Rygar 0%. I've done it before, now I'm doing it again. The difference is, this time it's fast.
This run lands in on 6:08.74, which is approximately 59 seconds faster than my last 0%, 45 seconds slower than Lord Tom's any%, and beats the old any% by almost 20 seconds. On a technical notice, I use the U-ROM because actual battles are faster in the american version of this game, since Rygar spends fewer seconds in air, and you have to jump to hit Ligar so yeah. I admit losing 10 seconds on the river crossing, but I regain that on Ligar. Also, in the U-ROM, jumping is faster than walking, while in the E-ROM, it isn't (bouncing on enemies is faster though).
So, the basic idea is that the boss rooms in Rygar seem to be linked together. 2 years back, I managed to reach 3 of the bosses from Eruga's Chamber, but I'm only interested in getting to Lapis to grind for TONE at the spawning rolling enemies. Just like Lord Tom, I'm fighting off 4 at a time, making for 28 in TONE per set of enemies. Each 8th TONE gives you plus one Damage. And Damage, you will need. Ligar, the motherfucker, has 4096 in HP. No kidding. So I set up this awesome Excel-sheet for seeing how long it was to my advantage to grind for TONE, so this is how it ended. I have to stop and pick up the items the enemies drop, or there won't be 4 enemies spawning the next time I grind. Also, I have to take damage from the rollers, or else the sun flower boss wouldn't have been able to kill me in one hit.
So the TAS is basically 1) Get to Lapis 2) Grind for TONE 3) Battle a boss.
I hope you can bear with me for these a-little-more-than-6-minutes of total brokeness, as it destroys the designer's ambition of the RPG-element in the game. However, I can see and understand if you think this is boring as hell. After all, it's just the same as Lord Tom's any%, except, slower.
I used FCEUX 2.15 for this. Yep.
For those interested in how long the battle against Ligar really takes, check out the addresses 05E2 and 1DD3. Cheerios!
Aims:
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses death
  • Uses warps
  • Heavy glitch abuse
  • Genre: Platform/RPG
Also, this run works on FCEUX v2.1.4a, and on (PRG0) as well.

FractalFusion: Judging, of course.
FractalFusion: Seeing that this is a good improvement over the previous submission, I'll accept this run for publication.
adelikat: Adding clarification that this is accepted to be published along side the 2 existing publications as a low% movie.
Aktan: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2743: Cardboard's NES Rygar (USA) "0%" in 06:08.74
Wow, and using a non-existent emulator to do it too! :) Kinda boring, but not enough to kill the entertainment of the glitchiness. Broken indeed. Yes vote. Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Editor
Yes vote since you broke boundaries and abused bugs to get it done fast.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
caitsith2
He/Him
Player (46)
Encoding, if nobody else has laid claim to that job. Yes vote.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I like the idea of this category of run. The main concern I had was whether this run looked sufficiently different from the others to warrant separate publication. Given that the main character can jump all the time like a loon in this version, that might be all the difference we need. The garbled screen from the boss death glitch is cool too. Couple questions though: 1) Why does the any% run use PAL, if the jumping height makes the (U) version better for 0%? I recall Lord Tom's submission comments said something about getting a bunch of lag with the ammolums, but I didn't really see any lag from them in this run. 2) Why do you jump away for a bit to respawn the ammolums? Does wiggling like in the any% not work? 3) The first enemy you kill is a dude who jumps off Gran Mountain. You seem to wait a while for him to jump. Couldn't you have just killed another flying creature on the way to Eruga with less delay? I like this run, but I'm not sure what to vote until these questions have some form of answer. Thanks!
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Jess
She/Her
Site Developer
Encoding
arflech
He/Him
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin wrote:
Wow, and using a non-existent emulator to do it too! :) Kinda boring, but not enough to kill the entertainment of the glitchiness. Broken indeed. Yes vote. Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Cardboard used an SVN build: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fceultra/develop
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
Skilled player (1670)
mklip2001 wrote:
Couple questions though: 1) Why does the any% run use PAL, if the jumping height makes the (U) version better for 0%? I recall Lord Tom's submission comments said something about getting a bunch of lag with the ammolums, but I didn't really see any lag from them in this run.
Hi! This is an interesting question. The rolling thingies do indeed cause lag, but not enough to make up for Ligar. In the current situation, I have to hit him 76 times, making for at least 38 jumps. In both Rygar PAL and NTSC, a jump is 60 Hz, but in PAL, that's more seconds than in NTSC. This makes up for the extra lag created by the rolling thingies. I am however interested in if the NTSC-version can be used to improve the any%, since Lord Tom removed the river crossing.
mklip2001 wrote:
2) Why do you jump away for a bit to respawn the ammolums? Does wiggling like in the any% not work?
This falls back on jumping being faster than walking :)
mklip2001 wrote:
3) The first enemy you kill is a dude who jumps off Gran Mountain. You seem to wait a while for him to jump. Couldn't you have just killed another flying creature on the way to Eruga with less delay?
