Submission Text Full Submission Page
This movie is a 5480 frames improvement to this movie. It uses a 6 move checkmate: 1 e4 e5 2 Qh5 Nc6 3 Bc4 Nh6 4 d4 exd4 5 Bxh6 gxh6 6 Qxf7#
It is also really boring, be warned :D

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2769: adelikat's NES Battle Chess "Fastest Mate" in 02:53.35
Player (215)
Yep, still boring :). I think the only way this game would really have a chance of being published is if the pieces were set to 2D in the options menu. That way you don't get really long animations.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
zidanax wrote:
Yep, still boring :). I think the only way this game would really have a chance of being published is if the pieces were set to 2D in the options menu. That way you don't get really long animations.
I agree, except then what's the point of doing battle chess? Might as well stick to chessmaster.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uTrNju260E Mandatory yes vote for improvement, adelikat once again proves his amazing TAS skills.
My suggestion to make a chess game entertaining (1 Select a game that moves the pieces as fast as possible (2 Move the pieces in a way to make an artictic design Example: Move the pieces to make a series of letters, such as T A S V I D E O S with the last S ending the game in Checkmate.
Sandbag wrote:
My suggestion to make a chess game entertaining (1 Select a game that moves the pieces as fast as possible (2 Move the pieces in a way to make an artictic design Example: Move the pieces to make a series of letters, such as T A S V I D E O S with the last S ending the game in Checkmate.
Dunno how this could be done, but that sure would be interesting to watch! ...Well, not on this particular game, though. :p As far as the run is concerned, I'll refrain from voting (unlike the other movie submission), because it is an improvement, and maybe that alone can make the difference... Maybe. Good luck. On a sidenote, I wonder. Is this the quickest improvement to a run in the site's history?
I lurk, okay?
No, for game choice. Again.
Personman
Other
I think this should be here, yes vote. Maybe we need a section for "Everyone thinks this is a boring run but it's the fastest anyone's beaten this game, so here it is" and we don't put things that get sent there prominently on the front page, and it's just a nice archive of games being beaten quickly in case anyone ever cares. I guess that's kinda what Gruefood is, but this way there would still be nice publication pages and obsoletion management and encodes you don't have to wade through forum posts for.
A warb degombs the brangy. Your gitch zanks and leils the warb.
Player (142)
Still boring I'm afraid. A lot less boring, but still enough to warrant a no vote.
adelikat wrote:
1 e4 e5 2 Qh5 Nc6 3 Bc4 Nh6 4 d4 exd4 5 Bxh6 gxh6 6 Qxf7# Half the moves of this TAS. However, I wouldn't be voting yes for a movie of that either. Like people have said, this is a snails pace. More boring than the usual chess TAS. Also this game can get pretty glitched out with the take back feature, that might be more useful for making an interesting TAS. The problem with these primitive AI's on easy difficulty is that they always fall for a quick kill like that; usually an aggressive queen opening.
No.
Thanks to adelikat for taking the time to do this; I'd assumed the previous submission was at least well-researched, but apparently it wasn't. So double no to that one and no to this as well.
I will not use self-reference in my signature.
Experienced player (954)
It took him 10 min to do the movie... Voting no again anyway
Banned User, Former player
Sandbag wrote:
My suggestion to make a chess game entertaining
I have already suggested things that could make a chess TAS more interesting. Twice. Got zero responses in total, for whatever reason. http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=236041#236041
Editor, Skilled player (1403)
I doubt any chess run is going to please everybody. The seven second movie of the Chessmaster was rejected despite very positive response, and opinions are also rather divided on this run. The problem lies in the game's nature, as you're essentially allowed to define your own goals, especially in games that let you select difficulty. Hardly any goal you can have with a chess run is universally accepted among runners, so it is difficult to define the standards of what a chess run usually should meet. In general, a TAS should have some entertainment behind it, and while the AI manipulation can make for a good source, the game itself doesn't work due to the painfully slow animations. Perhaps a faster paced game that shows some stupid AI moves or breaks the game might be a more interesting idea, but, as said before, that's never going to please everybody. I, myself, do not really care about chess runs, so if they accepted, it'll be fine with me, but I won't shed a tear if they're not, so, ultimately, I will not vote.
Dwedit
He/Him
After the queen came out, then the knight appeared, I expected the scholar's mate. I guess this one is kinda like that. Still needs 2D mode though.
I'm an expert chess player, so I can help make those artistic positions (but not in the fastest way possible, of course) http://chessbase.com/puzzle/puzzle11/puzz11-7a.htm at the bottom, Is an example on an artistic design It has "2002" on it, and is actually a set of problems, a skilled chessplayer needs to solve in a certain number of moves (we just need the design to end in checkmate OR stalemate if possible!)
Editor
I said that I would vote No again, and so I did.
Tub
It was OK when watching at 4x speed. (random trivia: mplayer doesn't do 8x) But I'll still vote No because Weirwindle did, and he's a chess expert.
m00
Banned User, Former player
scrimpeh wrote:
I doubt any chess run is going to please everybody.
If that was the criterion for accepting runs, then no runs would be published, ever.
I like the way the queen's ass shakes when she moves. Otherwise, fuck this game dude. Too slow and boring. If only there was a lab monkey in it :/
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Patashu
He/Him
Wow, I figured everyone complaining about it being slow was exaggerating, but it really is slooooooowwwww.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
so i saw 2 of 4 yes votes stating why it should be published. would the others like to comment? It would help an acceptance, I am sure. (I still vote no ;) )
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Skilled player (1636)
I'm surprised there aren't more yes votes... A surprisingly large number of users would vote yes on a TAS of 'Paint Drying NES (U)'
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Sticky, ur so mean :(
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Skilled player (1306)
This is suboptimal. You can save 1 frame on the title screen. Therefore I vote No.