(Note: this is a hack for Super Mario Bros. 3, the IPS patch can be found [here] [EDIT: dead link removed]
No-one has any idea what happened, but somehow, the koopa king has captured the princess yet again. Mario soon catches wind of the news and decides to save her (again) and by doing needs to collect 8 keys and defeat a whole bunch of bosses. The game has randomised weather. Mario also has a plethora of new items, most of which are never actually used during the run.
Adelikat; you owe me a dollar.
This is a 6 minute something improvement over the published run by kyrsimis.

General Comments

The basic strategy was to get the magic suit as fast as possible. At the end of a level, there is a Boom Boom instead of a card, and the magic suit disposes of these bosses extremely quickly. This also meant I could complete the run relatively quickly because there was no card manipulation, and very little hammer bros. manipulation.
I got to chose between world 4, world 5, and world 7 for my starting world. This was because these have short hammer bros. levels, which means that it is not worth buying a music box for. Also, music boxes cost 300 coins each, which can only be gained in the levels, so I needed sufficient money to buy them, which you don't have at the beginning of the run.
World 7 doesn't have any powerups in sight, and world 4 isn't particularly good for powerups either. Which leaves world 5, which has some good powerup opportunities.
Apart from that, it was reasonably transparent which worlds to go to, but I believe I took the fastest route through the worlds.

More Specific Comments

World 5

• First things first, enjoy the sight of little Mario while you can, you see him for a few seconds here, a few seconds midway through the run, and a few seconds at the end. That's it.
  • A shell kill is quite a bit faster than a fire kill, or a star kill.
  • I TAS the mini-game to get the magic suit quicker, and for a bargain price of 100 coins.
  • Some of the levels you have to collect all the coins to finish.
  • When I fly, I switch between the leaf and the other powerup. This means I lose minimal speed when flying.
  • I figured out a way to slide down slopes and still have P speed, this comes in handy a few times.
  • Switching between powerups on the frame you get hit means you don't lose your powerup.
  • The raccoon tail will allow you to keep P speed through walls.
  • The end of world bosses do not die from the magic suit, only the fire suit.

World 1 (Pass 1)

• Generally, various items can be used to kill the bosses in world 1, such as a shell in 1-1 and an ice cube in 1-2
  • for those who are familiar with the game, you may ask yourself why I take the top route in world 1, since the key is found along the bottom route. All will be revealed.
  • I was unlucky enough no to get any 50's in the autoscroller (instead of 1UP's, there are 50's in Mario Adventure)

World 7

• The biggest improvement here is the route. I played through all the levels and this is the route I came up with to be the fastest
  • I get the key straight up, before I do anything else
  • Some of the levels you just have to wait out. One of them I use to get a few 50's
  • I get all of the music boxes here in world 7. The reason for this is that there are no hammer bros., so they don't do any unnecessary movements.
  • I'm pretty sure the fortress strat is optimal.
  • A glitch occurs when your coin counter rolls over 1000 on a boss battle. This is why I didn't collect too many 50's on the one waiting level.

World 1 (Pass 2)

• This is just because I didn't get the key the first time around. Don't worry, it was planned. I reset after getting the key

World 3

• I do this world next because the music box is still active from world 1, so I can skip the first Hammer Bros.
  • The leap of faith in the first level is pretty neat.
  • 3-2 is the first time I do a shell jump. Neat huh?
  • I think almost all the levels in world 3 have a different, improved route.
  • One time it snowed on an already icy level. The visibility was so bad it made that level extremely hard to TAS.
  • For reasons I don't really want to go into depth, killing the boss in the fortress with the shell is not faster.
  • Swimming autoscrollers are by far the worst and most boring kind of autoscroller.

World 2

• I tried doing that pipe glitch like in the other run like in 2-3. It didn't work at all for some reason.
  • I use a new strat to get the key. For some reason, a lot of the levels in this game have no ceiling.
  • I do the 1000 coin glitch again in this world.

World 6

• Lots of gigantic stuff here, but the levels are relatively simplistic, so there isn't much to say about this world
  • 6-5 and 6-F are the only levels with new strats

World 4

• In the first level, it's faster to go up the waterfall than take the shortcut.
  • You cannot manipulate the cheep cheeps. I just got lucky.
  • Collect many coins eh? I complete the level with only 2 coins, and skip straight to the boss
  • An enjoyable autoscroller for once
  • For some reason the 1000 coin glitch didn't work here

World 8

• On the overworld, I select the keys in a specific order which saves a few frames
  • Each level in world 8 is the same theme as each of the seven worlds, plus the final castle.
  • At the end of each level there is a bowser. By the last level I hated bowsers so badly.
  • In world 8-7 I jump off an ice block that I threw. It is also possible to get hurt by your own block or shell.
  • In the last level, the boss fight lasts for freaking ages.

Other Stuff

Thanks to everyone at Tasvideos. Especially people like Kyrsimis, for without him, I wouldn't have even considered this run. Also anyone who ever said a kind word about my run, people like sonikkustar, Flygon, Dacius, it all helped. Thank you.

