Hello there! This is a TAS of the NES game, Vice: Project Doom! Enjoy!
  • Emulator used: FCEUX 2.1.2 (If this desynchs, let me know.)
RAM Addresses
0284Boss HP
1A85Boss HP
1A8ABoss HP
0360Grenades
135FBullets
Note: The last two have multiple addresses. There are just some that I picked.

About the Run

One day, I was looking at the movies from 2004. I then saw Vice on there. Then I looked at the top of the page and saw that these should be considered if you're "An experienced veteran at TASing". Since I have about 7 published runs now, I thought I was up for the job!
This TAS was the result of 3 weeks of hard effort. This was one of the hardest TASes to make. And the rerecoring count up there prooves it.
This is an improvement to FunkDOC's TAS by 1561 frames (26.02 seconds)

Thanks To:

Nach & mmbossman - For encouragement.
mklip2001 - For a lot of feedback. :D
hisatoki - For doing a faster run with more advanced techniques.
and finally....
FunkDOC himself! - For already doing a TAS of this game!
Please enjoy!

Nach: Great improvement to existing run. Accepting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2573: Sonikkustar's NES Vice: Project Doom in 12:35.61
Experienced player (822)
Excellent run! There were some parts that were very entertaining, and even though it's been a while since I've seen the previous run, there was a noticeable increase in swiftness throughout. Congrats on getting this project done, and a big yes vote! Now get to work on another 2004 movie! :)
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
Expert player (2582)
Excellent run indeed, and your comments added a nice touch to the movie. Yes vote for sure. /by the way, I want my props, I found all the crotch shots!
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
This run was amazing, it even exceeded my expectations. The way you tore up the road in the car chase levels was excellent, everything we aim for in TASing. The levels themselves were extremely entertaining. Most of the time you were fighting off 3-5 enemies at once coming from every direction, and you barely slowed down for anything. This must be one of the most fluid TASes of all time. Therefore I have no choice but to vote meh ... er I mean yes, an extremely strong yes. Now we just need to replace Mr Hart with a sprite of the guy from Shadow of the Ninja, replace the pipe with a sword, and replace the gun with ninja stars, because that's exactly what this run looked like, a ninja tearing up an entire army like a hot chainsaw through butter. Grunt: The name of the game is "Vice: Project Doom" not "Vice - Project Doom" as seen in your encode.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Skilled player (1090)
Voting yes. Congratulations on making this game more entertaining than I thought it could be. The varied use of all the weapons was a great choice as it meant that there was always a lot of action on screen. Part of me felt that perhaps the grenades could have been used to further mitigate lag. For example, in stage 11 could you have thrown grenades backwards to kill the guys dropping from the ceiling to stop the lag that their weapons caused? There were other similar situations throughout the run (I'm assuming that those blue fish can't be killed). This, however, is minor. Great work!
Skilled player (1885)
Really great run, I enjoyed every second of it. The technical quality looked very good too, so here's a strong yes vote from me. Great job!
Looked good to me! Nice work. Thanks for the encode, sgrunt!
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Skilled player (1307)
Mukki wrote:
Voting yes. Congratulations on making this game more entertaining than I thought it could be. The varied use of all the weapons was a great choice as it meant that there was always a lot of action on screen. Part of me felt that perhaps the grenades could have been used to further mitigate lag. For example, in stage 11 could you have thrown grenades backwards to kill the guys dropping from the ceiling to stop the lag that their weapons caused? There were other similar situations throughout the run (I'm assuming that those blue fish can't be killed). This, however, is minor. Great work!
When you do an attack, your motion is kept in that direction. And if I had killed that ninja, then another ninja would have just come up at the right. The blue fish can be killed. Its just faster to scroll them off screen. Its the same reason as in Stage 11. I do admit though. There were some tiny messups. But they only cause a few frames or so. Thanks for the feedback everybody! This really made my day. :) Dooty: You will get your props soon enough.
Experienced player (954)
I enjoyed watching this, good improvement, yes vote.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1466] NES Vice: Project Doom by Sonikkustar in 12:35.61
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Wow, insta-publish before I even get home to check out this run! No matter though. The game is a real treat for TASing, and Sonikkustar, you've done a great job at reducing lag. Thanks for mentioning me, though all my comments were just observation at full-speed (as opposed to observations by a trained TASer).
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Banned User, Former player
The subtitles are a bit hard to read by default, at least with mplayer. If you are using mplayer, try this:
mplayer vicedoom-tas-sonikkustar.mp4 -sid 0 -ass -ass-font-scale 1.5 -ass-bottom-margin 34 -ass-use-margins
It will scale the video a bit smaller, making room at the bottom for the subtitles so that they don't get mixed with the status bar in the game. (The subtitles are also scaled a bit larger than default). Works great on fullscreen.