Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is a TAS of NES Mission Impossible.
It is my first submission.
  • Emulator used: FCEUX 2.2.2
  • beats the game as fast as possible.
  • Uses glitches to save time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Luck Manipulation
Comments:
I chose this game as I found it on Meshuggah's list of SDA runs without a TAS. It seemed interesting enough for a beginner like me to both enjoy and learn from. I certainly learned a lot. The route mostly follows Guhbadoo's live run, with the only major change skipping a switch in level 6 (that could even be performed real time to improve the run.)
In the game you have a choice of 3 characters, you can change between them at any time. There is Grant, the fastest runner, and 2 other guys who are slower then Grant. So Grant is used most of the time except for brief cameos by the other 2.
One point about this game is that it makes extensive use of RNG. Usually changing something in the run will slightly alter most of the rest of the run, requiring you to go over it all again. The biggest point of RNG is the location of the key cards, usually effected by actions you take in the previous level.
Thanks to SoulCal for suggesting the faster Ninja boss strategy.
Stage by stage comments:
Level 1:
Most of the the tricks and glitches used in the run are shown off in level 1. Canceling punching animation by pressing a direction in the next frame is used constantly. Something minor that is used throughout the game is that defeating enemies while misaligned with them causes them to move on a 45 degree angel out of your walking path, this is used whenever practical. The laser traps can be walked through if on the correct alignment, something originally found by heisanevilgenius. With correct timing you can run right through the mechanical claws at the end of the level.
Level 2:
Auroscrolling boat level, not too much to mention except I purposely take 1 damage at the end as it seems to spawn the level 3 key card in the optimal location.
Level 3:
The Ninja Boss is totally RNG dependent. In the end I just guessed enough times to get him in a good spot. If anything in this run separates it from a real time run it would be this fight.
Level 4:
Using the shield guy to push you is the only big trick here. Credit goes to Guhbadoo for that.
Level 5:
Grant feels lazy after carrying the team through 4 levels already, he doesn't move much, even being shot by a helicopter doesn't seem to bother him.
Level 6:
The longest level and almost 1/2 of the run. I did find one new route here in that you can skip a switch that stops the flame wall from moving back and forth on the way to the first key card. After that its painful, repeated autoscrollers. Sorry I know its not very entertaining, and most of the time the screen is empty. The flamethrower guys in particular will start to cause a lot of lag if you leave them alive. You might notice a few times Grant punches into the air, this is done to set up enemies on a good pattern in the next area.
This movie is about 3 minutes faster then the current best run I could find (Guhbadoo's real time one.) Some new glitches would need to be found to substantially improve this run I think. One that would skip the trap door in level 6 would greatly improve the entertainment value of this run as well as save a lot of time. Also, it MIGHT be possible to defeat the ninja boss in one cycle, although I'm not positive you can manipulate his position and destroy enough blocks at the same time.
Of course thanks to those who posted in the Forum Thread and helped me get through my first TAS with (I think) a pretty good final product!

feos: Updated the movie file.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4517: Alyosha's NES Mission: Impossible in 24:11.96
Active player (469)
Skilled player (1404)
Overall, very nice looking! I have to bring up a few points, though. 1. Most of the autoscrollers are rather dull because you spend too much time on the edge of the screen. 2. The missed shots look lazy. Especially against the robot arms in level six. You shouldn't be missing like that unless you absolutely have to. 3. Against the robot arms, would it be possible to not destroy them? Dodging them the whole time may make that autoscroller a touch more interesting. 4. Level Six again. Any reason why you went around the boxes instead of through them when getting to the conveyor belt room? 5. In some of the rooms with prison doors, would it be faster to briefly switch to Gun Man instead of using the slow moving tear gas? 6. Before Spikestuff mentions it, why does your input file continue all through the credits?
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Ferret Warlord wrote:
6. Before Spikestuff mentions it, why does your input file continue all through the credits?
stares at Ferret Warlord User movie #19373900165487780 That ending input is one of the most unoptimal things I have ever seen. Let's start with final input, you had 87315 (24:12.86) as the final input (corrected). 87269 (24:12.09) is the final input when you clean up all the mistakes to the entire ending part. For some reason you had your Input split at parts when sequencing to the next button. At other times the blank input to go to another input was needed but it was much less than not requiring it. It can be improved at the start but RNG screws you over so I cannot provide any help for that. There is also a few other parts where this can happen (like 3 or 4) but RNG strikes again. So you win this round.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3520)
Ahhh my mistake ending it wrong sorry about that. Will fix it when I get the chance. Lets see... The boxes in the long hallway in level 6 can't actually be destroyed (assuming you mean with soldier's bomb) so you can't go straight through them. The soldier's bullets only stay on screen as long as he is on screen, so i don't think its possible to actually open the cell doors any quicker by switching to him. I think I would need to at least destroy the top robot arm to get the switch as fast as possible.... Surely my next run will have no autoscrollers.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Alyosha wrote:
Ahhh my mistake ending it wrong sorry about that. Will fix it when I get the chance.
This can be done by a moderator of TASVideos, you don't have to do a resubmission. Just post the fix here and you'll be good as something...
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Alyosha
He/Him
Ok fixed. It now ends on frame 87260. http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/19380761111346830 Thanks for updating, sorry didn't get it right the first time.
Skilled player (1404)
I'm referring to the bit around 13:50 in Plex's encode. You take the long way around some containers instead of taking the path between them.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Alyosha
He/Him
Ferret Warlord wrote:
I'm referring to the bit around 13:50 in Plex's encode. You take the long way around some containers instead of taking the path between them.
OTL Ahh good catch, I completely overlooked that when I changed the route, I guess I watched it too many times. Please CANCEL this submission. Maybe I'll take another look at it.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... *burp*!
Spikestuff
They/Them
You update your userfile but you didn't incorporate the faster ending input. User movie #19385326918226009 Also, I just missed it before it canceled. So close. :3
WebNations/Sabih wrote: