Submission Text Full Submission Page
fceu-rerecording-0.98.28
youtube :
heatman : Do not suspect, that is the quickest way
woodman : Use death abbreviation time
crashman : new glitch Again use
metalman : item3 new use way, The reduction crawls the ladder time

mmbossman: People don't seem to like this hack much. Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2634: woabclf's NES Rockman 2 Minimum in 28:03.57
Active player (276)
Ok I just finished watching, and I have to say this is quite different in a lot of places to Megaman/Rockman 2. The behaviour of Item-2 is the most notable change, but it appears weaknesses are different in certain places. As such, I'm going to need a lot more information about this hack before I can make an informed vote. First off, would a different order be better? Explain why you chose the order you did. Second, there are a couple of places where you stop, whether this was to perform a trick I'm not sure, and in one place you stop in order to kill a few enemies before continuing. Third, I notice you perform death abbreviation on only a few bosses. Why only those few, and why would it not be faster on all of them? Fourth, wall zipping. In Rockman 2 the wall zipping seems to be quite consistently performed in a straight line, but here it appears to force you downwards, forcing the pause abuse in at least one level. Any particular reason why it is so different here, and are there steps to improve this? Fifth, you mention a new glitch but do not explain what it is/how it affects the stage. There are a lot of glitches used already, so it is hard for a casual observer such as myself to identify. Sixth, can you only use one Item-3 at a time? If not, then you wasted time in Heatman stage waiting for the disappearing blocks. Seventh, are there any possible improvements that you may know about but were unable to perform?
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
I don't like the hack. It's another one of those "let's throw random things together in a dumb fashion" type of hacks. And why the color changes? No sense. The game play seems ok at best. Voting NO.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Editor
I am missing the ladder glitches. This game is supposed to have them, right? Also, the run uses the Japanese version where the original game has an English version. As for the hack, yeah, I don't see anything interesting here. And what's with the stars in the middle of the day and the level with ever changing palette?
Active player (295)
Toothache wrote:
can you only use one Item-3 at a time? If not, then you wasted time in Heatman stage waiting for the disappearing blocks.
English is very bad, watch well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fCge0JTEgQ "Really speed" Some questions not too understand.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
Voting no because this hack has nothing going for it that sets it aside from other RM2 hacks.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Post subject: suggestion
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Woabclf: why don’t you try to improve a published rockman movie? It’d give you an easy acceptance. Anyway, on the movie I vote no. I’m sorry, but the hack is way too random for my tastes.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Former player
Mothrayas wrote:
Voting no because this hack has nothing going for it that sets it aside from other RM2 hacks.
What he said. Also, I noticed a missed shot right at the beginning of this run and it made my blood boil. Overall, this run was meh, but I don't think it should be published. EDIT:
NitroGenesis wrote:
Woabclf: why don’t you try to improve a published rockman movie? It’d give you an easy acceptance.
The run would easily be accepted, yes. Improving the published run is far far away (like that famous galaxy) from easy.
The hack itself is much better than the Rockman L used for the other run, but it still feels more like a step in the right direction rather than a complete project. ROM high points: Changed weapon behaviors Changed boss patterns ROM low points: Bosses are only pallet swaps Level design, music, and bosses don't always mesh well Butchering SaGa 2 graphics/music (they looked/sounded better on the Gameboy) There's also the other requirement for ROM hack submissions: "It must [...] have an audience following." I'm not sure that this hack has a significant enough fan base to meet this criteria. Outside of a YouTube run or two, I'm having a hard time finding anything about this game. If this were an absolutely amazing run, I'd be tempted to vote yes. The actual run quality isn't very good, though, especially compared to published Megman runs. Missed shots and seemingly pointless damage plague this one. Finally, the submission text is nowhere near sufficient. While it is clear that the author doesn't speak English, it doesn't change the fact that there isn't nearly enough information about the game/run provided. This one gets a pretty solid "no" from me.
