Player (53)
We need any% for all characters including Sonic alone. Any% awesomeness x4 esp. with all the new routes and glitches being found. The differences in route and strategy between the 3 characters alone vs Sonic and Tails together are large enough to keep things interesting. I know it's a huge project but the people who take this on wud be heroes! Atleast in my eyes. I'd love to be a part of the Tails run but I suck at optimisation. I'm always on the look out for new glitches tho so I'll keep you posted if I find anything that cud save time, no matter how small. I may not be able to TAS myself but atleast I can contribute something as breaking my favourite childhood games is definately something I'd love to be a part of. Thanks for the great site and all the fantastic movies, keep 'em cummin' guys and gals!
gamble5688 wrote:
We need any% for all characters including Sonic alone. Any% awesomeness x4 esp. with all the new routes and glitches being found. The differences in route and strategy between the 3 characters alone vs Sonic and Tails together are large enough to keep things interesting. I know it's a huge project but the people who take this on wud be heroes! Atleast in my eyes. I'd love to be a part of the Tails run but I suck at optimisation. I'm always on the look out for new glitches tho so I'll keep you posted if I find anything that cud save time, no matter how small. I may not be able to TAS myself but atleast I can contribute something as breaking my favourite childhood games is definately something I'd love to be a part of. Thanks for the great site and all the fantastic movies, keep 'em cummin' guys and gals!
I strongly agree, I think we should focus on the Sonic alone, Tails alone, and Knuckles Any% runs.
If you want to see some of my TASes, http://www.youtube.com/ltrp300
marzojr
He/Him
Experienced player (749)
Once I finish the updated newgame+ and update the Sonic + Tails any%, I will try out the Tails any%. I have been wanting to do it for a while now, what with several Tails-only tricks available.
Marzo Junior
To Nitsuja/mmarks: These videos might interest you. They're related to the Competition Mode TAS of S3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSBUXoV1GMw New real-time Azure Lake strat that abuses the lap marker like the Desert Palace strat. I'm curious if this could beat the current tree zip strat. Might be worth looking into; the final lap has been completed in 0"48 using this strat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ErIwLBOh0 Chrome Gadget clip, under the red springs. Definitely worth looking into, as it can save at least 2.5 seconds. I also had a question about the current Chrome Gadget strat. How do you get it so Tails can jump so early after hitting the spring? Is there a certain number of revs spindash it needs to be? In real-time Time Attacks I get lap times of like 5"93 at best x_x Thanks
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
mmarks is banned. Not sure if nitsuja still TASes.
Previous Name: boct1584
Not my TAS WIP, it it is Aglar's. It is AIZ1 with Tails. He also told me that he might not do a full TAS. Link to video[/video]
Ajavalo
He/Him
Hey Marzojr, how's that Newgame+ TAS going? Do you think there's some way to use DMTM's recently found zip in MGZ2? Link to video
Antes de una TAS: -Malo: ¡Voy a conquistar el mundo! -Héroe: ¡Por poco tiempo!
marzojr
He/Him
Experienced player (749)
There are no bubble shields handy in the previous act, and no way to get hyper fast enough; so no, I won't be using it.
Marzo Junior
marzojr
He/Him
Experienced player (749)
Here is the complete TAS map pack for this game (44.6 MiB). It includes the maps from TSC, plus the ones I made using Gens-map hack, all with solidity information added from dumped images generated by the SonLVL level editor (plus heavy ImageMagick/bash trickery to automatically recolor and resize the solidity). Where it makes sense, I made one map per solidity path. Only has the single-player levels; I may do the 2p mode levels as a separate file later.
Marzo Junior
Even though there are a ton of S3&K TAS' out there already, I think that a "no zip" run would be pleasant to see. Considering there is one for sonic 1 (which was amazing)
There's always SprintGod's old TAS. While it wasn't made with the latest tools it's still quite high-quality. Alas it does use the "look down, then jump up" zip technique, but most of the levels are still played normally.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
His very first one doesn't, though.
