Mega Man 2(J) Hack rom
IPS : https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/433/
fceu-rerecording-0.98.28
fcm Convert fm2 , fceux-2.1.4
Youtube : Rockman Deus Ex Machina TAS
nico : Rockman Deus Ex Machina TAS
This hack does not have item1 & 2 & 3 (rocket, etc.)
All change to
item1: temporary invincibility
item2: float
item3: jump higher
Using the delay scroll * 20 times
willy 6 stage boss changed to zero
HP very much
Action flexibility

FractalFusion: Yes, I'll judge this one.
FractalFusion: This hack hasn't received a good response so far. It is possible that doing the hard mode hack may change the response. Since Rockman no Constancy has been published on this site already, another hack, to be accepted, should stand out even more.
I'll reject this one.

Nach: Being that this is a hack, it doesn't qualify for the vault. The audience response wasn't good enough for it to be elsewhere.

Darkman425: It's been over a decade and the site is more open to hacks. I'll rejudge this for optimization this time as game choice is no longer a problem. I also replaced the dead patch link with an RHDN patch link.
Darkman425: First note is that I did get this synced on FCEUX 2.2.2.
As for optimization, for a submission that's over a decade old at this point the optimization looks solid. A good number of delay scroll glitches found and a lot of routing considerations done with weapon usage makes this pretty smooth. I do have some minor concerns with some of the movement, mainly the brief points where there was air time that could've been used for walking on floor and some iffy points where damage could've been outright avoided with minimal slowdown. Those would most likely be frames at best and there aren't any immediate places where another delay scroll could be easily set up to save even more time.
There was one bit of tech that I knew about years ago with the Zero fight at the end where it's possible to get a single cloud bomb shot to hit multiple times by having it explode where Zero lands from a jump but that ended up being slower due to it not hitting as rapidly as I remembered. That was the only boss I had immediate concerns about but if there's a better strategy I can't seem to figure it out.
After all these years, I'm accepting this to Standard. This is going under the "Normal" branch. The Hard mode patch adjusts some level geometry to be harder, removes Mega Man's i-frames, makes regular enemies and projectiles disappear on contact with Mega Man, and makes bosses practically instant death on contact since they don't disappear upon touching Mega Man. The Static patch is essentially Normal mode but with the vanilla Mega Man 2 weapons and the level design changed around that. These changes make the branch I added make some sense.

despoa: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2805: woabclf's NES Rockman: Deus Ex Machina "Normal" in 27:02.51
Rolanmen1
He/Him
Experienced player (751)
Voted NO. TRY TO TAS SOMETHING NOT RELATED TO MEGAMAN 2. FUCK
Skilled player (1306)
Sorry but I cant get into this one. I understand that you put effort into this TAS (Zipping, Route Planning, etc.) but this hack just isnt interesting enough to warrant publication. It also doesnt really offer any new content for it to replace the current hack. No Vote, Better luck next time my friend.
Skilled player (1705)
Rolanmen1 wrote:
Voted NO. TRY TO TAS SOMETHING NOT RELATED TO MEGAMAN 2. FUCK
That's encouraging >_> Anyway, I'm sure you can convince him to do that without being so rude.
Skilled player (1636)
To be honest, these Mega Man 2 hacks are almost a guilty pleasure. While I highly doubt that this will get published, I just wanted to say I enjoyed the run. Kefka's music in Wily 3 was a lil' funny too.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
A few things that may be worth noting about this hack, which I can think of right now. Synthesizer (Metal Man's weapon) fires at semi-random angles and speeds. Using it effectively for a TAS would requires some degree of manipulation, and is done quite well in the Quick Man battle. The final boss is changed completely. It's not just a graphics swap of Alien Wily with properties of its shots changes. It's an entirely new boss, and I believe this is the only MM2 hack to do this. I may be wrong, my memory of Grayzone is fuzzy. There is a hard mode, or "iron body" version, of DEM. Anything that touches Mega Man vanishes, and he never flinches, but he still takes full damage and can easily be killed by poor positioning, and the run would be much slower (and excessively boring) with it. For example, the Bubble Man fight alone would take forever. The only good, non-TAS playthrough I can find is qzecwx's. He plays it on hard mode, and it takes him barely under an hour to finish.
