I took a short break from my other runs and have here improved Aqfaq's previous run of this game by 65 frames. It's basically done by higher optimization level and a new trick which is hardly noticeable though.
  • 16 gained frames by making the blob eat the bean I throw later instead of the bean it actually eats, to get the rocket earlier.
  • 2-3 frames gained by being at a better spot and having higher speed when I throw the bean into the next screen to perform the "remove-enemies" glitch.
  • ~25 by handling the "walk-over-hole" trick better.
  • The rest gained from whistling earlier to make the "hole-blob" fall down the ground.
Thanks goes to Aqfaq for his run and support during the short process, and the earlier autors who've together fought down the time of this run to such a neat value.
Enjoy!

adelikat: Accepting for publication as an improvement to the published movie.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2650: Aglar's NES A Boy and His Blob in 01:56.67
Expert player (3566)
Oops, I seemly selected this as an FDS game. I don't know if this matter but it should be a NES game which would be nice if an editor could change it to:D
feos wrote:
Only Aglar can improve this now.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Voting yes. Also, looking forward to somebody doing a full run with all treasures collected. Unfortunately, neither me nor Aglar seem to be interested in doing the full run. The game would have some nice tricks to offer, especially with the ladder:
Yes vote, it is fun and improvement the previous movie. And encode: http://www.archive.org/download/aboyandhisblob-tas-aglar/aboyandhisblob-tas-aglar.mkv but it's not publishable so someone should make another one. Use this just for voting.
Skilled player (1885)
Nice and short! Here's another yes vote.
Former player
Den här TASen var jätte bra och det var en improvenmant på en pubblar TASen, så jag ska våta Ja. Fint jobba, Aglar!
Post subject: Publishable (?) encode(s)
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
First off, I vote yes because of the improvements made in this run. Second, I'm not sure if the following encode is publishable, but I'll give it a go: http://www.archive.org/download/ABoyAndHisBlobByAglarIn0156.67/aboyandhisblob-tas-aglar.mp4 EDIT: Added MKV because I had enough spare time: http://www.archive.org/download/ABoyAndHisBlobByAglarIn0156.67/aboyandhisblob-tas-aglar.mkv
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Experienced player (822)
Aglar wrote:
Oops, I seemly selected this as an FDS game. I don't know if this matter but it should be a NES game which would be nice if an editor could change it to:D
Fixed
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
I see nearly two minutes of walking followed by a game-ending glitch. Normally the former would be a barrier to entertainment, but seeing as this is still an exceedingly short run I can live with it. Yes vote.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Teh boy does not like teh blob, so he ditchez it by runnin thru a wall. Seriously, I think the boy musta lost like 60 pounds by walking that far (lol) Ill post some more screenshots later. EDIT: More screenies:
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Seemed pretty good, Yes voted and encoded. Archive.org collection Download The video is 100% lossless with a theoretically impossible to beat video stream (Unless you go lossy, which isn't really desirable), smaller than the other posted encodes and has far higher audio quality. You cannot make this smaller without reducing the quality somewhere. IMPORTANT EDIT If you have downloaded this encode earlier before this edit was made, redownload it, it turns out an error in encoding has absolutely buggered up a section of the encode.
Experienced player (699)
very nice. I considered TASing this game in the past, I had wondered if there was some improvement lurking. Also, considering the run is almost completely just straight running, it's surprising to see an improvement. congrats! :)
Super Mario Bros. console speedrunner - Andrew Gardikis
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
Awesome job, this has it all. I always thought the airwalking could be better.
caitsith2
He/Him
Player (46)
Yes vote. Gotta love the cartoon physics on that air-walking segment.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Brushy wrote:
Den här TASen var jätte bra och det var en improvenmant på en pubblar TASen, så jag ska våta Ja. Fint jobba, Aglar!
Din svenska behöver bättras på :P ================================ It's like they say "If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.", Nothing really happened, yet you defeated the evil king. Also it's an improvement. Yes vote.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Ah, the game where you can't tell if the thing on the boy's back is a backpack or a ponytail. Good job! Also, if you guys (Aqfaq, Aglar) would like to encourage others to make an all-treasures run (which I think should also not remove the enemies, to get some actual challenge into the game), do you think you could make a tricks page for this game?
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Editor, Player (67)
Nice work. I had trouble getting all of the treasures as a child, but I guess you don't need any at all. Yes vote. BTW, are the graphics supposed to glitch out after that walking through walls part?
mklip2001 wrote:
Ah, the game where you can't tell if the thing on the boy's back is a backpack or a ponytail.
Lol, I'd never thought about the ponytail possibility.
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
mklip2001 wrote:
...a backpack or a ponytail.
Hah, it could also be another blob!
mklip2001 wrote:
...do you think you could make a tricks page for this game?
Nice idea, but I'm quite lazy at writing stuff like that. :/ I might record a movie demonstrating all tricks I know, someday, but I would be glad to leave explaining them to somebody else.
Dacicus wrote:
BTW, are the graphics supposed to glitch out after that walking through walls part?
Yeah. The glitched screens have "no graphics", because they seem to store only functional or "hotspot" data of some rooms. If you keep walking out there, you can find the game title screen and the ending, which are no different from any other screens in the game. Everything runs on the same basic engine.
Publisher
Flygon wrote:
The video is 100% lossless with a theoretically impossible to beat video stream (Unless you go lossy, which isn't really desirable), smaller than the other posted encodes and has far higher audio quality. You cannot make this smaller without reducing the quality somewhere.
Sorry to bring encoder qualms into this thread but this again is wrong. While it is indeed lossless, the way you resample (assuming you used default mencoder resampler) to YV12 is worse off making it possible to still increase quality at the cost of file size. Take for example the lossless encode I tried with a merange of 1024. The video size is still bigger than yours at 2.29 MB. Being it is lossless, why would mine be bigger? This is because the way I resample the color retains more information than the way you did. My encode would look more colorful (subjective as usual). On the flip side, if I encode with the simplest resampler, I get a file size of 1.47 MB (still merange of 1024).
Wow! That was amazing! I, too, hoping that someone would make a full run with all treasures collected. Voting yes on this one!
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1514] NES A Boy and His Blob by Aglar in 01:56.67
Great run! although i didn't ever play this game and don't understand much what u are doing and why there are not enemies