Baxter: Huge improvement over the published run. Accepting!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2595: andymac's NES Mario Adventure in 49:42.39
Yes voting, I enjoyed it. Currently encoding in both MP4 and MKV form; I would actually prefer the MKV got published, but... whatever. I'll encode this in High Definition also. I am not kidding you. It won't be that hard to make a 5 part encode. Also, in case you magically missed it in the submission text, you, adelikat, owe andymac one American dollar. This isn't tax deductible.
Skilled player (1885)
Small note: his name is spelled "Kyrsimys" and not "Kyrsimis". I'll watch this as soon as your encode is up, Flygon!
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Submission text wrote:
Adelikat; you owe me a dollar.
Dammit! *Disappears from the internetz
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Former player
It's been such a long time since I played this game I can't really comment on your strategic decisions but the run sure was awesome! I loved all your new routes and tricks. I'm so glad you made this run, Mario Adventure is such a great hack it deserves an up-to-date TAS.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
I liked it! Voting Yes! But there is a problem. The fm2 says the rom is "Mario adventure (PRG0)" but you say "Mario adventure" Has nothing to do with the quality of the run though. Good job.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
PCachu
He/Him
This hack is the Super Demo World of NES hacks. And, fittingly, this TAS is the Super Demo World TAS of NES hack TASes. However, you forgot to note that you had the Old PPU switch on. Using the New PPU desyncs in stage 2-1 -- which is kind of late in the run to suddenly discover you've got a bad setting for playback. Not that this lessens the amount of Yes the run gets. Just sayin'.
Randil wrote:
I'll watch this as soon as your encode is up, Flygon!
Not gonna happen, it turns out Aktan outawesomes me very soon... I take 48 hours, he takes just 10. So lets watch this in High Definition instead, the only possible way I can even hope to outawesome Aktan... bandwidth allowing. Playlist (Suggested) Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6
A very entertaining run. Voting yes!
Editor, Active player (466)
This hack seems really well-done, especially for being restricted to the NES. I love how the hack creator even put in custom text for the Kings at the end of each world if you finish as Magic Mario. "Hey there! Would you mind performing at my kid's birthday party?" Also, that's one creepy ghost at the end of world 4. The TAS was excellent, too, and I'm actually quite surprised that you saved that much time over the previous version since I remember it looking quite optimized when I first watched it. For some reason, I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing Mario rapidly jump to keep p-meter :) It was also funny seeing you rapidly shift between Magic Mario and Raccoon Mario or Fire Mario for various purposes. I really liked the dancing at the end of world 8-3, too. Yes vote, of course.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Chef Stef, if I'm not mistaken, the creepy ghost in World 4 is basically a different sprite for the Mario-eating fish Boss Bass. They just put Boss Bass in a castle stage with lava... it is pretty awesome though. As for this run, very nice job with p-meter maintenance! Also, you made a lot better use out of occasional flying; the switching back and forth between the powers made this pretty interesting. It was also cool to have more wall-passing. Just a few questions come to mind: how do you avoid triggering some of the hammer brothers when the map scrolls? Why is it that some stages let you leave early (such as, that one stage in World 3 when you're running on the ceiling a lot)? And lastly, are any of the tricks for this run new compared to the current SMB3 runs? Once again, great job!
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1484] NES Mario Adventure by andymac in 49:42.39
As an important note, the YouTube link is actually a playlist; because of this, you manually have to click the link to view the videos. This is also a shoutout to Nach to implement playlist support into the streaming media buttons.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
There seem to be at least a couple issues with the publication: 1. The attached movie file is named marioadventure-andymac. Usually, the player name is written first in the movie files. 2. The ROM version is listed as PRG0. Technically, shouldn't the ROM version be "Hack" because the game is a hack?
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
PCachu
He/Him
mklip: It's a hack derived from the PRG0 dump. There's also a version of the hack based on the PRG1 dump. If anything, the ROM name should say "PRG0 Hack". (Personally, I keep my TAS files named in game-first order, so I can find the runs for a specific game easily from Explorer. But, you know, my filesystem, my naming rules.)
Player (36)
Would it be possible to fall into the corner in the World 1 boss room and thereby grab the wand lower?
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
mklip2001 wrote:
There seem to be at least a couple issues with the publication: 1. The attached movie file is named marioadventure-andymac. Usually, the player name is written first in the movie files.
Aaack, I knew I stuffed something up. I'd fix this now but... I am incapable of replacing input files. I can't believe I made such a simple mistake.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Normally that would be a problem, but that naming convention is on its way out the door anyway.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
This video proves definitely the ability of Mario to cross walls. I love your play on kuribo's wood ship, amazing! and what to say: a great run!!!
Experienced player (617)
Just to answer a few questions: You can't go through the floor in world 1. You would need a horizontal speed of 48 which simply isn't achievable in that short space. I believe the PRG0 and PRG1 Patches, when applied to their respective ROMS generate the exact same output, so there might not be any difference. Using the old PPU was intentional. There are 2 stages where you can exit the level early. One in world 2 and one in world 3. I have absolutely no Idea why this is the case, but as soon as you pass a certain point, the level finishes, and in each case, I could not find another way to exit the level. I don't think there are any new tricks compared to the current SMB3 runs, but you can see, a lot of my inspiration came form genisto's glitch fest run. EDIT: Adelikat, don't worry about that dollar.
Measure once. Cut twice.
Honestly, I don't like long movies, but i try not to judge movies by length. For a long movie, this is pretty good. I had a feeling that the obsleted TAS could be improved! So I give it a <b>YES</b>