Submission Text Full Submission Page

Indroduction:

Rockman Megaworld is a remix of all 3 Rockman/Megaman games to NES, with improved graphics and sound. When you complete all 3games the 4th game Wily Towers will unlock with 3new bosses. This is why I used the "a1!" verion instead of the "!" version of the game. The "a1!" still has its save function working.
  • Emulator used: Gens 11a movie
  • Aims for fastest time.
  • Takes damage to save time.
  • Genre: Platform

Things to know.

• You can only hit a enemy every 8th frame. This will make everything alot harder then to NES, This is why "pause" through a enemy is faster then killing it.
  • You can reach a platform easier from the right then to the left.
  • Zipping is only avalible to the left and can only be made if using MagnetBeam to "jump" into the next screen at a ladder. Cutmans stage has some examples.
  • Ladder glitch is stilll in this game. When you are almost at the top of the ladder you can jump to get up faster
  • This game is VERY laggy sometimes and I try to avoid that as much as possible. Fireman is one of thoose stages. Icemans stage and the Devil fight has alot of them aswell. But I found a way to eliminate alot of them.

Route:

My route is Gutsman-Elecman-Cutman-Iceman-Fireman-Bombman I went with this route because I wanted Magnetbeam as soon as possible.

Gutsman:

Not much to add. Its really simple and short. I need Gutsman weapon to get Magnetbeam on Elecmans stage.

Elecman:

As I said above I choosed Elecman as my second stage just for the Magnetbeam. From now on, after this stage, stages will go faster. The boss in this stage is the longest fight in this run.

Cutman:

Started off by choosing Gutmans weapon to take the shortcut. Saved me some time. In this stage, zipping here and there will be avalible. I think you will notice where :) Cutman dies like a fly, smashed him with some rocks that stood just perfect for me ;)

Iceman:

This is one of thoose laggy stages. To prevent this I used the Magnetbeam to climb as high I could so I went out of the picture. By doing this, mostly of the lagg disappeared. Sadly I couldnt do anything about the fight with Iceman and his lag.

Fireman:

Starting off by killing the Screw bombers, these gernerates lag when they shot. So they had to die.This is also one of the laggy stages aswell. The Tackle Fires is really a pain and cannot be avoided. In the boss corridor I freeze all the Screw bombers. Just becuase they accually generate 1 frame of lag ;)

Bombman

Killing all the enemies in the beginning to eliminate all lag that they are geneerating if they are kept alive. Later on Im avoiding the bombs that as falling from the sky instead of pauseglitching though them.

Wily 1:

Not much to say about the stage. But there is something to say about the Wellow Devil in this stage. This boss has more lag then any boss/enemies that I have encounter. As soon you MOVE you will generate lag. So to do that I had to stand still as much as possible and found out that I could stand behind him when he morph the last time.

Wily 2:

In this stage you have to meet some of the bosses again. Unfortunally I had to pick up 2 bonus dots. Tried to avoid it, but without any success.

Wily 3:

This stage is so short so will nearly miss it if you blink and the boss dies within a few sec.

Wily 4:

The last stage. Here I will encounter the last bosses that I have left. I took a refill capsule for my Mangetbeam and took some damage from some of the Screw bombers.

Thoughts

TASing this game can sometimes be a pain in the ass. Its really laggy here and there, especially when it is alot of enemies in the screen or when using some of the weapons, like Elecmans. The whole game slows down for some seconds until the beam is out of the screen. Wonder why they didnt fix that from the beginning?

