I've submitted quite a few shorter runs recently so here is something a little different. It's a more substantial submission from me and a first SNES submission. Do Re Mi Fantasy is a fantastic game. It is probably one of the best, comparatively, sequels ever made if one considers just how bad its predecessor, Milon's Secret Castle, was. The sequel is completely different. Released only in Japan at the end of the SNES lifespan this is a huge platformer covering seven diverse worlds, a great soundtrack, and now famous (amongst SNES fanboys) graphics and style. This run aims to beat this game as fast as possible. The general premise (according to wikipedia) is that Milon, a young boy, heads on a mission to restore the music from the forest of his hometown and rescue his friend, the fairy Alis, from an evil wizard known as Amon, who is also responsible for the music's disappearance.
I'd highly recommend this game to anyone. It may seem sickeningly cute, but it can get quite devious.
The best thing about playing (watching) this game is the suspense about what cool, creative quirks are coming up next, so here are a few pointers on the run without spoiling anything.
  • Milon runs when you hold the Y button. His speed does not change in the air (it is 2 pixels per frame). Milon's speed increases to 3 pixels per frame when running down a slope or over fast flowing water.
  • Through the game you can pick up various power-ups. The best is the floating boots which gives you a longer jump. There are a few instances before I get it that it could save a couple of frames, but the boot itself is always too out of the way to be beneficial. I wait until it falls naturally into my path in world 3. Although it appears that I lose velocity while using the hover boots I actually don't. I try and minimise their use to avoid SMW 'fly over everything' syndrome.
  • You can also get power ups to allow you to have more bubbles on screen. This would allow me to break blocks a couple of frames faster, but they are also to far out of my way to be worthwhile. It is not until world 6 that it falls naturally into my path.
  • World 1 is something of a practice world. In all subsequent worlds I must collect a special star in each level in order to get into the end of world 'Ghost House'.
  • To kill enemies you can either trap them in a bubble or jump on them. If you jump on them in mid-air they turn into platforms for short periods of time allowing me to skip some sections of some levels.
  • This game has many levels. Unfortunately three of them are autoscrollers. The first one in World 2 I actually quite enjoy. However, there are two in world 6 (6-2 and 6-4) and both are incredibly boring and long. Feel free to fast forward them.
  • The movements against the last boss may seem somewhat erratic. This is luck manipulation in order to prevent him using his whirlwind attack. It makes him invincible for a considerable period of time.
I'm sure that there is a great deal that I have not explained well so feel free to ask questions.
Enjoy.
  • I recorded this using SNES9X 1.43 v17

FractalFusion: Well done. The use of items made it quite interesting. Accepting for publication.
The categories should be:
  • Takes damage to save time.
  • Genre: Action
  • Genre: Platform
sgrunt: I will be publishing caitsith2's encode as soon as I have a screenshot.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2705: Mukki's SNES DoReMi Fantasy in 1:01:20.50
Skilled player (1306)
Wow. This was a long one. Im not sure what to say actually. XD I never knew that a TAS of this would be this long. Never the less, I was entertained. Yes Vote.
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
For some reason, I get a desync before the world map is supposed to show up (around frame 700). I've tested on 1.43 v17 and 1.43 v16. I'll abstain from voting for now.
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
For the record, I needed to use v17 to get the run to sync (did not try v16, but v15.3 and earlier see similar problems to what fsvgm777 reported). Have not watched this all the way through as yet.
Emulator Coder
I was surprised by the length of the movie, but it looked refined the whole way through. I thought the choice to do the 'useless' star pickups was a good idea. Worthy of a yes vote on the whole.
Editor
So, an encode anyone?
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
Alright, I got the run to sync in v17. I had to edit the SMV at byte 0x016 to get it to sync in v17. Here's how I proceeded: I) Open the SMV with a hex editor. II) Change byte 0x016 from 0 to 1. Byte 0x016 is responsible for the "Clean FastROM setting" flag in the SMV, for your information. As for the run, it was fairly entertaining to watch, so this gets a Yes vote from me.
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
fsvgm777 wrote:
II) Change byte 0x016 from 0 to 1.
Just to note: this was apparently already set when I downloaded the input file. It also means that you will need to use v17 to view the run.
Twisted_Eye
He/Him
Active player (332)
Very good run of this cute game I've never heard of before. The graphics and animations reminded me a lot of Wonderboy in Monsterland 6, which really deserves a good TAS.
This is one of my favourite Super Famicom games! I downloaded this on a lark while setting up VC stuff for Twin Galaxies and I absolutely fell in love with it.. despite the language barrier. Brilliant sequel indeed.. and those words are rare as hell from my mouth. This run was absolutely rocking! Despite the length, the game was played with great flair and gusto and definitely deserves a Yes vote. If only I could manage to beat the game without continues. ^^; Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
caitsith2
He/Him
Player (46)
Encode here or a direct link if you dare.
Editor
Good run of a good game, yes vote.
Thanks for the encode, caitsith! This was enjoyable on the whole, though rather long. Very cute. Is it possible to hit the magician boss with Milon's "power-up" attack (the one you use to break blocks above you)? Ditto the sun boss (and is he puking lava at you?). What determines when Milon does his "holy crap that's a long way down" animation? Might it be possible to skip it by using the floaty shoes?
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Skilled player (1086)
Derakon wrote:
Is it possible to hit the magician boss with Milon's "power-up" attack (the one you use to break blocks above you)? Ditto the sun boss (and is he puking lava at you?).
Yes, but not to save time. Much of the time they are above me is taken up with invincibility time from the previous hit. I could use this time to charge the attack, but when it is used it causes the game to hang for a few seconds while the animation plays. In this time both bosses will have made their ways into positions in which I can hit them without this hang taking place.
Derakon wrote:
What determines when Milon does his "holy crap that's a long way down" animation? Might it be possible to skip it by using the floaty shoes?
It is determined by Milon's X position in relation to the ground below him. I tried a few things such as taking damage to avoid it (the damage animation is longer) and using floaty shoes (it still occurs when Milon reaches a certain point). As the floaty shoes drastically decrease his Y velocity, and the animation occurs anyway, it is far faster to just let the little dude drop.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1559] SNES DoReMi Fantasy: Milon no Dokidoki Daibouken by Mukki in 1:01:20.50
This game really plays more like Bubble Bobble than Milon's secret Castle. And I mean that in a good way. :3
Just wanted to say this looks like a real fun game. Great game choice mukki.
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.