This tool-assisted speedrun aims to complete Rocky to the Sega Master System in as little time as possible. It is my first submission. I have been TASing for a while, but never actually submitted anything. It was played on Dega 1.14, using Savestates/Loadstates, Frame By Frame, Turbo Buttons, and Fast Forward. It was kinda hard since I had to find out how the engine worked and all that by myself, there wasn't really much about it on the inter-webs. No one had done this game before, so I thought I might as well just TAS it.
2989 Re-records on the mmv file, though I actually had to start over more than once, bringing it up to about 7320. It took about 12 hours to do. It wasn't really that hard to do, the hardest part was the manipulation. Manipulating them so I could to get up close to Uppercut them.
The game is basically a Boxing game, based off the movie Rocky. It is extremely hard to do on a real console. You punch with the 2 button, and if you punch 3 times in a row, you can get a combo punch. If you are close enough to your opponent, you can preform an Uppercut, doing 2-3 times as much damage. Once you get to the Dargo fight, you only need to hit 2 times to get a combo hit.
The funnest part to TAS was probably the 3rd training round. I had to manipulate a lot there, as well throughout the whole game. Lots of manipulation.
Also, punching in the first training round for some reason creates loads of lagg (about 1000 frames). :S

FractalFusion: Replaced movie file so that it doesn't begin with savestate.
FractalFusion: You spent some effort on this. However, the fights didn't really show for it. They seemed too repetitive and unremarkable. The in-between training scenes didn't help either. Rejecting the run.

adelikat Unrejecting this submission for consideration into the Vault tier

adelikat: Accepting for publication to the Vault

Ilari: Processing

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2694: Olivebates's SMS Rocky in 05:19.43
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
The blindingly obvious problem here is that the movie begins from a save state. Fortunately, said save state is near enough reset that I've been able to repair the movie file to not use a save state; I also truncated a large number of blank frames from the end (there are still some actions taken after the final blow is delivered which are arguably unnecessary, but I've left those alone). Grab a copy of this from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5494313/submission2694-fixed.zip (be gentle, please). If the author agrees, I'd like to see this replace the present input file. I have two questions while we mull over replacing the submission file: 1) There are newer Dega versions available than 1.14 (in particular, 1.16). Why use an obsolete version? 2) Why don't you do anything during the first training segment? Just standing there looks horrible.
Former player
Mmh, well I don't really know how to start from reset with this emulator in particular. Also, will the frames of doing stuff at the end deduct from the final score? Well, 1) I just grabbed the one with a star next to it. and 2) Punching in the first training round for some reason creates loads of lagg (about 1000 frames). Should probably add that to the description :3. And Yes, you may replace it :). Thanks ^^.
Check my channel if you feel like it. http://www.youtube.com/user/olivebates?feature=mhw4
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Hi there Olivebates! I was able to successfully watch this run with Dega v1.15, so the choice of emulator is not a problem. However, I don't think this is a good choice of game. For instance, if you have to sit back and not do anything in the first training round, just to avoid making lag, that's not a good sign for entertainment. The third training round was sorta funny at first, but that was also really repetitive. It looks like you played well, but the game looks pretty bad, and the training periods between the fights make it less fun. As a result, I feel I have to vote No. However, I think that you could do well with TASing another game. Your SMW hack videos look pretty good; maybe you'd want to play around with the Super Demo World run we have? (I'm not sure if other SMW hacks would be well accepted by this community...)
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
It's recommended that you use the most recent version and be played from start/power on. Try to get in 99 punches in the first training stage, 60 punches per second in the second one, 99 in the last one.
Former player
Well PikachuMan, the max you can possibly get in the first round is 89, second is 7 hits per second, and 3rd... well, 99. And I accidentally got the emulator from the wrong site, it looked smilier to this one... I got confused :s mklip2001, well, I mean, its an official Nintendo game, so someone has to do it, right? Though yes, I wanna be doing more TASes of more interesting games in the future \(^o^)/ ... I feel kinda sad now :(
Check my channel if you feel like it. http://www.youtube.com/user/olivebates?feature=mhw4
i had to download again the old emulator, because it desync with the current version
Run..Run...Run.....
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2149] SMS Rocky by Olivebates in 05:19.43