Pizza pop! is a rather unknown japanese platformer about a pizza delivery boy who has to deliver pizza to different customers. The game is very simple, but it's short and has pretty nice music and graphics.
  • Emulator used: FCEU 0.98.28 (the submitted movie file is an .fm2 that synchs with FCEUX.) Use the old PPU. If you want to watch the original .fcm you can find it here.
  • Aims for highest score on bonus games.
  • Aims for fastest possible time.
  • Takes damage to save time.
  • Genre: Platform
The reason I aim for highest score on the bonus games is because if I were to aim for fastest time no matter what, I have to miss every pizza to avoid the score count down at the end of the bonus level. I think this would make the run look less entertaining, so I chose to play these bonus levels, and get the highest score possible.
The rerecord count is slightly wrong because I did some editing with TAS movie editor. It should be around 7000, I think. The game is easy to TAS, and lua scripting and memory watching made things even easier for me.

Comments on the run:

• When jumping, you stop for 1 frame before landing.
  • When landing on an enemy, you stop for 1 frame.
  • There is only one jump height in this game, which makes parts of this run look sloppy. On the other hand, it makes the game easier to TAS.
  • The reason why I deplete my health before the end of a level (except for level 1: it's slower to do that on this level) is because each heart gives you an additional 500 score at the end of the level, and 500 score takes 30 frames to count down at the end of the level. I deplete my health on bosses, because here it usually doesn't waste any time.
  • When I pick up the key in the ghost level, there is an invisible platform below it that I jump on. It doesn't save any time, but I think it looks nice.
  • Bumping into the wall, like I do on the last level, doesn't set your speed to 0 like in most games. So as as soon as you start moving again after having pushed against the wall, you will move at top speed.
  • There is no randomness or lag in this game as far as I know.
  • I can't reach the trampoline on level 2 on the first jump, so I have to land and jump on the enemy again.
  • I can't reach the moving hook on level 3 during its first cycle, that's why I have to wait for it to come around again.
  • Jumping on the last boss doesn't hurt him, and neither does hitting him with your shovel. I only did this because I thought it looked nice.
I won't feel sad if this doesn't get published, since I mostly did this for my own enjoyment. Hopefully at least one other person is entertained by this run. Either way, I think this game deserves its chance in the workbench.
Enjoy the run and the funny graphics of this game! (My personal favourite is the dog boss fight - that dog sure looks crazy)

mmbossman: Accepting this pizza-loving movie for publication.
Flygon: Processing, time to find out if this new RAM is worth it

