This is a vanilla speedrun of Quartet. It's my first TAS, and there's nothing super exciting going on, but no TAS of this game existed, and this gives you the viewer a quick 5 minute tour of the game.
Some notes:
  • In level 4, the weird mask enemies have to be killed in the order they are killed in. In fact there are two A/B world transitions that are strictly for killing them in the correct order.
  • The wall-blasting sections in levels 3 and 5 are probably the main part that a more experienced TASer might have been able to do better. But when I say better, I mean a handful of frames better, not drastically better. You can only have two bullets in the air at any given time, and there are some additional delays in when you can shoot. There is also some luck manipulation happening (mostly regarding what direction enemies move after spawning).
  • In level 6, luck manipulation was definitely in play to control the direction the heads move when they detach from the body.
  • Unfortunately, several secrets were not used as they slow the run down significantly.
Dega 1.16 Doze was used.

adelikat: Viewer response seemed ok, game seems ok, accepting for publication.
sgrunt: I'm on this one.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2757: vecna's SMS Quartet in 04:49.58
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
Oh yeah, Post Alex Kidd and a thousand people come, but Quartet? I don't see any reason to vote No, except it's doesn't run on the japanese version ... and I don't see a logic on that order you defeat the enemies in Round 4, ... otherwise, it's a great video! =P
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
fruitbane
He/Him
I'll await an encode. I'm familiar with the arcade Quartet but not the SMS version.
The thing didn't sync with me for v1.16, but v1.15 was fine. A couple questions: -What's the purpose of the stars? I noticed you went out of your way to collect 'em all. Is it possible to complete the game without them, or does it change the ending (besides getting Captain rank, presumably)? -I noticed for the first stage door-guard, you only began shooting when you were up in its face. Could you have started shooting from across the screen, or did it have a window of vulnerability that opened when you got there? Might be a way to save a bunch of frames. Apart from those, this looks pretty decent. I'm withholding voting until later so I can decide between Meh and Yes.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
Nothing spectacular, but not bad. I'll throw a weak yes on this one.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Not bad. The game is pretty trippy. It seemed like a fairly straightforward run, but there was enough stage variety to keep it interesting. I'm also curious to know the answer to Priam's questions.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
The game is a bit slow, but certainly trippy. The TAS is also pretty good. Yes voted, albeit, a bit weaker than usual. YouTube Dailymotion Archive collection Download
Short enough to be entertaining until the final blow. Yes for me.
Mary is a pretty bitchin' babe. Yes for me.
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
nice run girl with a big gun a yes for the run
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
I didn't like parts of Round 4, I thought they were suboptimal. I think my vote is no, I will rewatch in a sec.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Banned User, Former player
Short, simple, fun to watch. I liked that you went out of the way to get the stars. Voting yesssssss.
Perma-banned
Patashu
He/Him
For the bosses that move vertically faster than you can, could you get in shots a little earlier by backing away and firing a shot that they'll run into, and approaching as they get within vertical alignment? Maybe not, if you can only have two shots on screen at a time as you say.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
GabCM
He/Him
Ok so I'm going to encode Quartet and I'll send it to Archive.org first. Is there any objection?
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
Just get to work already. :p (For those wondering: Flygon's encode uses soft subtitles for movie information, which is unacceptable.)
GabCM
He/Him
Well sorry. I can't. I tried the kkcapture trick, but I can't load the rom after that. I also tried to use degavi, but the sound is out of sync. Unless there's a solution for my kkcapture problem, I think I'm gonna try another run.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1585] SMS Quartet "1 player" by vecna in 04:49.58