(Link to video)
FractalFusion: Added Youtube encode with SRT captions. Downloadable encode with Adv. SSA subtitles, and Nicovideo encode are given in the discussion thread.

Main info

• Emulator used: BizHawk 1.3.0
  • Console: Super NES
  • Objectives: Aims for fastest time;
  • Manipulates luck

About the game

Metal Max Returns is a post-apocalyptic role-playing video game developed by Crea-Tech and published by Data East for the SNES in 1995. It is a remake of the original Metal Max for the NES, featuring improved graphics and sound, revised areas, references to Metal Max 2 and decreased difficulty.
Set in a gritty, post-apocalyptic/wild west hybrid environment, a nameless youth decides to become a Hunter, one who fights monsters and cashes in on bounties, usually with heavy artillery. Enter Metal Max’s defining feature - tanks. You’ll spend a lot of time playing with your tanks - twinking them out, customizing them, even attaching little baubles to their dashboards. Most of the game is spent with your tanks, but it’s important that you don’t ignore your human characters´ development, because there will be times when you can’t use your tanks.
Metal Max is light on story, but heavy on gameplay. There’s a ton of stuff to do, such as hunting the weekly bounty head, improving your Hunter rank, toying with your tanks, exploring, getting a tattoo. It’s really up to you to figure out what you want to make of yourself in the wide world of Metal Max, but you’ll have a blast doing so!
There is a fan translation of this game. Although my movie can be run only in the original rom. English translation patch

About the movie of this game

I submitted a Tas movie of Metal Max before this.Tas Metal Max
This movie of Metal Max Returns is unlike the one of Metal Max in almost every way. The high degree of completion of Metal Max Returns cause that we can’t use any bugs to get through it. Therefore in battles we make a critical hit in every round for the most damage to enemies and keep our equipments without damage, in this way we can win the battle. The reencounters in the wild can’t be avoided in this edition. So we can only reduce it by Luck Manipulation. Even though the remake edition increases trouble to make a movie, it also provides a convenience for us by add some scenes, especially the subway ruins.
The fastest movie of this game is that in 32:17 at present. The movie was well done so I borrowed my movie from it. The most obvious feature in my movie is that I took full advantage of the subway and the rental tank. It made the distance greatly reduced.

The processes

1.Find the buried money near Negi (the second village) and equip our tank in Pobre Obre (the third village) with cannons, engine, Piercing Shells and Dog System (a teleport tool). Then beat the two Big Cannons.
2.Walk directly to Rocco (the fifth village) and park at the entrance. Walk through the Jizo’s Passageway. Find the eastern entrance of the East-West Subway Ruins. Find the buried SMG Grenade in ruins and come out from the western entrance.
3.Go to Santa Poco (the twelfth village) and rent a tank, teleport to Rocco by a Dog System on the rental tank to take our tank and back to Santa Poco.
4.On the way north find the buried 205mm Red Peony, it’s one of the strongest cannon our tank can equip. But it’s too heavy too carry so our tank should continue to be towed by the rental tank.
5.In the battle with Robo-Police equip SMG Grenade and beat it in Heel’s Gate.
6.Find the powerful engine V100 Kong in Noah’s base and the mission of the rental tank is complete. Then beat Noah with our own tank and return home. The end.

Others

To save time I turned off the animation of battles at the beginning of the game. If it can be turn on, I think the battles will be much more alive.
As the random number in this game is hard to make a Luck Manipulation, you will see a few frames stop somewhere. That is unavoidable.
This movie contains a very long trailer animation because the Chinese character "完"(The End)won't appear without a control.
Enjoy it!