Derakon wrote:
There's always SprintGod's old TAS. While it wasn't made with the latest tools it's still quite high-quality. Alas it does use the "look down, then jump up" zip technique, but most of the levels are still played normally.
Yes but those levels could be improved. Especially after all of these years, we've discovered new routes.
Post subject: Glitchless Sonic 3
Ajavalo
He/Him
http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10210&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 Here's a topic about a Glitchless Sonic 3 run from two years ago, but it generated many problems (What is exactly a glitch?) and I don't think marzojr intends to revive it at the moment.
marzojr wrote:
Only has the single-player levels; I may do the 2p mode levels as a separate file later.
That would be awesome! I'd very much appreciate it if you could do that. Also, what do the colors mean on those maps?
marzojr
He/Him
Experienced player (749)
Green overlay = top solid, sides and bottom not solid. Red overlay = top not solid, sides and bottom solid. Blue overlay = top, sides and bottom solid. Will see about dumping the 2p maps. Edit: Done, here they are. These were done based on the Zone 0 maps.
Marzo Junior
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
Derakon wrote:
Wow, I like this run :) especially the boss fight at ~26:00
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
Player (53)
An oldie but a goodie, that was an awesome TAS. The problem with doing a no glitch or low glitch run is that peoples opinions of what a glitch is or how big a glitch has to be to be disallowed varies massively- you can never please every one, I mean look at the controversy surrounding certain tricks on the S1 no zips run. The only way to please everyone would be to make an endless list of pointless categories, while it is a nice idea to show off more "normal" gameplay it ends up getting needlessly complicated with long lists of and arguments over what should and shouldn't be allowed.
Post subject: Glitchless Sonic 3
Ajavalo
He/Him
Rather than going by actual, technical glitches, I think we should consider things that look alright and things that don't, regardless of glitchiness. For example, any watcher wouldn't mind high slope jumps, because they don't look silly and add style to the run, but going through walls, of course, doesn't look well at all. The problem now is writing objectives that would take care of the silly techniques, because forbiding zips still leaves room for going through walls, as seen in Aglar's run.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
The best way to avoid that would be to have "Does not enter level geometry" as a goal. Nothing ambiguous about that, though laymen might need it explained.
Editor, Player (44)
The problem there is that pretty much every jump in the game does that. I think I suggested a category that bans exiting solid objects from a side other than the side you entered them from; I don't yet know of any issues with that definition, although perhaps they exist.
Ajavalo
He/Him
^Okay, I think a pretty good wording for that could be "Player doesn't get through terrain". Through is the key word, it allows terrain blocks to eject the player normally, but not to let him pass through to the other side, which is what we don't want. Someone tell me if there's any problem with this. And, by the way, the full list of objectives for a good looking run would be rather long...
You're missing the common use case of entering terrain from the bottom and being ejected to the right or left. This is often done to get a minor speed boost by jumping into the corner of a floating platform or the like. Perhaps you don't care so much about such "micro-clips" (since they only last a frame) but ais523's suggested category description is more complete.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Post subject: Low glitch objectives
Ajavalo
He/Him
^If that's just micro-clips, there's absolutely no reason for it to be considered. Getting that nitpicky isn't going to help, a no-BS run doesn't have to be technically perfect, it'd get overly complicated, and perhaps more boring. I'm now very determined to end this nightmare, so I'm giving you all a list of the most predominant/biggest run-breakers, IMO the only ones that need to go: -No zips, no horizontal underflow. -No gravity-related bugs. -Players don't (pass through terrain/get ejected in the wrong direction). -Player 1 (Sonic) doesn't go over the top of the level/screen (the latter for looping maps). -Player 1 (Sonic) doesn't pass through offscreen sprites. -Players don't move during the intro or any score tallies. -No death. Feel free to reword these sentences or point out any problem they might cause. Other things that may look bad, but are just one-offs, shouldn't hurt the whole movie, such as the AIZ2 cutscene skip (doesn't even count as in-game time) and the Knux fight (is also dumb without Tails, as seen in Sprintgod's). I know many of you want more "low-glitch" Sonic runs, please consider this!
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
What is horizontal underflow?..
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)