• Emulator used: Gens 11a
RAM Addresses
00FF11A5 - Enemy
00FF1235 - Enemy
00FF1205 - Enemy
00FF1D9A - Boss HP

About the Run

Picknica
This is it. The thrilling beggining. Actually this is probably the slowest stage in the entire run. Even Stage 2 majorly increased the pace of the movie. But anyway, Its pretty straight foward.
Kazarne
"Inserts the movie's speediness here"
Niagaro
Here I get 3 Shower Bombs Instead of 4 Backfires because the next 3 bosses are faster using the Shower Bombs including the boss in this level.
Risscave
You know about the super lights that let you see further in this dark cave? Well... I completely ignore them!
Grandiuss
Okay, first off, why are there floating blue washing machines? Second, the boss for this level doesnt share the same HP Address as the other bosses. Instead, its 00FF1DC1.
Le-Picker
The Hurricane made good use in this level. I saved 4 Hurricanes for the boss at the end. It was also around here that I found out something annoying about this game. All of the big floating things in each level share their own HP Address. It gets really annoying later on. :/
Aflorious
This is probably the most annoying level in the game to TAS. Not because of the crabs, but because of the god damn notalis at the end. I can manipulate it slightly, but the hitboxes are INSANE!
Menone
Ahh, the glorious boss rush. I use Backfires instead of Super Bombs since they are faster to use. It also lets me avoid a death in this level.

Thanks to:

paul_t - For finding the Addresses & doing TWO test runs.
Boco - For digging this game up.

Comments

yiff yiff yiff
'Flygon is going to be encoding this very soon, also, I like beans.'

mmbossman: Good viewer feedback, and I personally liked it too. Accepting for publication.
Aktan: Publishing