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2484: Randil's NES Pizza Pop! in 09:34.29
Publisher
Here is an encode: http://www.archive.org/download/RandilsNesPizzaPopIn0934.29/pizzapop-tas-randil.mp4 http://www.archive.org/download/RandilsNesPizzaPopIn0934.29/pizzapop-tas-randil.mkv Daily Motion link: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbfb7l_nes-pizza-pop-in-093429-by-randil_videogames Edit: Removed link due to a problem. Re uploading shortly. Edit 2: Fixed Daily Motion link. Edit 3: Well Daily Motion is messing up again. Removed link. Uploading encode first. Edit 4: Added encode links. Daily Motion next, hopefully not messed up. Edit 5: Added Daily Motion link. It's still messed up, but I will talk to DM about it.
Experienced player (699)
Interestingly, I tried TASing this game before. I'll have to check this one out sometime later.
Super Mario Bros. console speedrunner - Andrew Gardikis
Skilled player (1402)
I wasn't really impressed by the game. Most of the horizontal stages looked like pressing jump at the right moment while holding right was enough, and the vertical stages weren't impressive either due to the standard jumping height the character has. Same for the bonus stages and bossfights. There isn't much wrong with the TASing as far as I see, but the game isn't suitable for making an entertaining TAS (in my opinion of course). Voting no. I wish you spend the time making this run on making a Rockin Kats TAS! ;)
Former player
Few questions: Why is a pizza delivery boy killing cats? And the Mafia? And a Zombie Dog? SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF IS IMPORTANT! Why is it that you can't reach the spring at the end of the second level? It looks like the bounce height is the same on both jumps. Are all of the conveyor belts you jump over in the third stage working against you, or can you ride more of them? Does jumping off of the key platform cost a frame? Everything else was really straightforward. Just waiting for a response, I suppose.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Skilled player (1885)
Zurreco wrote:
Why is it that you can't reach the spring at the end of the second level? It looks like the bounce height is the same on both jumps.
Even if it might not look like it, the first bounce height is slightly lower the first time around, that's why I have to land and make another jump, to get enough height to reach it.
Zurreco wrote:
Are all of the conveyor belts you jump over in the third stage working against you, or can you ride more of them?
I took careful consideration to ride the ones working with me as much as possible on this level. Sometimes riding one too far will result in screwing up a jump later on, so that's why I don't always ride the whole way.
Zurreco wrote:
Does jumping off of the key platform cost a frame?
That is does, I did not think of this. 1 frame lost here. Darn.
Baxter wrote:
I wish you spend the time making this run on making a Rockin Kats TAS! ;)
Rockin' Kats would be really great and fun to TAS if it wasn't for the fact that it lags like crazy, making it really counter-intuitive to plan a level, because stuff that should be faster might not turn out to be faster because they cause so much lag. Hmm, I guess this is a little off topic, but still. :)
Former player
Alright, cool. The pacing and inventiveness of the game totally make up for any other boredom, and there is a lot of variety otherwise. Giving this a solid Yes on my part.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
If this game teaches us all anything, it's that in the dangerous world of pizza delivery, rival pizza deliverymen will try to kill you, multiple times, to get rid of the competition. This game actually reminds me of the other pizza-eating game we have here, Yo Noid. The game's graphics and music are pretty cute, but the game seems really straightforward. The bonus game is just about as boring as most of the bonus games from Back To The Future. I couldn't really get into this as much, though it's not your fault. Meh vote. By the way, whatever happened to Kid Kool? I liked your submission for that game earlier, but I haven't seen anything further about the game.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
mklip2001 wrote:
If this game teaches us all anything, it's that in the dangerous world of pizza delivery, rival pizza deliverymen will try to kill you, multiple times, to get rid of the competition. This game actually reminds me of the other pizza-eating game we have here, Yo Noid.
Everything is trying to kill him. I was thinking, "minimum wage is worth all this?" and then it turns out he's only doing it to get head from "Betty" who you just know is screwing around with "Nick" behind his back. Poor bastard. Unintentional social satire notwithstanding, I enjoyed this for reasons mentioned above. Yes vote.
Skilled player (1885)
mklip2001 wrote:
By the way, whatever happened to Kid Kool? I liked your submission for that game earlier, but I haven't seen anything further about the game.
Slightly off topic again: I have very slowly been working on an improvement to my first submission, and I've been thinking about finishing it up, so it's not completely abandoned. Good thing you reminded me of that one, I'll see if I can finish it. As you might have noticed, it's a bit of a habit of mine to start a project, almost finish it, abandon it for a few months and then finish it. :) Thanks for all the feedback.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
What a weird game. The gameplay's nothing special, but it's just quirky enough to push this into weak yes territory.
Zurreco wrote:
Alright, cool. The pacing and inventiveness of the game totally make up for any other boredom, and there is a lot of variety otherwise. Giving this a solid Yes on my part.
I agree with this. Also the ending was hilarious to me for some reason.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Baxter wrote:
I wasn't really impressed by the game. Most of the horizontal stages looked like pressing jump at the right moment while holding right was enough, and the vertical stages weren't impressive either due to the standard jumping height the character has. Same for the bonus stages and bossfights. There isn't much wrong with the TASing as far as I see, but the game isn't suitable for making an entertaining TAS (in my opinion of course). Voting no.
I think these are very good points. However, I found it one of those borderline TASes. It wasn't under my threshold of tolerance so I gave it a weak meh.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Experienced player (822)
17 yes votes... quite a few votes for not much verbal input. In any case, this gets a solid meh from me.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
Skilled player (1885)
mmbossman wrote:
17 yes votes... quite a few votes for not much verbal input. In any case, this gets a solid meh from me.
Yeah, I have noticed this too - my Kid Icarus movie also got a high "yes votes" / "posts explaining the yes vote" ratio. (though that run was an improvement to a published run, so in that case I guess it wasn't as important). Not that I mind much, but I personally encourage all yes votes to follow along with an explanation of why you cast the vote you cast - for me, even a "this was entertaining and the technical quality looked good" often suffices. Not only does it help judges, it often helps the author - I think observant viewers such as Zurreco who asks good questions, give constructive criticism and explains their vote are great to get feedback from. So I guess the message of this post kind of is "yes votes are good but constructive posts are better" . :) EDIT: Oh, and thanks for accepting. :)
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1426] NES Pizza Pop! by Randil in 09:34.29