Truncated: I will reject this. The reason is not primarily that the movie is poorly done, although some people thought so too. The reason is (paraphrasing from the old submission of this game): that this is a slower and less spectacular version of the truly extraordinary run we have for NES. The controls are horrible, the music is mangled, there is more lag (however that is possible on a more powerful console). Over all I think this game is an abomination.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2631: Frenom's Genesis Rockman Megaworld "Rockman 1" in 20:11.30
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
There are several problems I can see with publishing this. Before I mention those, one thing I should mention which I don't think is a problem is the ROM image (a1 -> "alternate 1", which can still be considered a good dump). Problem #1 is that this shows gameplay of a remake of a game we already have a perfectly good run, not to mention the very large amount of other Rockman material on the site. In conjunction with that, problem #2 is the relative level of gameplay; on the face of it you can see that this is a significantly slower run than the alternative. This may just be me, but a lot of the fun I see in watching the Rockman runs is the myriad of ways in which the game can be broken. Either this port doesn't have those glitches available to it or they just aren't used, defeating what I view as one of the major highlights of the other published material and just leaving the same core boring gameplay over and over again. In light of that, and the occasional questionable gameplay decision (why fire at Yellow Devil from across the screen with a laggy weapon, causing needless delays?) I must vote no.
Skilled player (1306)
Basically what sgrunt just said plus the fact that there is a brand new mode in this game thats not yet TASed, and yet its still ignored. Sorry man, but I vote No.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
I did like it because it was essentially a "low glitch" version of the mega man TAS. I enjoyed this movie alot and I'll encode it.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
arflech
He/Him
I said "yes" for basically the same reason, although IMO it would be a good idea to TAS your way through all three sub-games and then go on through Wily Towers; you might be able to get it done in less than 90 minutes.
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
I somewhat liked this run. There are things that can be improved on. Is it possible to manipulate the robot master stage bonus points like on the NES version? The save data affects the bonus points in the first game, It IS necessary to clear SRAM data for beginning a MM1 TAS, it's NOT necessary to clear SRAM data for beginning a MM2 or MM3 TAS after a MM1 TAS. (for recording and playback) Meh, it would be great to have this improved on.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4137)
I agree with sgrunt. I'm sorry, but I vote no. Maybe a run that completes all three games plus the extra content could be publishable.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Experienced player (601)
Why didn't you use the North American version? Just curious (haven't voted)...
Current Project: - Mario Kart 64
Weatherton wrote:
It doesn't exist
sgrunt wrote:
There are several problems I can see with publishing this. Before I mention those, one thing I should mention which I don't think is a problem is the ROM image (a1 -> "alternate 1", which can still be considered a good dump).
The emulation of this game's battery doesn't work. That's why he uses the alternate version. I agree with NitroGenesis. This is a version of someone actually playing Mega Man/, but I'd prefer seeing the full game being played. Weak yes.
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
Former player
OmegaWatcher wrote:
Weatherton wrote:
It doesn't exist.
What's this then?
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
Brushy wrote:
OmegaWatcher wrote:
Weatherton wrote:
It doesn't exist.
What's this then?
Read carefully - it was never released in cartridge form in North America.
Experienced player (601)
I don't know how the Sega Channel worked, but it is surprising to me that this would not be something that could be ripped to a file. The wikipedia info seems to indicate that it was similar to the SNES satellite system (which we have most / all ROMs from): "the subscriber would get an adapter, which plugged into the Genesis cartridge slot, and was connected to their cable television connection... The games would be downloaded in about one minute and play just like the retail versions." Is there seriously no ROM of these Sega Channel games? Does anyone have the Goodroms list handy? *EDIT: I read farther and it stated that these games were loaded to volatile RAM... so it is possible that no one managed to rip the games. However, the service ended in 1998, so there may have been people trying to rip the games by then. Also, I would imagine that developer copies exist... It looks like a special edition of Earthworm Jim was available, as well as the U.S. version of Golden Axe III, color me interested... anyone know more?
Current Project: - Mario Kart 64
While there isn't a (U) ROM, there is an (E) ROM floating around. I don't care for this run very much. It does nothing to put itself above the original NES version in terms of enjoyment (or apparent playing skill), and the game itself is just a mediocre Mega Man port (awkward controls, timing, etc.). I think any run of this game needs to at least cover the new content to even consider voting yes for. Sorry, but this earns a no from me.
can anyone provide an encode? i wanna watch this, too to see if the comments are correct! thanks!
arflech
He/Him
PreddY wrote:
can anyone provide an encode? i wanna watch this, too to see if the comments are correct! thanks!
Wait for NitroGenesis to finish it.
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
Player (57)
Mega Man on the Genesis? That's just wrong. :P
NitroGenesis
He/Him
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Editor, Active player (296)
NitroGenesis wrote:
Here you go PreddY: http://www.archive.org/details/TasFrenomRockman
Windows Media? In MP4 container? With slight A/V desync and framedroppy appearance? You can tell who did not read encoder instructions... In any case, thanks, it's considerably better than nothing!
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Bisqwit wrote:
NitroGenesis wrote:
Here you go PreddY: http://www.archive.org/details/TasFrenomRockman
Windows Media? In MP4 container? With slight A/V desync and framedroppy appearance? You can tell who did not read encoder instructions... In any case, thanks, it's considerably better than nothing!
Silly bisqwit I only made it so people could watch the movie. When I have the time I will make a better encode.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Editor, Active player (296)
Frenom, why did you not ladder-zip to the left at 9:27 like you did in the Cutman stage? In Wily2, why did you take a small fire refill? You had exactly that amount in excess in the end. In Wily3 boss, why did not luck manipulate the first contraption to appear from the top exit? Bleh, this game does not have a clone Rock/Roll/Light flash in the mountains when the sun appears...
Banned User, Former player
I'd personally like to see this expanded into a full low-glitch TAS of the 4 games in this.
Perma-banned
Skilled player (1402)
The lack of even trying to do anything remotely interesting during this boss battle is almost enough reason for me to vote no. The next boss battle made up a little for it. Either way, there has been some discussion on doing a glitchless run for NES Mega Man 1. Rules for that would seem very arbitrary probably. I think I'd rather watch something like this. This however containing the first three games might be a missed opportunity to also show the upgraded graphics for Mega Man 2 and 3... I bet those runs would also be quite different from the NES ones too, that bonus game might also be interesting. Overall, it felt this run was a bit lacking (especially that boss battle I mentioned)... if polished, and with the other games added, I'd see me voting yes.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
I liked the graphics and music better in this TAS compared to the original NES TAS. However: 8400 re-records for a 20 minute movie ? This sounds rather low... Also the run gives the impression to be improvable quite a bit with luck manipulation. There where several bosses that had very high or even the highest possible clear points. Is there absolutely no way to manipulate this in the GEN version ? Also the robot masters seemed to have control of their own movement unlike the NES TAS where they are manipulated into moving a certain way. Also I doubt that the zip glitches where patched up this good in a "porting project". It feels like it should be tested in more detail. I also think that it would have been more interesting if you showed all 3 games in the TAS. I'm sorry but I'm going to have to say no.
this movie rocks, very entertaining and better sounds and graphic is always a good thing! plz dont get motivated from the other replies, I SO wanna see a megaman 2 in this! yes vote
Editor, Expert player (2312)
I liked watching this and I would be in favor of Megaman 2!