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #2541: Sonikkustar's Genesis Super Fantasy Zone in 05:57.93
Player (120)
Quote I really dont know what to say for submissions. Anybody have a suggestion on what I should actually SAY? <Describe the movie briefly here (3 to 8 lines) (it is what RSS viewers will see)> !! Game objectives * Emulator used <Put the emulator name and version here> * <List the objectives of your movie here> * <Another objective> * <And so on> !! Comments <Put here a longer explanation of your submission> !! Stage by stage comments ! <Put the name of the first stage here> <Explain the first stage here> ! <Put the name of the second stage here> <Explain the second stage here> <And so on> !! Other comments <Explain here things the audience would probably like to see> <Explain also things that could be improved in your movie> <You may also suggest screenshots.>
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
As said, I'm encoding this now, logocombining is being impossible so far however for some stupid reason. Yes voted anyway.
PCachu
He/Him
"Ooooo, here I cooooome, I am the big scary boooooss, tremble before OH GOD MY LIFE IS PAIN *dead*" That's the sound of Yes.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
As surreal as this game is, it strikes me as being just another shooter with no real redeeming features, and it didn't seem to me that much thought was given to entertainment under these constraints (in comparison to, say, adelikat's Gradius run). I do not believe that this game allows for that level of entertainment - or even a sufficient level of entertainment - and I must therefore vote no. I will also, however, give this an encode: http://www.archive.org/download/GenesisSuperFantasyZoneBySonikkustarIn0557.93/superfantasyzone-tas-sonikkustar.mkv ...and on DM: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbtuvj_genesis-super-fantasy-zone-by-sonik_videogames
Thanks for the encode, sgrunt! I have to say, this was pretty repetitive. Load level, visit shop, blow through the targets, wait for the boss to show up, kill the boss in under a second, repeat. And then do all the bosses all over again for the last level only marginally slower than you did them when you had the benefit of extra weaponry. Thus: did you test the gains from the extra weapons to make certain they're worth the time it costs to visit the shop? I don't think this makes a particularly great TAS to watch. Voting meh: well-executed but not entertaining.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Former player
PCachu wrote:
"Ooooo, here I cooooome, I am the big scary boooooss, tremble before <b>OH GOD MY LIFE IS PAIN</b> *dead*"
Basically this. The game is short enough that it's amusing to watch the carnage and the pauses in between aren't so bad as to drag the game out.
Post subject: Added the URLs
Grunt, I just made an encode that is 300kb smaller then yours, has better video quality (The bitrates are different, but mine used different encoding techniques as well) and has twice the audio bitrate (Yours was 45, mine is 80). I'll want to discuss with you tomorrow morning about tougher encoding scripts, it's slower to encode but trust me, it really crunches down the filesize. Thank Raiscan. Archive.org download DailyMotion Edit: The script if anyone else is interested
start /wait x264.exe "mixed.avi" --stats "./bothumh.stats" --deldup 20 --versioninfo --ssim --pass 1 --bitrate 300 --keyint 500 --ref 15 --mixed-refs --no-fast-pskip --bframes 16 --b-adapt 2 --slow-firstpass --mbtree --weightb --direct auto --subme 10 --trellis 2 --partitions all --me tesa --merange 64 --threads 2 --8x8dct --no-dct-decimate --output "encodedboth.mp4"
start /wait x264.exe "mixed.avi" --stats "./bothumh.stats" --deldup 20 --versioninfo --ssim --pass 3 --bitrate 300 --keyint 500 --ref 15 --mixed-refs --no-fast-pskip --bframes 16 --b-adapt 2 --mbtree --weightb --direct auto --subme 10 --trellis 2 --partitions all --me tesa --merange 64 --threads 2 --8x8dct --no-dct-decimate --output "encodedboth.mp4"
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I like this. The game is even more on crack than the original Fantasy Zone that Hisatoki ran. It helped as well that the music was actually good this time. After you kill all the main creatures in a stage, it seems like there's still a good delay until the boss shows up. Is that because of the little baddies that also fly around in most stages? I feel like in some stages, those baddies could've been killed much sooner, especially in the first stage. However, this is still worth a Yes vote from me. Also, Derakon, I'm guessing that the extra weapons pay off more with the regular stage enemies than with the bosses. The extra weapons let him wipe out multiple enemies in sequence without stopping.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Experienced player (954)
Theres one thing i wonder: does after you beat the game, when it loop, difficulty is increased ? If its harder after first loop, me think you should have start from savestate.
Skilled player (1306)
arukAdo wrote:
Theres one thing i wonder: does after you beat the game, when it loop, difficulty is increased ? If its harder after first loop, me think you should have start from savestate.
All bosses have 127 HP with the exeption of the Stage 7 Boss (97 HP) & The Final Boss (254 HP for both forms). When the game starts again, all bosses still have 127 HP. The normal shot also does 2 HP for both bullets still. The only thing changed is that you have your current engine & bombs from the last loop.
Experienced player (954)
Ill vote yes then, the game is cool, i believe you could have done a better job like sgrunt noted, say like for gradius playaround, but i enjoyed your movie (and i know the game a bit).
Why was this run boring? This run had no right to be boring. Meh vote. This run was good and well executed, but for some reason I feel like I want those minutes of my life back.
honorableJay
He/Him
The Atomic Shit he took on the second boss alone is worth a yes vote.
The run was great as far as timing and precision, but the game wasn't very interesting to watch to me. Voted meh.
Wow, that was a fun watch. I didn't understand the point of the game/how to win, but hey, this is a TAS. Really a great movie, cool game, awesome yes vote :)
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Former player
Very straightforward with a lot of fun action. The first boss was the best part. Yes vote.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Really fun, not too long, and the game has good music and cute graphics. Absolutely yes.
why (J) version?
Run..Run...Run.....
Skilled player (1306)
wicked wrote:
why (J) version?
Because the framerate is faster.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1448] Genesis Super Fantasy Zone by Sonikkustar in 05:57.93
Editor, Publisher, Player (46)