King's Quest V 100% run.
  • Movie plays back on: FCEUX 2.1.5.
  • Emulator originally used: FCE Ultra 0.98.21
  • Aims for fastest time with maximum score
  • Genre: Adventure ("Point and click")

Comments

For my first ever TAS, I decided to TAS a King's Quest game as I'm quite fond of the series. The problem with this, of course, is that the King's Quest games are all PC games, so I had to go with this NES port instead. That's okay, though; apart from the graphics, it's just as good as the original, really.

About the game

King's Quest V is a "point and click" adventure game. Items must be gathered, traded and otherwise used in order to find other items... occasinally, items may even be used to progress in the game! Imagine that! An example from the game: -Get fish. -Use fish to get honey. -Use honey to get shoes. -Trade shoes for hammer. -Use hammer to get crystal. -Use crystal to be able to progress in the game. Quite ridiculous, but that's how these old adventure games play. And, of course, if you missed an item in an area you can't go back to, you're screwed. This game is not forgiving. As for the story of the game, it tells the tale of King Graham whose entire family (not to mention his castle!) gets shrunk and put in a jar by the evil wizard Mordack. King Graham seeks help from the good wizard Crispin and Cedric the owl, and sets out on a journey to save his family. That's about it. If you want to follow the storyline as you watch the TAS, you should open the ROM and watch the intro first, as I skip right past the intro in the video.

About the run

First of all, since there are very few points that can be avoided in the first place (you can avoid meeting the blue monster (the second time) and the cat in Mordack's castle, which also means you don't have to pick up the second fish and the pea bag), I decided to go for a maximum score run, getting all 260 points. Other than that, I always tried to do everything as fast as possible by...
  • ...finding the fastest route through the game
    • After getting an overview of the Serenia forest and the desert, and where the needed items were, planning the routes for these two areas was pretty easy. Not so obvious, however, were the routes through the dark forest, and the town (when trading items). Here I had to test the various possibilities to make sure I used the fastest route. From the mountain part and out, the game is more straightforward.
  • ...doing all the walking myself
    • When, for example, picking up and item, you can move the cursor over to the item and make Graham pick it up as soon as you enter the screen; Graham would automatically walk over to the item and pick it up. I quickly realized I couldn't do that, though, as Graham's automatic walking speed is much slower than his regular walking speed. I saved a lot of time by manually walking over to the spot where Graham would have automatically placed himself. This (usually) also reduced the distance I had to move the cursor, as the cursor always appears where Graham is standing.
Other than that, I just make sure to select every action (closing text boxes, cycling through the inventory etc.) on the first possible frame. You know, obvious things like that.

Thanks

• alden, for teaching me how to use Memory Search
  • Randil, for finding some of the most important memory addresses for me (before alden taught me how to find them myself)

NesVideoAgent: Hi! I am a robot. I took a few screenshots of this movie and placed them here. Oh! I also corrected the ROM name.
  • You indicated King's Quest V (U).nes
  • I updated it to King's Quest V (U) [!].nes

Truncated: Rejected. I didn't find this movie enjoyable, or the game humorous, and it seems some other people did the same.

adelikat: Unrejecting and accepting for publication to the Vault

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Skilled player (1636)
Were the menus done in frame advance, and just really slow? They seemed to take a long time, compared to most in-game menus. Otherwise, good run.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Player (14)
Yes, the menus are kinda slow, I'm afraid. And yes, they were done in frame advance.
How's your digestion now?
Dwedit
He/Him
Nice job! Of course, the VGA version of the game is so much better. The NES version looks like it was programmed by noobs.
Player (120)
This movie was much faster paced than I had expected, and seemed very carefully done. I've always wanted to see a TAS of a Sierra game, and this was no disappointment. Perhaps you can tackle the SMS version of the first one next? ;)
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Despite the low pace and linearity of the game (sans item pickup order), I found this quite entertaining. I wish it had more music, though. I vote yes.
Voted NO for NO reason
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Although I like some Sierra adventure games, this game didn't impress me. There were a few hilarious moments, but the game was generally too slow and repetitive. The NES graphics are clearly inferior to graphics in PC-version VGA games. Voting no.
I was surprised how well this worked. It's making me wonder what can be completely skipped though... to make it faster and not for speed and points... but depending on what can be left out, it works for me. ^^ Most enjoyable! Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
I didn't find it interesting from a TAS perspective, and would have preferred a consistent per-character delay to the text boxes for readability, since it is very interesting as gaming nostalgia. (That this would have increased the length of the movie by a large factor is fine with me.) I give it a Yes, though just barely.
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3273)
I agree. Entertainment would be enhanced by slowing the menu's down enough to be readable...they're pretty slow anyways for a TAS. As it is, I don't know what's going on without pausing to read each menu, and the graphics are really terrible, but it's a treat to be reunited with Cedric the faithful owl! Voted yes, but would definitely vote for a slower movie with readable text to obsolete this one.
Yeah, the only thing I don't like about this game is that there isn't much to be skipped. I'm fairly positive the whole tripping the beast/bagging the cat is the only one that is optional (plus it takes time to luck manipulate the cat into not showing up. In light of that, I'm glad this aims for the max score. It seems just a little weird that you have to complete like 98% of the game just to beat it, so why not spend those extra few seconds to make it 100%. I can't wait to see the King's Quest I run, since there's a TON of optional puzzles in that one!
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
Nostalgia is quite a power influence it seems. Having never played the game, this bored me to tears. From a TAS perspective it has nothing going for it. I don't see why the route couldn't be replicate it real time. Even the menu's are slow so they could be done about that efficiently. Also the graphics are rather unpleasant to look at. It lacks any good audio element as well. I'm surprised at the viewer response. I can't imagine what people are enjoying. Sorry, but this is a No from me.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Player (120)
adelikat wrote:
Nostalgia is quite a power influence it seems. ... I'm surprised at the viewer response.
Why would we be playing any of these games except for nostalgia's sake? Is it a surprise that the highest rated movies are generally the best selling and most well known games? (One could say technical ratings shouldn't have anything to do with that, but usually the tech ratings are high because many people have competed on them since they are popular.) Anyways, as you can tell I certainly agree with that first statement, and as with most of the movies here a previous familiarity seems to be a major asset in enjoying this run. This is in contrast to the KQ1 movie, which I think is fast paced and short enough to be a sort of experience in itself -- it obviously helps to know and like the game but I imagine that it is not as much a requirement.
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
Experienced player (822)
Some select quotes regarding this movie: [22:28] <mmbossman> hahaha the main character just caught mini me [22:29] <mmbossman> HOLY SHIT Dinosaur bones! [22:29] <mmbossman> AND underpants gnomes! [22:31] <mmbossman> the tree just turned into a bone-able chick [22:31] <adelikat> o_o [22:31] <mmbossman> oh WTF! she just ran off with some dude, who didn't just change her from a tree into a babe It looks like a game I may have had fun playing 20 years ago, but it's just not suited for a TAS. The menus are unbearably slow at times, and since they constitute 50% of the movie, it'd take something pretty impressive in the other 50% to redeem the movie. Unfortunately, the other 50% is slow walking :( It looks like you did a good job with the route planning and all, but even kicking Bigfoot's ass with a custard pie wasn't entertaining enough. Voting no.
Living Well Is The Best Revenge My Personal Page
N._Harmonik
She/Her
I guess we'll just have to wait until someone adds rerecording to a DOS emulator.
Why, oh, why do I even <i>try</i> to understand my own species?
Banned User, Former player
N. Harmonik wrote:
I guess we'll just have to wait until someone adds rerecording to a DOS emulator.
There already is one; it just sucks. Namely, DOSBox. The main problem comes from the fact that it's a pain in the ass to get working.
Perma-banned
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2134] NES King's Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder! by BZero in 33:27.63
I wish you could've done the PC version! But if DOS games can be done, why not the DOS version of KQ5?
Bismuth wrote:
I wish you could've done the PC version! But if DOS games can be done, why not the DOS version of KQ5?
This TAS was made before a reliable DOS emulator was available. I'm not sure if it's worth making movies of adventure games (that don't have major glitches to make them entertaining), but I guess they qualify for the Vault now. One notable thing about NES KQV is that it is the only Sierra game ported to the NES, AFAIK. I don't think there are many adventure games on the NES because of its limitations. Meanwhile, there are tons of adventure games on DOS.
<ccfreak2k> There is no 'ctrl' button on DeHackEd's computer. DeHackEd is always in control.
Player (26)
blahmoomoo wrote:
I'm not sure if it's worth making movies of adventure games (that don't have major glitches to make them entertaining), but I guess they qualify for the Vault now.
There's always route planning; and some of them (but not KQ5) have alternate solutions, or large parts of the game that can be bypassed. For example, in Quest for Glory 1, if you play a rogue and max out your lockpicking skill at the start, I believe you can walk into the secret entrance to the brigand's lair, right from the start.
True. I guess I should have said linear adventure games (like KQ5 is when you know everything you need to do).
<ccfreak2k> There is no 'ctrl' button on DeHackEd's computer. DeHackEd is always in control.
Player (26)
blahmoomoo wrote:
True. I guess I should have said linear adventure games (like KQ5 is when you know everything you need to do).
I think the issue is not so much that adventure games are bad to TAS, but the issue is that KQ5 is a bad adventure game. At least, by modern standards. It was a groundbreaking game back then, with its VGA graphics and voice acting, but it hasn't aged well. KQ6, for instance, is much better, and offers a low% and a 100% ending. KQ1 and KQ2 have alternative solutions for many puzzles, and large parts of the game which are optional.
Former player
In this version of King's Quest V, you can use the tambourine anywhere in Mordack's Labyrinth to "summon" the monster, Dink. If you use the tambourine on yourself, he appears out of no where, does his little dance and scampers off as normal, leaving the hairpin behind. This is only doable in the NES port of this game, not in any PC versions. So, this TAS could save about a minute by not walking all the way to where Dink sits in the labyrinth, and instead just going directly to the exit and using the tambourine along the way.