(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
Code Name: Viper in 11:04
Emulator: FCEUX 2.1.5,
No warps/passwords/programming errors
Takes damage to save time
Play at hardest level

sgrunt: Replaced the submission file with one that does not have excess blank frames at the end as detailed here.
Mukki: Judging...
Mukki: It was stated in the thread that this run defeats the final boss 627 frames slower than the previous, rejected, run by ECCO. After investigating this myself I can confirm this to be true. As a slower run of a game that was previously rejected for poor game choice this is a clear candidate for rejection. The audience seems to agree. Rejecting...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3422: XTREMAL93's NES Code Name: Viper in 11:03.74
Post subject: About Duration
XTREMAL93
He/Him
Active player (388)
Movie Duration is 12.05, but game finished in 11.04
Skilled player (1885)
XTREMAL93
He/Him
Active player (388)
Randil wrote:
For reference, ECCO submitted a run of this game back in 2007: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5142&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
ECCO in 11.06 XTREMAL93 in 11.04
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
How come your movie lasts longer then? Just explain for us.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
XTREMAL93
He/Him
Active player (388)
feos wrote:
Just Watch It. I recorded movie from Power On to Final Titles. Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSHEzLaaE8A
Post subject: Pay attention to this matter!
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
I think the writers of the plot of this game were on as much drugs as possible.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Active player (308)
The hero is so cool he doesn't even need pants. Voted YES for buttnaked playable character.
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
XTREMAL93 wrote:
feos wrote:
Just Watch It. I recorded movie from Power On to Final Titles. Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSHEzLaaE8A
You movie file contains several hundreds of blank frames at the end, after turbo A. We use to stop the movie right after pressing the last button necessery to win. You can fix the file (delete these empty lines) with a text editor and upload here, so that it could be put in the submission instead of the current one. Только не используй стандартный Блокнот.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Skilled player (1150)
XTREMAL93 wrote:
Randil wrote:
For reference, ECCO submitted a run of this game back in 2007: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5142&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
ECCO in 11.06 XTREMAL93 in 11.04
Did you watch the ECCO's run? in fact, your tas is too much slower than ECCO's. (about 627 frames)
XTREMAL93
He/Him
Active player (388)
feos wrote:
XTREMAL93 wrote:
feos wrote:
You movie file contains several hundreds of blank frames at the end, after turbo A. We use to stop the movie right after pressing the last button necessery to win. You can fix the file (delete these empty lines) with a text editor and upload here, so that it could be put in the submission instead of the current one. Только не используй стандартный Блокнот.
http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1846268761/Code%20Name%20-%20Viper%20%28U%29%20%5B%21%5D.fm2 Так сойдет?
Active player (372)
Just watched both yours and ECCO's, and I have to say, I like yours better because it seems you only shoot the enemies you have to, where as ECCO seems to shoot everything that's moving. That being said, comparing the time on YouTube from when you beat the boss to when ECCO does, yours is a few seconds slower, so I can't vote yes. But, if yours is truly faster, then change my vote to yes, please. I hated this game as a kid (it was just too hard), so I'm very glad to see it get schooled. :)
I don't think the Ecco submission being rejected on game choice will help this one out any... I agree with the c-square though on the more "pacifist" nature of the run. Not pacifist enough though :P
Expert player (3578)
I have no experience in the game itself, but decided find out whether this beats ECCO's run or not. And just as mtvf1 mentions, the final boss is defeated 627 frames earlier in ECCO's run while he choose to end the input a little later to trigger the ending sequence faster - thus the slightly longer input file. For the future you should know that it's fully fine to continuously compare your progress to the an earlier attempt of the run, to make sure that you don't get unnecessary frame losses throughout the run. Not that it would matter much for a run of this game in particular since it'd probably have a low chance of getting accepted anyway.
feos wrote:
Only Aglar can improve this now.
Skilled player (1307)
The rerecord count makes me very suspicious on how polished this run is. The run is nice at the beggining, but the missed shots in the later half especially at the final boss is kind of jarring to see. Voting No for being subpar.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
This game is basically like Rolling Thunder, which does have a published run. However, most of this game's differences make it more interesting. Pros, compared to Rolling Thunder: * Lack of pants ;-) * Midair control * The hostage gameplay mechanic * Much more intricate stage design Cons: * No silly S & M cutscenes * Damage boosting is less helpful * Less need for ammo management All in all, I'd say this is a publishable game. I can't comment much on this run from a technical standpoint, though. I also haven't watched ECCO's run.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, salty!