NitroGenesis: Say RIP to the ROM link. Don't post those.
FractalFusion: Replaced movie with 155-frame improvement.
FractalFusion: Accepted, but because of the lack of response, it will go into Vault tier.
Brandon: Publication underway.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3791: suwei's SNES Metal Max Returns in 30:58.86
Hi, you should delete the rom link as we don't provide those ( exept if the rom is copyright free) as i still can't run bizhawk, i'll wait for an encode ! thanks ! Edit : i found what was goin' wrong in my Bizhawk 1.3 i had to copy the content of the DLL Folder in the "main folder" to make it run
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Nicos wrote:
Hi, you should delete the rom link as we don't provide those ( exept if the rom is copyright free)
Hmm, it mysteriously vanished.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
thanks
Player (112)
Nicos wrote:
Hi, you should delete the rom link as we don't provide those ( exept if the rom is copyright free)
What a stupid thing I did. I'm sorry for that. Thanks.
Player (112)
NitroGenesis wrote:
Hmm, it mysteriously vanished.
Thanks for the trouble.
suwei wrote:
Nicos wrote:
What a stupid thing I did. I'm sorry for that. Thanks.
it's ok, you didn't did it on purpose at least it alowed me to update my bookmarks... >.> nice run, like the nes one.... so the dog was a boss....
Player (112)
Nicos wrote:
it's ok, you didn't did it on purpose at least it alowed me to update my bookmarks... >.> nice run, like the nes one.... so the dog was a boss....
Yes. It's a fixed plot there. The bug exists only in the nes edition. Even though the game has been well researched, that bug is rarely known by players because it's almost impossible in a real machine.
Skilled player (1174)
suwei wrote:
Nicos wrote:
Yes. It's a fixed plot there. The bug exists only in the nes edition. Even though the game has been well researched, that bug is rarely known by players because it's almost impossible in a real machine.
So, where is the encode?
The king is always lucky.
Player (112)
Bernka wrote:
So, where is the encode?
Hi! What's the meaning of it? I don't really know the rules here. Is it permitted to post an encode before it is accepted?
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1141)
suwei wrote:
What's the meaning of it? I don't really know the rules here. Is it permitted to post an encode before it is accepted?
Yes it is allowed[1], even encouraged (mediafire, other file sharing sites, your webspace, your youtube channel, etc..). [1] But not to archive.org nor to TVC. And even after acceptance, only encodes meeting the guidelines for official encodes (high quality, low file size, logos, subtitles, length, etc...) go there.
Player (112)
Ilari wrote:
suwei wrote:
What's the meaning of it? I don't really know the rules here. Is it permitted to post an encode before it is accepted?
Yes it is allowed[1], even encouraged (mediafire, other file sharing sites, your webspace, your youtube channel, etc..). [1] But not to archive.org nor to TVC. And even after acceptance, only encodes meeting the guidelines for official encodes (high quality, low file size, logos, subtitles, length, etc...) go there.
I see. Thank you.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Good job! This game looks really good, compared to the original Metal Max; now it mostly looks like a Final Fantasy game. The subway area was a pretty nice touch, even though it was a little too long. Mostly, the game moves at a faster pace than the NES version. I was surprised to see how different your route was... you don't fight pirates anymore, and overall it seems there are fewer battles. I was both glad and annoyed to see random battles, because I liked seeing what the mechanical enemies looked like. I can't vote Yes on entertainment for this, mostly because (a) I can't understand the dialogue, and (b) there's not a lot that's very engaging about the fights or the plot. This is definitely a strong Meh for me, and it certainly should be published alongside the NES run. Good job again!
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Player (112)
mklip2001 wrote:
Good job! This game looks really good, compared to the original Metal Max; now it mostly looks like a Final Fantasy game. The subway area was a pretty nice touch, even though it was a little too long. Mostly, the game moves at a faster pace than the NES version. I was surprised to see how different your route was... you don't fight pirates anymore, and overall it seems there are fewer battles. I was both glad and annoyed to see random battles, because I liked seeing what the mechanical enemies looked like. I can't vote Yes on entertainment for this, mostly because (a) I can't understand the dialogue, and (b) there's not a lot that's very engaging about the fights or the plot. This is definitely a strong Meh for me, and it certainly should be published alongside the NES run. Good job again!
I agree with you that the subway is a little too long. But because of this, it became out of ordinary. If you choose this route when you at a low level, usually you will be killed without the protection of your tank. About the random battles, I also agree with you. The character design of enemies is also an important part of a game's culture. So it's a double-edged sword to display a random battle in a tas movie, even though I don't want it to come. About the entertainment of the fights in this game is not bad I think and the fights animation is very lively. For example, our second chariot(a total of eight) is a cross-country car. It's very special because you can use an individual equipment or personal tools in it. Then you can see the character's head rise from the car to strike enemies with his weapon. And different vehicles can be transformed in different forms. But all about these unable to be displayed in this movie. So do the plot of the game. Thank you for your view!
Player (112)
Update the movie for 155 frames saved. http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/3522812900897326 Seckilled the second form of final boss to save a round by an excellent fortune. Thank you, editor.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
suwei, are you still trying to improve the run? If so, I will delay encoding.
Player (112)
FractalFusion wrote:
suwei, are you still trying to improve the run? If so, I will delay encoding.
No, I don't plan to improve it again. That was the last time. Sorry for the inconvenience my frequent updates may cause. I'm expecting you to encode it. Thank you very much.
Downloadable encode with Adv. SSA subtitle file (~43MB): http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8db69kk4cv541ld Also Youtube (but limited to SRT captions): Link to video Also Nicovideo (no captions at all, but there are scrolling comments :) ): (account) http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19773614 (no account) http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm19773614
Any comments on the run before it is judged? There is an encode ready, with translation subtitles as well.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2277] SNES Metal Max Returns by suwei in 30:58.86