
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3274)
sgrunt wrote:
I'll admit it - part of the reason the predecessor to this exists was in anticipation of seeing this run made. I'm glad it had the intended effect.
I've been used!!! ;)
sgrunt wrote:
I had wondered if this route might end up being faster overall, but ended up dismissing it on account of the larger distance involved; it never occurred to me (even after the post-Kraid sequence) that having missiles would save so much time. Seeing the Multiviola room trashed is definitely worth it.
Actually, the Kraid-1st route is overall shorter in terms of distance traveled. If you ignore Kraid's area, they're identical. Both do exactly these steps in Brinstar: 1. Start --> Kraid's 2. Kraid's --> middle Brinstar (mine then goes to Norfair; sgrunt's to Tourian) 3. Start --> middle Brinstar (mine then goes to Tourian, sgrunt's to Norfair)
Publisher
Here is an encode with softsubs as the commentary: http://www.archive.org/download/LordTomsNesMetroidIn1108.78/metroid-tas-lowp-lordtom.mp4 http://www.archive.org/download/LordTomsNesMetroidIn1108.78/metroid-tas-lowp-lordtom.mkv HQ Stream with softsubs: http://aktan.site90.com/?vid=LordTomsNesMetroidIn1108.78/metroid-tas-lowp-lordtom_512kb&sub=LordTomsNesMetroidIn1108.78/metroid-tas-lowp-lordtom_512kb Edit: Added HQ Stream. Edit 2: Fixed HQ Stream link to have softsubs. Edit 3: Fixed all links to point to right URL, though some may take some time to go thur.
Experienced player (538)
I'm not big fan of the series but I found run this rather interesting to watch. Movements and other strategies went much more smoothier than I expected them to be.. poor metroids and yeah thanks for the subtitles :P
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Incredible! Yes vote.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Emulator Coder
I don't know enough about the game's mechanics to say for sure, but I think you've just concluded the Kraid vs Ridley route debate. Lag reduction and missile options beat path length reduction in this instance, and it wasn't by a narrow margin. Definitely entertaining. Yes vote, not that you could keep it out of the database without a conspiracy to do so.
Skilled player (1885)
You've heard all this before, but let me remind you that you are very awesome indeed, and that your runs are always a pleasure to watch. I'm looking forward to your next TAS. Here's a yes vote from me.
Skilled player (1307)
Yes, Yes, And Yes
Bp_
yes. nice run ! commentary are nice
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
"You only lose if you desynch!" Nice. Useful commentary overall. Anyway, this was incredible. It's cool to see changes in technique, such as the short hops involving a morph-unmorph upwards (I don't recall if any previous runs used that yet). The Metroids and multiviolas were my favorite parts. It's also really cool to see bouncing into the doors where you perform the glitch, because now there's finally interesting motion occupying the otherwise-dead time before the door has to shut.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Expert player (2453)
Wow, that's amazing! Thank you, Lord Tom.
Recent projects: SMB warpless TAS (2018), SMB warpless walkathon (2019), SMB something never done before (2019), Extra Mario Bros. (best ending) (2020).
Oh my.. I don't know this game much, but the comments were really useful (and the start was sure funny).
This woulda been a bit better with a few more subtitles explaining the little tricks as well as the large ones... but outside of that, this was brilliantly done! AND Enjoyable! Definite Yes vote. Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Techokami
He/Him
I really liked the addition of subtitled commentary to the run; it added a nice touch and made things a bit easier to follow than just straight-up text in the submission. Yes vote for a nice improvement to a previous submission.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
I laughed like a maniac at the fourth wall break in the subtitles. Beyond that, it looked very good. Yes vote.
Previous Name: boct1584
Skilled player (1404)
Lord Thomas continues to confound me. Good job!
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Amazing improvements. Love the commentary. Great job!
i see...
Experienced player (699)
I'm curious... can't 1 block gaps be walked over with samus and save time by not jumping? I thought I remembered this being the case.
Super Mario Bros. console speedrunner - Andrew Gardikis
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
andrewg wrote:
I'm curious... can't 1 block gaps be walked over with samus and save time by not jumping? I thought I remembered this being the case.
Nope. You'll hit the edge. Also, that's not jumping per se; it's using the morph ball and unmorphing quickly, which bumps Samus up a few pixels (this is the basis of the door glitch) and therefore minimises the amount of time spent in the air.
Expert player (2582)
Fast indeed, the run and the acceptance! Even if it don't make difference: Yes vote.
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.