(Link to video)
Liquid Kids came out in 1990 on the Arcade and was ported to the Pc Engine by Taito, in 1992. This colorful game, filled with huge sprites, stars the strangest animal in the kingdom. The platypus... Hipopo journeys through 7 stages to rescue his girl, Tamasun, while saving other friends at the end of each level. Armed with water bombs, he can soak enemies and ride waves to gain a bit of speed. Warps are used, in this run, in order to unite the couple as soon as possible.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk 1.9.1
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Uses warps
  • And so on

Comments

This game is very straight forward. You can use waves caused by your own projectiles to gain speed. Holding the fire button creates bigger bombs that causes longer lasting waves. You will notice, when jumping down to a lower level you lose horizontal speed. The train item gives a speed boost for every one you find and will last the rest of the stage.

Samsara: You're a kid now. You're a liquid now. You'll be judged now.
Samsara: This is a fantastic run of an overlooked TG-16 game. While there are extremely minor known improvements that can be implemented throughout, they don't detract from the overall level of optimization in the run. Accepted to Moons.
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4931: jaysmad's PCE Liquid Kids "warps" in 08:21.20
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I feel like the English translator for the game should be fired: "Liquid Kids" just feels very wrong as a title. That being said, the game is not bad. It reminds me of a more entertaining version of Kiwi Kraze, with some bits of Bubble Bobble in there (especially the warp zones). The graphics are pretty bad in some spots though, especially those fire circles that spawn enemies. Boss fights looked good, and you deal with crowds of enemies well. I feel like it should be able to be improved a little more, but I can't say how exactly. I vote Yes.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
"If Snow Bros. was a side-scrolling platformer..." Slow-moving character, but reasonably entertaining throughout. Looks optimized from here. When you stop hitting the World 6 boss (at around 5:55 in the encode), is he invulnerable at the time, or is that RNG manipulation?
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2120)
Oh sweet, a Liquid Kids TAS! I've secretly wanted to see one for a while, now. I feel like getting speed boosts from your own waves can be used more frequently throughout the run to save a few frames here and there, though. Just as a quick example: This is ~4 frames faster than just walking right normally.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Editor
I look forward to a crazy optimized run. This game is quite fun and well worth playing at least a little bit.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
jaysmad
Other
Experienced player (834)
Samsara wrote:
I feel like getting speed boosts from your own waves can be used more frequently throughout the run
Thanks for pointing that out! I now realize there is much more possible improvements that i thought. I also did not mention, but holding the fire button will make the water bombs bigger thus creating larger wave that last longer. I sure do hope someone beats the fluff out of this game.
mklip2001 wrote:
I feel like the English translator for the game should be fired: "Liquid Kids" just feels very wrong as a title.
It does sound a little weird. Especially if you consider that Liquid Kids came out after Bubble Bobble and New Zealand Story did it in a van, down by the river.
TheReflexWonder wrote:
When you stop hitting the World 6 boss (at around 5:55 in the encode), is he invulnerable at the time, or is that RNG manipulation?
No i just run away from the boss in order to not die.
TheReflexWonder wrote:
"If Snow Bros. was a side-scrolling platformer..."
That's the exact thought that I had!
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3024] PCE Liquid Kids "warps" by jaysmad in 08:21.20