Submission Text Full Submission Page
TAS - Tool Assisted Speedrun. This is my second time to TAS any MGS game. In this video i show how fast and how much the VR Training can be pushed. I did this run cause this is my new account and i want to have any TAS video here. I have done Sneaking mode, no weapon, practice run.
Emulator used: VBA Rerecording v. 21
Enjoy this run, please.
Zene

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2640: Zene01's GBC Metal Gear Solid "VR Training" in 05:15.70
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Hi Zene! I watched this and it looked OK, but I don't know much about the game, so I can't tell if the game mode is interesting enough to get published at TASVideos. Somehow the run felt incomplete and I was hoping to see more. I don't know what to vote. In any case, it is a solid first submission.
Active player (441)
First of all, I would like to officially welcome you to the TASvideos community and congratulate you on your first submission! I know the exhilarating thrill of finishing a submission, the joy of writing comments and the crushing disappointment of a first-time rejection all too well. About the run itself: I don't think Ghost Babel, even the VR mode, was a good game choice for TASing. Many of the VR Missions required you to wait in one spot for long periods of time, which really breaks the flow of the movie. If you have to do it, at least make it entertaining, like moving around as much as you can without getting caught, if you absolutely must wait. I'm voting meh. It was well played but, at times, tedious to watch (I would only vote no if it looked sloppy too, which admittedly it doesn't). Also, your input file ends early. In order for this to be accepted (as I recently learned with my Snood run), you will need to add a handful of frames to your run in order to press "try again", which takes you back to the VR menu. So those are my thoughts on this. And once again, welcome to the site.
My current project: Something mysterious (oooooh!) My username is all lower-case letters. Please get it right :(
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Voting No. It's a bad game, and hard to make entertaining. Also, slash_star_dash made a full run of this game a couple years ago. It got rejected for being boring. But anyway Zene01, your TASing skills look decent and you could get a movie published if you chose a better.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
What can i say, i'm sad cause of this run, but i will work hard on next run and i hope it will get's published.
Zene01 - Do you know, that fceux(the NES emulator) have new version? it is called 2.1.4 Kriole - i did not Zene01 - Then now you know Kriole - xD
Player (215)
When you start on another run, I strongly suggest posting your progress in the appropriate game thread and using microstorage for the actual WIP input file. That way, people can give you feedback on what you've done so far and it will be easier to go back and make changes if people find flaws. Also, people can tell you whether what you've done so far is entertaining enough that you should continue.
Active player (441)
Zene01 wrote:
What can i say, i'm sad cause of this run, but i will work hard on next run and i hope it will get's published.
That's the spirit. I look forward to seeing your next run, Zene!
My current project: Something mysterious (oooooh!) My username is all lower-case letters. Please get it right :(
NitroGenesis
He/Him
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Former player
I watched the Youtube version (thanks NitroGenesis for that. I have something to say about it though) and I'm sorry but I have to vote no due to a bad game choice. The gameplay seemed precise and optimal, but it was just boring to watch. Good luck on your future TASes though! You seem to have what it takes as a TASer. And welcome to TASVideos, hope you'll have fun here. To NitroGenesis: Thanks for the effort you put into encoding stuff here. Your encodes have notable flaws though, such as A/V desyncing and if I recall correctly, the quality/size ratio is not great. I encourage you to read encoding guidelines and contact encoders for feedback and tips. Good luck to you too on your future encodes!
doing just the vr isn't a good idea, voting no but if you want to do a VR,do the PSX VR mission, it could be a better idea or simply make a full run of ghost babel
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
I think a VR Training run should begin from a clear file, so you can do the alternate-goal missions for the game levels themselves. Not going to watch on account of only having computer access at the library.
Previous Name: boct1584
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I actually liked this. It's short enough to not be too repetitive. I gave this a Yes vote, although I do think there are better games to run. Zene01, there should be lists of games posted in the forums. This might provide some good suggestions of what to play! I also have a couple ideas, though I don't know how entertaining they would be.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Former player
How many of these levels are direct copies of the PSX versions? Well, either way, it wasn't all that entertaining, skill wise or manipulation wise. It's the fault of game choice, though. No vote.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Editor
I don't see how this shows any "superplay". It looks like I could do this with a little training. It is not that you have done bad, the gameplay is just too simple. The game is also slow. I want something that shocks me. No vote here.
nfq
Player (93)
NitroGenesis wrote:
It's a bad game,
it's 12th on the list of best games ever made: http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html i don't know how this game could be better than MGS for PSX though, but according to gamerankings, it is. it's also better than super mario 64.
Active player (441)
Zurreco wrote:
How many of these levels are direct copies of the PSX versions? Well, either way, it wasn't all that entertaining, skill wise or manipulation wise. It's the fault of game choice, though. No vote.
I only recognized two as direct copies: the first one, which was in MGS2 also, and the fourth or fifth one, I think, the one with the noisy floors and sleeping guards. Several of the levels in the GBC borrow gimmicks from the PS1 version (I specifically remember there being a box-on-conveyor-belt mission) but they're at least different level design.
NitroGenesis wrote:
It's a bad game,
this game is far better than it seems, the graphics are well made for the GBC and the game is long enough, the mgs mechanics are there and there are a lot of good ideas... there's even a donkey kong gimmick game as a special mission :)
NitroGenesis
He/Him
I meant it was a bad game for TASing. Sorry for the confusion.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... juicy!