This here game is quite a bit random. If I had skipped the rat man coming down the mountain, I probably would have missed something else between him and the forest. I really needed 32 TONE as fast as possible, as that increases the damage from 3 to 4, hence, I stopped to kill the rat man (Splinter?). That's that!
arflech wrote:
Cardboard used an SVN build:
He sure does :)
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
caitsith2
He/Him
Player (46)
Why does Rygar have the same sound effects as Clash at Demonhead? They were made by 2 different companies... Did someone plagiarize?
"I think we can put our differences behind us... for science, you monster."
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3273)
On screen 2, isn't it slower to drop straight down to the door, instead of dropping off the earlier ledge and pressing right while descending? Otherwise, looks pretty good. Nothing too exciting, but much faster than last time, I'm in strong-meh to weak-yes territory...yes it is.
Skilled player (1670)
Lord Tom wrote:
On screen 2, isn't it slower to drop straight down to the door, instead of dropping off the earlier ledge and pressing right while descending?
I tried it, but only got away slower than if I had done like you did in your TASes :( I am either doing something wrong, or just suck.
Warp wrote:
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3273)
If you watch closely in the any %, there's a point where the player drops vertically by several pixels for no apparent reason. I think it has something to do with the game trying to line the player up with the floor. No idea if it's doable on the U-rom, but it saved a fair chunk of frames (maybe 15 or so), so that might account for any difference you found.
I found it tiresome to see you jumping all the time. Couldn't you avoid it? Additionally, Rygar is the name of the final boss in the game (japanese Rigar = Ligar), not the name of the character, who is actually referred only as the Legendary Warrior. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rygar_(NES_game) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rygar_(arcade_game)
No.
Former player
DrJones wrote:
I found it tiresome to see you jumping all the time. Couldn't you avoid it?
Jumping seems to be the faster than walking. I don't know if this should be published, because I don't know about those movie categories for this game and I'm too tired to check now, so I'll vote tomorrow! I liked the run though, so I'm almost certain I'll vote yes. EDIT: I voted yes.
Skilled player (1670)
Lord Tom: Do you think there is any hope to be able to pull off the overworld glitching on the U-ROM? Since battling is faster, wouldn't that make the U-ROM faster for any%? DrJones: As stated in the submission text, jumping is faster than walking in the U-ROM, but not in the E-ROM
Warp wrote:
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3273)
I have tried the overworld glitching at multiple locations with the U-rom many times and never got it working. I'd be very surprised if it were possible.
Banned User, Former player
When killing the rolling monsters, why do you wait for the stars and bottles to appear to take them, before respawning a new rolling monster? Why not respawn the rolling monster first and then take the star/bottle?
Skilled player (1670)
Warp wrote:
When killing the rolling monsters, why do you wait for the stars and bottles to appear to take them, before respawning a new rolling monster? Why not respawn the rolling monster first and then take the star/bottle?
If I'd do that, one less enemy would spawn for me, making me lose time in the long run.
Warp wrote:
Cardboard wrote:
Warp wrote:
If I'd do that, one less enemy would spawn for me, making me lose time in the long run.
Could you explain in more detail how/why that happens? (I want to understand it fully before I vote.)
This was a dfficult for me..But it was faster then previous one..There was interesting glitches even though I usually dont like if there are too many glitches..But that just my opinion and this is TAS:ed so I put my opinions aside and watched..It was interesting and fast,and again I learned a couple of things..So I voted Yes!
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3273)
Warp: A max of 4 rollers can be onscreen at a time from that spawn location. But an item counts as a roller until it is collected, so a max of 3 rollers can be spawned while an item is onscreen. I think for the any % I found it was faster to just spawn 3, but I can't say I remember 100%, and it's a different rom...Cardboard?
Skilled player (1670)
Warp wrote:
Cardboard wrote:
Warp wrote:
Could you explain in more detail how/why that happens? (I want to understand it fully before I vote.)
Like Lord Tom said, the star which spawns from a dead enemy occupies that enemy's place in the memory, therefore making one less enemy spawn, and that would mean that I'd have to kill a full set of Rollers again to be able to kill Ligar with this TONE that I estimated to be the fastest. Lord Tom: It would not have been, I tried doing that and there was no luck. As long as the enemies are overlaping each other, lag is reduced enough to make it worthwhile. I dunno about the E-ROM though. I haven't made any comparasions.
Warp wrote:
Lord Tom wrote:
Warp: A max of 4 rollers can be onscreen at a time from that spawn location. But an item counts as a roller until it is collected, so a max of 3 rollers can be spawned while an item is onscreen.
I don't know if I'm just being obtuse, but I don't really get it. There is only one roller at a time on screen. Or do you mean that the run is actually spawning 4 rollers at the same time, all one on top the others, making it look like there is only one? (Which, in fact, would be rather cool...)
Skilled player (1670)
Warp wrote:
Lord Tom wrote:
Warp: A max of 4 rollers can be onscreen at a time from that spawn location. But an item counts as a roller until it is collected, so a max of 3 rollers can be spawned while an item is onscreen.
I don't know if I'm just being obtuse, but I don't really get it. There is only one roller at a time on screen. Or do you mean that the run is actually spawning 4 rollers at the same time, all one on top the others, making it look like there is only one? (Which, in fact, would be rather cool...)
That would be perfectly correct, sir. There are 4 Rollers overlapping each other when I'm killing them. 4 seem to be the maximum amount which can be spawned as well.
Warp wrote: