Emulator

• snes9x rerecording 1.43 v17
  • Use WIP1 Timming
  • Allow Left+Right / Up+Down

Uses death to save time

In King fortress 2, when you die after beating mid boss, you can quickly go to next room.

Takes damage to save time

Upgrade parts "Counter attacker" is available when Rockman's HP is lower 8, and it increase offensive power.

Abuses programming errors

TrickFirst used timeFrames
Going into upper right or left corner5:0318200
<new> Going into lower right or left corner9:5435650
<new> Going into moving block5:1719000
<new> Going into belt conveyor7:1426000
Passing through wall, ceiling and ground5:0318200
Floating in the air (can't move)5:2719600
Air dash (require T.Blade)17:0261350
<new> Air walk2:349250
Skipping mini boss5:1018600
<new> Instant kill the boss14:0750800
Shot from erroneous position15:0354200

Luck manipulation

• Getting weapon energy and bolts.
  • Enemy's action pattern.
In this game, RNG doesn't change depending on time. How to manipulate RNG that can be manipulated by Rockman's action without waste time is shown below. You can see its appearance at 0x7E00FB (2byte, hex).
  • Hit buster or a part of special weapons to enemy or object.
  • Beat the enemy which have possibility of dropping item.
  • Spread S.Drill one time or two times.
  • Use W.Burner in the water.

Thanks

I referred to parrot14green and FractalFusion's submission and forum to make this run. Especially, I got a lot of advices from parrot14green. Thank you very much!

sgrunt: Replaced the submission file with one that is three frames faster.

klmz: Claimed for judging.

sgrunt: Replaced the submission file again with a 30 frame improvement.

GabCM: Added Dailymotion module (encoded from that 30 frame improvement)

klmz: Good quality and positive audience feedback. I think we can have this submission under a traditional "character_choice" + "any%" category alongside the two currently published movies of the same game.

GabCM: Waiting for mmarks' HD encode, then I'll publish.

Skilled player (1565)
mmarks wrote:
has finished of uploading the first part of the Game Part 1 The second part will be uploaded to this day (but later)
How about your encoding? I have found my mistake at the fight with wily capsule... It can be improved 30 frames.
Banned User, Player (142)
sparky wrote:
mmarks wrote:
has finished of uploading the first part of the Game Part 1 The second part will be uploaded to this day (but later)
How about your encoding? I have found my mistake at the fight with wily capsule... It can be improved 30 frames.
Oh god is hard work
[18:51] <scrimpy> Oh, nothing [18:51] <mmarks> oh [18:51] <Nach> I think scrimpy is just jealous of you mmarks
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
sparky wrote:
I have found my mistake at the fight with wily capsule... It can be improved 30 frames.
Are you going to update the submission? If so post the new input file here, please.
Skilled player (1565)
I have finished just now. Here are new movie file. Changing point is only last fight with Wily. mmarks, I'm sorry for troubling you many times...
sparky wrote:
I have finished just now. Here are new movie file. Changing point is only last fight with Wily. mmarks, I'm sorry for troubling you many times...
No matter, give me more work, but I've never worked so hard
[18:51] <scrimpy> Oh, nothing [18:51] <mmarks> oh [18:51] <Nach> I think scrimpy is just jealous of you mmarks
GabCM
He/Him
mmarks wrote:
sparky wrote:
If you want, I can do the encode. But you can do it yourself, it's your choice.
Mister Epic wrote:
mmarks wrote:
sparky wrote:
Mister Epic, I suggest you do the SD encoding, because am preparing the HD encoding Or else, you do the two encodings, if you want
GabCM
He/Him
mmarks wrote:
Mister Epic wrote:
mmarks wrote:
sparky wrote:
Mister Epic, I suggest you do the SD encoding, because am preparing the HD encoding Or else, you do the two encodings, if you want
Go ahead with HD encoding. I'll do the SD. --- EDIT --- Archive collection's page Download from Archive (MP4, 256x224, 75.5 MB) Stream from Archive (MP4, 304x228, 93.4 MB) Stream from Dailymotion And also, new animated logo + fading subtitles ftw.
Mister Epic wrote:
mmarks wrote:
Mister Epic wrote:
mmarks wrote:
sparky wrote:
Go ahead with HD encoding. I'll do the SD. --- EDIT --- Archive collection's page Download from Archive (MP4, 256x224, 75.5 MB) Stream from Archive (MP4, 304x228, 93.4 MB) Stream from Dailymotion And also, new animated logo + fading subtitles ftw.
Mister Epic, your SD encodings is fast. The mine is slower. What are your scripts for this?
I hated Tengu Man on the old run because of the boring auto-scroll. You made it easily my fav level in the whole run!
Wow! Very impressive run! It's fun to watch megaman zap thru walls/ceilings/floors. Yes vote!
GabCM
He/Him
I vote Yes, just for how you defeated Tengu Man. Just kidding, I also loved the fact that a SNES game made in 1998 (?!) can be glitchy as hell, and that you found them!
Yes vote, you finally made this game fun to watch.
No.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Expert player (2104)
This submission makes wonder, which of the two playable character in this game is optimal to use for speedrunning, Rockman or Forte? The answer affects all publicated movies of this game.
<klmz> it reminds me of that people used to keep quoting adelikat's IRC statements in the old good days <adelikat> no doubt <adelikat> klmz, they still do
Rockman is the only one that can get all CDs, since some of them require Rush Dig to pick up. So at least for the 100% run, Forte is out of the running. Generally, Forte can navigate levels faster thanks to dash-jumps and double-jumps, but Rockman can take down bosses faster thanks to charged shots. As zips get more prevalent in the levels, Forte's advantage there becomes marginalized, but I don't know if it's entirely out of the picture yet.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Skilled player (1565)
klmz wrote:
This submission makes wonder, which of the two playable character in this game is optimal to use for speedrunning, Rockman or Forte? The answer affects all publicated movies of this game.
Rockman's TAS has existed only 100% up to now, so I have made this. Actually, I don't know which is faster. Because, published Forte's run may be able to still be improved.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
The run was very exciting, much more than I expected! While this game was made as late as 1998, it is still a SNES game, and we know how glitchy NES and SNES games are. Compare to Mega Man 8, which is on the PSX, made before this game, has almost the same type of graphics, and yet has very few glitches that I was able to exploit. The only thing in this run that made me wonder was ending the input early. The game could have ended earlier by using a charged buster shot, rather than using Copy Vision to end input early but delay the game end by a few seconds. Still, doing that does not take away my appreciation from this run. I vote . As for whether Rockman or Forte is faster, my experience with Forte tells me that it will be much harder, if possible, to do the zips that Rockman does. I suspect, but I am not sure, that Forte's hitbox when dashing, which is higher than Rockman's hitbox when sliding, makes it harder to be forced inside a wall. Forte is also disadvantaged by things like: - Longer scenes after beating a boss, and warping in. - No charged buster. As a result, Slime devil takes longer, and the first boss takes much longer. And boss order is forced until you get Counter Attacker after the third boss.
klmz wrote:
I don't think it should affect publications of this game, apart from one category labelled "Uses a suboptimal character". That label should be on the current slower one, no matter what.
Glitcher
He/Him
MY EYES!! THEY ARE RAPED!!! Does this mean that the 100 CD run will be redone with these new tricks?
For people and publishers, I have the encoding already for the next 1 or 2 days, by problems of subtitle
Skilled player (1306)
Glitcher wrote:
MY EYES!! THEY ARE RAPED!!! Does this mean that the 100 CD run will be redone with these new tricks?
AFAIK, The 100 CD run is improvable by at least 3 minutes. parrot14green had a discontinued WIP that ended at the star of the Ground Man battle which was 1 minute ahead not counting the intro stage redone earlier.
Just to show you, Here I have the previous version of the film (ie before replacing it). Had finished the encoding HD (I doubt in the resolution, because not is if this good or bad) Here is: Part 1 Part 2 Make no mistake is the version of the movie in 28:03.62
HD encode PlayList Part 1 Part 2 (In Process) Now you can publish
This was... unexpected. Poor Rockman games gettin' raped like this all the time. Anyway, this was highly enjoyable. I did wonder a bit about two points. The fight against the snowman, you seemed to just do nothing for a short while, as well as when fighting the sandworm. I'm guessing I'm just not informed about these parts, but I'd like for them to be explained in your comments. Great work! Definetly publish-material.
Bein' away for like five years, and not a single new post in the ZSNES forum... :'-(
Skilled player (1565)
Mazzic wrote:
I did wonder a bit about two points. The fight against the snowman, you seemed to just do nothing for a short while, as well as when fighting the sandworm.
The answer is simple. Rockman can't move during its time like bosses' appearance sequence.
Far too obvious I guess :-P Thanks for clearing my mind.
Bein' away for like five years, and not a single new post in the ZSNES forum... :'-(