Submission Text Full Submission Page
Cancelling due to known improvements, see discussion thread. Sorry for the inconvenience!
As I said in this post, I have a habit of abandoning projects for quite some time, and then pick them up several weeks (or months) later and finish them. This is one of those cases. I submitted a run of this game about a year ago, here. This run is 799 frames (13.32) seconds faster than that run.
There are games that are fun to play but make for a boring TAS. Then there are games that are terrible to play, but make an entertaining TAS. In my opinion, this run is the latter. Kid Kool is a guy who can run very fast, and he has a furry ball named Wicky that he uses as a weapon. For some reason, enemies can't take getting hit by this soft buddy, so throwing him on enemies will kill them. This game is very similiar to the game Psycho Fox.
  • Emulator used: FCEU 0.98.28 (the submitted movie file is an .fm2 that synchs with FCEUX.) The original .fcm can be found here.
  • Genre: Platformer.

About the game

The story in the game is that you have to collect 7 herbs in order to save the king's life. He need them for a certain medicine or something, I guess.
Kid Kool is, as stated above, in many ways a rip-off of Psycho Fox. The goal on each stage is simply to get from start to finish. Every third level there is a boss, who you kill by jumping on a pump until it hits the bottom. Sometimes the boss' neck is the pump. Yes, really.
The first thing you'll notice is that it takes quite a while for Kid Kool to accelerate to top speed. But once he has, he runs pretty darn fast. Keeping top speed throughout the whole level isn't always possible, but overall, I keep top speed throughout most of the levels. The most common reason for slowing down is to avoid bumping in to a wall.
Kid Kool can't accelerate during a jump, he maintains the speed he had when the jump was made during the entire jump.
Kid Kool can also jump on water, as long his speed is high enough. He can't jump on water if he lands on it after a jump.
You can jump on enemies, just like in Super Mario, however, enemies usually take several jumps to kill - they usually get pushed down into the ground by the first jump.
After each stage, there is a wheel of fortune type game, where you have a chance to get extra lives. You need to have collected sacks of coins in order to play this game, but obviously this would only waste time in a TAS, therefor I avoid all sacks of coins. The sacks are found in hidden boxes throughout the level (kinda like those hidden boxes in SMB).
Everyone who has played this game will learn to hate the air cannons. These horrible, horrible, cannons are mounted to the wall, ground or roof, and will shoot air puffs. These air puffs will push you in the direction they're travelling. These are the source of several slowdows in this run.
The furry ball that I pick up on level 1-1 is Wicky, your only weapon in this game. You throw him at enemies to kill them, and after a while, he comes zooming back to you. You can not deal damage to bosses with him.

Some comments on this TAS

This run is 799 frames faster than my cancelled run. The improvements come from using the flag poles better on level 5-3, faster boss fights, fixing some other minor mistakes and optimizing movements.
Here I'll comment on things that might look odd or that I think need commenting:
  • The way the pump works on boss levels is quite complex. There is a timer that decides when you can jump on the pump again, and this timer will only increase when the pump is not moving. The pump moves whenever you touch it, so you don't want to stand on the pump more than necessary.
  • Wicky can be used to stop bosses from moving. In particular, by throwing him against the right wall while the boss is close enough, he will continuosly damage the boss, making him stand still while I can focus on jumping on the pump. Note that this does not actually damage the boss, the only way to deal damage to him is to use the pump.
  • I manipulate luck (kill the boss on a specific frame) to make the herb move to the right when it appears on screen. Where the herb appears depends on the boss' X position when he dies.
  • On level 3-3, the boss can't be held in the right corner because he would cover the pump.
  • The "running backwards" trick on 3-1 is only a visual trick, and neither saves nor wastes time.
  • Basically all weird slow downs, especially the long wait in level 3-2, is done in order to manipulate the air cannons. The only way I found to manipulate them is to wait, so at times there will be some ugly, but non-avoidable, maneuvers.
  • If I run back a bit at the start of a level, it is to gain a bit more speed before a jump.
  • Kid Kool can't run on sand without slowing down, so I avoid doing so where possible.
The rerecord count is a bit messed up due to a lot of editing. It should be fairly close to the real value, though.
I hope you enjoy watching this run!

