Takes damage to save time.
Gets 100% of items(does not collect Zero's parts).
It took awhile, but here is the final product. Of the X series games on the SNES, I think X2 is best for a time attack, as the weapons are all extremely unique from one another, and many actually manipulate the environment, from a grappling hook, to a weapon which can create platforms out of monsters to a weapon which gives you additional, and faster midair dashes. I make sure to use the optimum weapon in every single case. There is a massive amount of rerecords because upon landing from a dashing jump, a couple of frames can be saved by pushing dash at just the right frame. Additionally, many actions take place which must be done at the exact frame from the exact position to actually work. None of these will actually be apparent, but they are there. These two factors combined led to a large number of rerecords.
I am slightly upset that the latter 4/5 or so of the movie is of better quality than Wheel Gator's stage and boss fight, which I am slightly unsatisfied with, but it's something to be fixed in later versions(which may not come for a long time)- most of this movie is astounding, and it only gets better with time due to a greater selection of weapons to choose from. The Shoryuken makes boss fights less exciting, but as the other special moves in the X series after it is acquired the movie goes extremely quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if a 100% run actually took less time than a minimalist run because of it. A last note to be mentioned about it is that it actually takes a split second to activate, hence the short pause between dashing and using it.
An additional thing you might notice is that when jumping off walls I often do small double jumps. This is because even that tiny amount of space gained is necessary to get the jump I desire.
There are many things which might be misconstrued as mistakes, but are actually necessary for some reason or another. Please ask me before misjudging them.
Enjoy!
Please include the following:
Many thanks to Boco for early route planning and glitch information!

Bisqwit: Not bad. Publishing :)

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #270: Blechy's SNES Mega Man X2 in 34:16.97
Former player
That was FRIGGIN' AWESOME!
Yes. Yes it was.
Former player
Great job. =)
Indeed. :D
wow. i dont know what to say about this run. i'm only up to morph moth stage and already i love this run. every one of your rerecords are worth it. this movie is stunning so far. your climb of the lava raising floor in flame stag was amazing as was your item collection in wheel gator. if this run gets rejected for any reason other than a faster, more improved version has been submitted then there is some serious issues. damn fine work and keep it up ^^ hope to see more of your work blechy EDIT - just finished the movie and for once.... someone has done a 100% run that actualy IS 100% as you got the secret dragon punch capsule. i never knew it did that much damage! wow you totaly ripped through the last bosses. in fact you did it so fast i think a non 100% run would be very close to your time if not longer due to the fact that on the last boss run you spend on average 2 seconds fighitng them each. lol like to see what a non 100% run time would be
Former player
Thanks for the compliments everyone. My biggest interest in the minimalist run would be the very final battle. That battle is so unavoidably long and fast paced, it would just be awesome to watch. Kudos to anyone who makes a time attack of that battle alone, just for fun.
I've never played this game, so I'm wondering what those things were that he went out of his way to get. (The ones that weren't obvious upgrades) As far as I could tell, they did nothing except heal him, and if that was all, then what's the point of getting them?
Those purplish ones? Those are energy upgrades which increase the total capacity of Xes health meter. The silvery ones that seem to do noting are health refill container which can be used to refill Xes health. Blechy is aiming for 100% completition, so he must take them. Philip
Former player
?I? ?h?a?v?e?n??t? ?s?e?e?n? ?t?h?e? ?r?u?n? ?a?n?d? ?I? ?k?n?o?w? ?n?o?t?h?i?n?g? ?a?b?o?u?t? ?M?e?g?a? ?M?a?n? ?X?3?.? ?B?u?t?,? ?t?o? ?t?a?k?e? ?e?n?e?r?g?y? ?u?p?g?r?a?d?e?s? ?s?o?u?n?d?s? ?p?o?i?n?t?l?e?s?s?.? ?I?n? ?a? ?t?i?m?e? ?a?t?t?a?c?k? ?e?n?e?r?g?y? ?s?h?o?u?l?d?n??t? ?b?e? ?t?h?e? ?b?i?g?g?e?s?t? ?c?o?n?c?e?r?n?.? ?B?u?t? ?o?f? ?c?o?u?r?s?e?,? ?f?o?r? ?a? ?1?0?0?%? ?I? ?g?u?e?s?s? ?t?h?e?y? ?a?r?e? ?n?e?c?e?s?s?a?r?y? ?;?)?
/Walker Boh
So wouldn't minimalist and 100% completion runs BOTH be slower than just getting the major upgrades and skipping those purple/silver gems?
Former player
Well, you can't get the dragon punch unless you have all the other items.
i think that if you don't get all the heart container, all upgrade and sub-tank, you can't get the final upgrade. which will be used to increase the speed of the boss fight
for a 100% run, every item must be collected (when it comes to mega man games) including all upgrades, health containers and such, even secret capsules. besides, a non 100% run would'nt be that much faster if at all. defeating the final bosses without the dragon punch would add as much time as all the speaking and collection of items. so 100% run or not, this is without a doubt a good time to beat.
Former player
whether the dragon punch is in the game or not, the purpose of this run was to get 100% of item, which entails picking up all heart tanks(red powerups), all sub tanks(blue powerups), and reaching all capsules. The dragon punch is also necessary to get, even if it WERE to make the run slower. However, as dark mana has stated, because of the ease it lets me kill the boss in comparison to how easy it was to get all other items, I too think it is actually faster than a minimalist run. I guess this is the same as dark mana's post.
Editor, Active player (296)
I'm rather amazed how many votes this movie has got. Guess 17 users can't be wrong :) Well, encoding now.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [160] SNES Mega Man X2 by Blechy in 34:16.97
I'm getting a problem with this video on my comp. It desynchronizes in the middle of the Crystal Snail stage for some reason. If someone could help me, then that would be great. Other than that, this movie is excellent. Good job.
Editor, Active player (296)
Have you tried the resolutions at the http://tasvideos.org/DesyncHelp.html page? (You know, it's linked from our FAQ...)
Well, I had to do a lot of tweaking to figure it out, but I got it. I tried tweaking it earlier, but it didn't work. I figured I'd see if someone would give me their emulator settings, but it works a little better now.