Editor
I am getting tired of megaman 2 hack runs. Run a megaman game that we doesn't have already, like those dos ones.
Patashu
He/Him
Tasvideos specifically allows hacks now, and the hack seems good, so unless you feel the run is suboptimal why reject it? Going through the youtube videos. I haven't played this hack so I'm just raising everything that looks like it's worth looking into. Video 1: bubble man: 0:29 - could you have jumped early to maximize falling speed or would that make the phasing fail to work? 0:42 - could you have jumped early here? It looks like you'd hit the mines but just making sure. 1:04 - jump earlier so you don't hit your head against the wall and stop moving forward? 1:05 - jump earlier to fall through the floor faster? unless, again, it makes the phasing fail. perhaps questions like these would be answered with an explanation of the conditions under which bottomless pits are 'phased through'. is it caused by sprite limitations? 1:08 - the wait is long enough to look deliberate, I'm just curious as to what it manipulates metal man: 2:32 - take a hit from the first spike crusher and phase through the second? 3:05 - I presume the enemy here can't be spammed to death faster than taking the hit? 3:35 - gut feeling says this boss fight could be improved, but if you've made sure all hits are as early as possible then okay quick man: 5:31 - jump a bit earlier? video 2: heat man: 0:20 - jump earlier? (bottomless pit again) wood man: I'm amused that his level is glitched up like in the MM2 wood man's TAS. coincidence? clash man: 4:24 - assuming you don't use up the rest of your jumping charges later, this would be a good place to grab the ladder at a higher altitude video 3: (btw you could have uploaded video 3 and 4 as one video, the limit on youtube is 15 minutes) wily 1: 1:49 - LOL, this is the best use of the 'phase through bottomless pits' glitch so far wily 2: 3:35 - not a speed issue but entertainment, you could consider messing around more during the parts where you're waiting for the next boss part to spawn video 4: wily 4: 0:57 - lmao you completely broke it, good job overall I was impressed with this, it had clever use of the jumping/invincibility powers and bottomless pit phasing and aside from a couple of areas I highlighted didn't seem obviously suboptimal.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I had some trouble downloading the IPS patch from the link provided. It seems that the zipped folder is password-protected? Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. When Rockman 2 hacks were being discussed in the last submission, people linked to cstrakm's run of Deus Ex Machina. Since the items powerups change so radically, this hack really does feel quite like a different game. Also, the quality of hack is quite good. Out of curiosity, woabclf, how does this TAS compare to cstrakm's run?
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
I didn't find very much of this hack impressive. Voting no on the hack. BTW, what is the music used for the WEAPON GET screens? It sounds so familiar yet I can't pin it down.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4136)
Voting no because there's already a Mega Man 2 hack TAS published. This hack is inferior to that one (Rockman no Constancy) I recommend you try a hack of another Mega Man game, like Rockman 5 Air Sliding.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Active player (295)
mklip2001 wrote:
I had some trouble downloading the IPS patch from the link provided. It seems that the zipped folder is password-protected?
This should be the "Japanese display problem" Change inside the file folder name Can extract If you still can not, I change to another link
The "weapon get" music is Robo's theme from Chrono Trigger. But mon dieu, whoever made this hack has no sense of proper color picking. Metal Man's stage and Quick Man's stage are eye-searing! And from what I've seen (watched the first video on YouTube), the level design isn't particularly inspired. It seems to be trying to achieve levels of I Wanna Be The Guy difficulty, but doesn't have IWBTG's creativity. For example, there are jumps in Air Man's stage where you cannot see when the jump begins and when it ends. This is good design? No thanks. The original game only pulled that in the Wily stages, where you could use Bubble Lead to discover when to jump. All told, I don't like this hack. The run itself seems fine, but the game being run is not up to snuff. Voting no. Also, Rolanmen, don't you TAS nothing but Megaman games yourself?
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I've watched the run now. There are a few ugly-looking missed shots sometimes, but overall the run is pretty impressive with item usage and delay scrolling. The music is fun too. I vote Yes, to be published alongside Rockman No Constancy. Sir VG: I think that music is from cutscenes in MMX2 or MMX3 (probably 3, in scenes with Dr. Cain). EDIT: Derakon got the music right. Though I do think the MMX3 cutscene tune is somewhere else...