Randil: Cancelling due to known improvements, see discussion thread. Sorry for the inconvenience!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
The bosses were funny, you just chucked Mr. Furball at them and they make constipated faces. The last boss was funny as well. The levels were kinda repetetive (except the final ones) but it shows off a good deal of optimization and was entertaining enough for a yes vote.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Nice, I was wondering what happened to this run! I can't watch this yet, but I look forward to this, and I'll edit my comments in when I've watched the run. By the way, you mention this game is a ripoff of Psycho Fox. Some research on Wikipedia says that this game, Decap Attack, and Psycho Fox are all made by the company Vic Tokai (and they all have similar styles of play). It seems that Vic Tokai was big on reskinning games for other countries... Decap Attack was a reskin of the Japanese "Magical Hat Flying Turbo Adventure", for instance. EDIT: Good work! I finally saw the run. I like the use of Wicky (the name of the red furball), especially with bosses. It feels like bosses should still be faster, but the game is weird like that. This is worth a Yes.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Pretty much what Nitro said. Yes vote from me. Random optimized pic: Archive.org Linky Direct Linky
Skilled player (1637)
You earned my yes vote.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
fruitbane
He/Him
The encode seems busted. Won't stream properly and won't play in VLC or mplayer.
fruitbane wrote:
The encode seems busted. Won't stream properly and won't play in VLC or mplayer.
I just tried the direct link and it plays fine in both my VLC and MPC-HC. Archive.org is having problems with their streams lately. So my advice is stick with the direct linkys, and try re-downloading the file.
fruitbane
He/Him
Indeed, the original direct link works. All of Archive's transcodes were bad, though.
Experienced player (868)
I'm not so familiar with this game, but today I found a person mentioning about a glitch to pass through ceilings in a Japanese BBS. http://schiphol.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/retro2/1175717336/192 (in Japanese) I tested the glitch and made a movie: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1083112279/KidKool-CeilingGlitch.fm2 Does this glitch help to improve your run?
Skilled player (1885)
TaoTao wrote:
I'm not so familiar with this game, but today I found a person mentioning about a glitch to pass through ceilings in a Japanese BBS. http://schiphol.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/retro2/1175717336/192 (in Japanese) I tested the glitch and made a movie: http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1083112279/KidKool-CeilingGlitch.fm2 Does this glitch help to improve your run?
Wow! That's crazy! Thanks for telling me. Hmm, I'm not certain it will save time anywhere, I'll have to take investigate this further. It would be awesome if it could be incorporated in the run. Any judge should probably wait with accepting this until I have found out more about this. EDIT: Ok, I think I know what is causing the zipping. It is the roof that is pushing me forward, and not the wall that's dragging me in. The trick is to movie inside the block above me for 3 frames. This is done by setting up your Y subpixel position in a certain way. As soon as you move inside the block, the game will try and push you out. If you've moved deep enough into the block, it will take 3 frames for it to push you out. If you change horizontal speed within this 3 frames span, the block will push you out horizontally the opposite direction you're moving in. And since you turned around inside the block, it will push you in the right direction. The game doesn't care about if it's a wall in the way, it will still push you out like this, and this is how you can move inside walls. I'll edit this post again once I've tried out if this saves time! EDIT2: Hmm, scratch that, it seems to be some more factors behind this...
arflech
He/Him
fruitbane wrote:
Indeed, the original direct link works. All of Archive's transcodes were bad, though.
it might be that newfangled crf targeting that archive.org's copy of adobe media encoder doesn't know what the fuck lol
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
Experienced player (868)
Randil wrote:
It would be awesome if it could be incorporated in the run.
I agree. I hope this glitch is useful :D And, I found narimasa had uploaded his improved run (J version). He says it is in 49474 frames: http://dic.nicovideo.jp/v/sm8222456 (apparently, fcm/fm2 is not available)
Skilled player (1885)
TaoTao wrote:
Randil wrote:
It would be awesome if it could be incorporated in the run.
I agree. I hope this glitch is useful :D And, I found narimasa had uploaded his improved run (J version). He says it is in 49474 frames: http://dic.nicovideo.jp/v/sm8222456 (apparently, fcm/fm2 is not available)
Interesting! It would have been a lot easier for me if there was a movie file available. Although my movie is generally faster, he pulls off a jump in level 2-1 that I think will save time, but I'm having problems pulling it off. Do you know this narimasa, TaoTao? Perhaps you can ask him to upload his movie file somewhere? I'm also wondering, is there an easy (and legal, of course) way to download videos from nicovideo? If the .fm2 or .fcm isn't available, it would be easier for me if I had the nicovideo movie on my hard drive. I have also managed to perform the wall zip in level 3-1! Here's the .fm2 of this submissions with this edited in. The zipping is optimized, I wrote a matlab program that optimized it for me. This movie is 264 frames faster than this submission so it saved quite a lot of time. In the light of both this new zip trick, and narimasas new movie, I will cancel this submission. I'm very sorry for the inconvience, in particular since the reason for cancelling this submission is very similiar to why I cancelled my old version. I will need some time to fully investigate this new wall zip trick, as well as analyze narimasas movie. This game is extremely edit friendly, so hopefully it won't be too long before I can submit the next version. And I'll make sure I don't abandon this project for a year again! At least we know for sure that the next submission will be at least 264 frames faster than this one! Any future discussion about this submission and Kid Kool in general should probably be carried out in the NES thread..
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... om, nom, nom... nom nom