Submission Text Full Submission Page
I haven't seen any glitchless TASes of this lately so I decided to make one sure it still does the jump through enemies and pirhanna plants tricks but no walking through bricks glitched flagpoles no nothing a glitch free TAS. I wanted to find a glitch free run but it seems there are none to this is my TAS.

Noxxa: Hello kusoman, and welcome to TASVideos.
Unfortunately, I am rejecting your submission, as it does not meet the standards of optimization in order to the published on this site. There are a lot of unnecessary slowdowns, pauses and other errors which cause the run to lose a lot of time. For more information about the technical flaws in this run, see this post.
Also, "glitchless" is not a good category as there is very little difference between a standard glitched run and a glitchless run; an optimized glitchless run would only save a handful of seconds at best compared to a standard run.
Additionally, Super Mario Bros. is not recommended for new TASers to try and submit a movie of, as the existing runs are already very thoroughly optimized and very hard to improve, and they also set a very high standard for runs of the game.
I recommend you take a good look at runs like [1715] NES Super Mario Bros. "warps" by HappyLee in 04:57.31 to see what kind of quality we expect for a tool-assisted speedrun to be accepted on this site. Be sure to also read and understand the Guidelines in order to see what is needed for a TAS worthy to publish on the site.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4381: kusoman's NES Super Mario Bros. "glitchless" in 06:00.99
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Slower than an RTA which is "glitchless" (There might be faster "glitchless" but this is the one I was looking for). No Vote. Oh and also slower than the one which started it all: [665] NES Super Mario Bros. "warps" by Bisqwit in 05:15.65 Your TAS input overshoots. 8-4's Final "A" Input: 20941 (20916 to 20941 A is held, Mario Bros only needs it for 6 frames according to HappyLee's input.) 8-4's Final Input: 20966 (It's a "B" input) Final Input: 21637 Final Frame: 21694 Also that re-record count. Edit: Was taking time to find the RTA. So I decided to plop the RTA WR there instead for a temporary amount of time. Sorry adelikat.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
Nice Let's Play!
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
Spikestuff wrote:
Slower than the RTA WR. No vote.
The RTA uses glitches though, just saying.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
I'm pretty sure I've managed 5:31 glitchless in an old RTA and I'm sure more time could be saved as I had fireworks in one of the stages. That being said, SMB isn't one of those games really broken by glitches like Mega Man 1 or other games so I don't feel a glitchless category would be very necessary.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
For a "glitchless" run, the time is about 55 seconds higher than it should be if it were optimized. Even for a real-time speedrun this would be a fairly poor attempt; there are way too many pauses or slowdowns everywhere, as well as sloppiness such as running into walls, which kills your momentum in the process and costs multiple seconds at times. Other things that stood out:
  • In 1-1, not only are you already 4 in-game seconds slower than the fastest real-time runs and TASes, but you also get fireworks, which cost even more time.
  • In 4-2, you decide to hit a single invisible block which is too high up to reach immediately, so you just end up waiting for the moving platforms on the left - twice - instead of just hitting some other blocks and climbing up that way. This costs a massive amount of time. Additionally, at the end, you undershoot the point where you need to turn left twice, so you end up dancing on the ledge for a second. You have rerecords to remove these sort of mistakes (along with many others), why didn't you do this?
  • In 8-1, you stomp a Paratroopa from below and clip through it, which can be considered a glitch.
  • In 8-2, before the large gap, you end up dropping your speed sufficiently that you need to turn back on the pipe in order to take a running start and jump across the pit. All of this could have been avoided with more careful speed management. Also, after score countdown, you mash buttons a lot (which you do in general during intermissions), which in this instance causes you to pause the game, needlessly wasting a few more seconds.
  • In 8-3, you do a "perfect" jump over a piranha plant multiple times, clipping through them in the process. This is the number one reason real-time records of Super Mario Bros. are accused of cheating, and a "glitchless" run should avoid such instances if it wants to remain true to the spirit of its category.
  • In 8-4, before entering the midair pipe, you miss the invisible block before it twice, which really just looks like an epic fail. This would be absolutely terrible for a real-time run, but a TAS just has no excuse, period. You also clip through a fireball and Bowser's hammers at the end, further making it seem less legit for a glitchless run.
Besides this, "glitchless" is not a good category for this game, as the few glitches present do not make a large difference timewise in this game. I'd expect a fully optimized glitchless runs to be maybe 10 seconds at best longer than the "glitched" run, and even then it's still not publishable as it is very redundant to the main run. Also, Super Mario Bros. is actually not a good game for a new TASer to try and run, as the existing runs are already very thoroughly optimized and very hard to improve, and they also set a very high standard for runs of the game. Bottom line: 74 rerecords are definitely far from enough for a run of this length; I'd expect at least two orders of magnitude more rerecords for a run of this game. The 74 rerecords in this run don't even seem to have been used all that well, due to all the pausing and sloppy errors made in this run, which aren't even excusable for a real time speedrun without rerecords. kusoman, I recommend you take a good look at runs like [1715] NES Super Mario Bros. "warps" by HappyLee in 04:57.31 to see what kind of quality we expect for a tool-assisted speedrun to be accepted on this site. Be sure to also read and understand the Wiki: Guidelines in order to see what is needed for a TAS worthy to publish on the site.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Barring the sensibility of the category, this run is hardly tool-assisted. With that level of optimization, I'd hardly even call it a speedrun. The following 'glitchless' run was made in 30 minutes and improves on this by 50 seconds. http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/203167821/abetterglitchlessrun.fm2
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... minty!
Player (12)
Way too many newbies think of TASing as making a speedrun or a playthrough with the luxury of rerecords. It's really more like grinding out the optimal solution to a mathematical equation.
Editor
^To be fair, making a TAS is an incredibly daunting task - sure, some newcomers do great (in the past year or so, we've had got4n, solarplex, MrWint and numerics just off the top of my head), but the number of newcomers to this site who have both the dedication to spend hundreds of hours on rerecords and the skill to meet the insanely high standards the site upholds is probably south of 1%. We should probably be doing more to encourage newcomers to contribute in less glamorous roles.