yet again, medium hack, awesome movie. yes vote. Hey woahclf, would you play another megaman games? I'd love to see Rockman 4MI, an awesome hack, being played. Ckeck it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5C97vvPRFo
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
Active player (295)
OmegaWatcher wrote:
yet again, medium hack, awesome movie. yes vote. Hey woahclf, would you play another megaman games? I'd love to see Rockman 4MI, an awesome hack, being played. Ckeck it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5C97vvPRFo
My MM4 skill is not good May introduce to GlitchMan & Angerfist & Shinryuu
Rockman 4 Minus Infinity is indeed a great hack so far. Unfortunately it is still not completely finished yet. Anyway, as for this run I am voting no. It looks pretty sloppy. Now maybe you should concider trying Rockman 2 - Gray Zone. That is a pretty good hack. Unfortunately as far as Rockman romhacks go, that's one of the better ones. Why do I say unfortunately? Because you'd think something as popular as Rockman would have hacks that don't suck most of the time.
I thought killing yourself against bosses was to shorten the distance from the top of the screen, speeding up the end of level teleport sequence. Why do it against the Wily1 boss, which has the death lower than the base platform?
I like my "thank you"s in monetary form.
I suggest you use Google Translate to help you explain your run. Some information is better than no information. People giving critiques: please use simple sentences to help woabclf understand you.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Encoding...
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
I will say this again: a good run of a good hack, for the purposes of this site, should showcase pushing the game's engine to its limits in ways that are not possible within the context of the original game. This hack does not appear to allow for that, and the playing isn't particularly optimal to boot (missed shots, pause abuse during zipping which may not be necessary, inconsistent use of techiques such as death abbreviation, etc.). This is not a hack worthy of publication, and I vote no.
Limne
Any
I'm not going to vote because I feel I surpassed my threshold for seriously playing and watching Megaman some time ago. Watching what of this I did though really got me to thinking that meshing together all kinds of pixel art and music that might be good on its own produces a very unsatisfactory result, even when it's all in 8-bit. I mean, a lot of the music was from gameboy games like Seiken Densetsu. A lot of the graphics from SNES games like Yoshi's island... It's really a shame that ROM hackers can't attract more competent artists to their causes.
I'll throw another No into the pile. The hack is better than the previous 2, but it still feels too much like MM2. And I did notice some spots that looked improvable or otherwise awkward. I've probably brought it up before, but I think a good hack to run would be Rockman no Constancy.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Derakon wrote:
I suggest you use Google Translate to help you explain your run. Some information is better than no information.
Google Translate cannot translate into Taiwanese yet. ============================= Voting no from bad hack choice. Everything has already been said. I did like some of the new enemy behavior though but it is not enough to make up for the flaws of this hack. Also all those missed shots make the run look poorly executed.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Brushy, I was thinking of MM4 not Rockman 2.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
This hack is terrible. Play isn't SO amazing that I think it should be published anyway No vote
Do not try to bend the spoon, that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth. What Truth? There is nospoon. Then you will see it is not the spoon that changes, it is only yourself
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
I'd say the hack is better than everyone makes it out to be. It certainly is better than the last two from woabclf. That being said, I need a little more research into where all the Mega Man hacks stand in terms of notability. The TAS quality is indefensible though; I would certainly agree on that. I'm afraid woabclf misunderstands the purpose of this site.
Warepire wrote:
Google Translate cannot translate into Taiwanese yet.
Taiwanese people can (in general) read and write in Chinese (Traditional).
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
FractalFusion wrote:
Warepire wrote:
Google Translate cannot translate into Taiwanese yet.
Taiwanese people can (in general) read and write in Chinese (Traditional).
You learn something new every day.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
FractalFusion wrote:
I'm afraid woabclf misunderstands the purpose of this site.
What does he misunderstand and how? I'm lost here ...
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
As usual, nice job woabclf. Don't worry about the bad comment, your gameplay look good. Some people are arguing about the hack quality, but keep in mind that there alway a place on this site for your hardwork... even if this means gruefood delight. I'm looking foward for your next TAS!