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
i also liked the run, giving this a yes. its all about entertainment here.
Active player (295)
Patashu wrote:
bubble man: 0:29 - could you have jumped early to maximize falling speed or would that make the phasing fail to work?
The frog must be shot, or can not be successful Glitch
Patashu wrote:
1:04 - jump earlier so you don't hit your head against the wall and stop moving forward?
I tried not to touch the walls of the run but Glitch not succeed (nmi value problem)
Patashu wrote:
1:05 - jump earlier to fall through the floor faster? unless, again, it makes the phasing fail. perhaps questions like these would be answered with an explanation of the conditions under which bottomless pits are 'phased through'. is it caused by sprite limitations? 1:08 - the wait is long enough to look deliberate, I'm just curious as to what it manipulates ?
Faster Glitch problem, crabs have two
Patashu wrote:
metal man: 2:32 - take a hit from the first spike crusher and phase through the second?
I Do not know? My English is not good
Patashu wrote:
3:35 - gut feeling says this boss fight could be improved, but if you've made sure all hits are as early as possible then okay
metal man jump height is too high, Difference with metalman far away from Low jump
Patashu wrote:
video 2: heat man: 0:20 - jump earlier? (bottomless pit again)
With the use of Glitch Adjusted value (jump higher)
Patashu
He/Him
Thanks for responding. Sounds like all the 'delays' before phasing through pits were to get the glitch to work then.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Rolanmen1
He/Him
Experienced player (751)
Derakon wrote:
Also, Rolanmen, don't you TAS nothing but Megaman games yourself?
I also TAS Fire Emblem, but i guess that's not the point. I would realy like him using his TASing abilities in other games or megaman games aswell, i heard that there are good hacks of MM4 and 5. He should just leave MM2, for now, atleast.
Honestly, if no TAS of a Mega Man 2 hack is going to be approved, then there may as well be a rule written that no more Mega Man hacks will be accepted. The good MM2 hacks (RnC aside) have all been shot down for one reason or another. The two good non-MM2 hacks (Wily's Dream Space, Air Sliding) are both inferior to the apparent Holy Grail that is Rockman no Constancy. The others that seem to be pretty good -- MM Ultra 2, RM4 Minus Infinity, MM Forever, MM Odyssey -- are incomplete or have been canned.
The thing about hacks is that they need to do a good job of showing something new, whether that be in mechanics, aesthetics, level design, etc. This is true regardless of the game. It just happens that most hacks that are considered good by players are good because they do basically what the original game did, but in a different way -- which doesn't make for especially novel viewing TAS-wise.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Watched, and I was reasonably entertained, although I noticed some superfluous shots in a few areas. How hard would it be to hex-edit them out? They're not enough that I won't vote Yes, though; the changes to the weapons and the Items made for a very interesting run.
Previous Name: boct1584
Former player
Pretty well done run. Were some of those ammo pickups absolutely necessary? voted yes.
KennyMan666
He/Him
Finally, a Deus Ex Machina submission. Definitely one of the very best RM2 hacks, alongside No Constancy and Gray Zone. Looked very solid, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Clear yes vote. Now do Gray Zone! :P
Det man inte har i begåvning får man ta ut i energi. "I think I need to get to Snoop Dogg's level of high to be able to research this post." -Samsara Read my fanfic, One Piece: Pure Corruption
Active player (295)
KennyMan666 wrote:
Looked very solid, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Clear yes vote. Now do Gray Zone!
TAS Rockman Gray Zone 26:53.9 http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm11565736 http://dic.nicovideo.jp/v/sm11565736 Rerecord count: 46926 Player: cstrakm frames: 96834 Completed high Will not work Gray Zone IPS : http://rg20.web.fc2.com/grayarea.html
Editor, Player (68)
I'm not usually much for hacks, but I enjoyed it. Bubbleman got some attacks in which is a rare sight indeed. +1 for Robo music. Lots of others brought back memories. +1 for Music Man. (the stage music sounds familiar - is it from anything?)
true on twitch - lsnes windows builds 20230425 - the date this site is buried