Submission Text Full Submission Page
FractalFusion's Chessmaster in 0:07.12 (428 frames). This is my 8th version.
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Manipulates luck (not heavily)
  • Makes the AI look horrible
The key to the run was in the little-known address 0x623, also known as a timer. I had to carefully manipulate so that the delay between actions was as short as possible. Note that even after performing some action as fast as possible, I have to move the cursor to luck-manipulate.
For a while, I was stuck on a time of 489 frames. It was only after I reduced the delay to almost nothing that I managed to get the dumb AI to make its last move soon enough. One good second saved.

Nach: While this is quick, and this is possible, I don't see the interest of this extending beyond the actual move list. Publishing a key press file or an AVI of this is redundant.
The moves: e2-e4 e7-e5 d1-h5 e8-e7 h5xe5++

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2677: FractalFusion's NES The Chessmaster in 00:07.12
Editor, Active player (428)
Yes vote. It was kind of long, but it was a well done run.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Anybody who has played a computer chess game knows the CPU is horrible at low levels. It isn't very interesting to see that exploited for a quick checkmate. I don't doubt that there is an interesting way to do a chess TAS but I think fastest time based on poor CPU play isn't the way to go.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
adelikat wrote:
Anybody who has played a computer chess game knows the CPU is horrible at low levels. It isn't very interesting to see that exploited for a quick checkmate.
I agree with this. It would be more entertaining to play on expert, and try to get a Fool's Mate. I'll vote Meh on it. It's kinda funny, but it can be better.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Watched it about twelve (12) times. Didn't get bored at all (but I might be biased, because just when I started watching it the 8th time, a big insect invaded the house and I had to catch it and release it back outside, which might have nullified my entertainment gauge). Voting yes, anyway.
adelikat wrote:
Anybody who has played a computer chess game knows the CPU is horrible at low levels.
But anybody can't optimize it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKWh4TIjFco http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZWNKGzw65g
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Velitha wrote:
It would be more entertaining to play on expert, and try to get a Fool's Mate.
I seriously doubt that a CPUs opening book would ever allow that to happen.
Editor, Player (53)
I don't remember ever seeing that mate before, voting yes :)
I'm the best in the Universe! Remember that!
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
shortest game of chess vs CPU ever. yes vote.
Editor, Skilled player (1403)
Wait a minute, wouldn't this be the shortest TAS to be hosted on this site? Definitve yes vote.
As a semi-avid chess player, this strategy surprised and impressed me. Yes from me.
Wouldn't this one be faster? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fool's_mate
No.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Fool's mate can't be done. It takes too long to switch sides, and the computer's opening book does not allow an initial move of f3, f4, or g4. Even if the computer was taken out from its opening book, there are only a limited number of moves that it decides to make. I was initially surprised that it would choose the move it did here.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
The following statement is topsy turvy... This movie was excessively long and boring, No vote.
Active player (432)
Definitely voting yes. As some people have said, the checkmate was indeed nice and unexpected.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4136)
Loved it. Hummm..... -wait, wuh? Checkmate already?
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
I smiled, brilliant. Yes vote, I'm actually a rather decent chess player myself... and am considered one of the experts at the school I attend, but knowing how stupid half the people there are, I'm not bloody surprised. Encoded losslessly... and have probably made the smallest lossless encode in TASVideos history ever... the fact that 90% of the audio is dead silence really helps though, heh. Achieve collection Download Excuse the subtitle placement... it's just, well... chess is really not a good game to put subtitles on, so I just put it on white because it is the least obtrusive option, Aktan can probably work some AVISynth magic with the subtitles, honestly. Below is some High Definition uploads: YouTube Dailymotion
arflech
He/Him
I preferred the music and sound effects of the SNES version
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
remind me to never, ever, use this move. yes vote
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
FractalFusion wrote:
Fool's mate can't be done. It takes too long to switch sides, and the computer's opening book does not allow an initial move of f3, f4, or g4. Even if the computer was taken out from its opening book, there are only a limited number of moves that it decides to make. I was initially surprised that it would choose the move it did here.
I was not surprised, because I know that old chess games are programmed so that the first options they test are always moving the King piece. You stopped the decision tree so early, it hadn't got the time to consider any other move.
No.
I, chess player, vote yes for this. Because, I like chess, and I like luck manipulation.
Senior Moderator
A chess any% may feel like filling up the quota, but I think it's actually a solid run with a surprising solution.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Editor
I say yes. The AI is not smart enough to realize not to do this and is forced to do this.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
Editor, Player (67)
Very nice. Luck manipulation ftw. Yes vote.
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.
Yes vote for a quick, cpu-destroying run. Pretty amusing.