Post subject: Core Overclocking
I'd like to request being able to overclock an emulation core's CPU for the (possible) elimination of slowdown. MagicEngine had this feature, and it made some games like the Gradius port infinitely more enjoyable. Certain MAME derivatives also can do this for slowdown-plagued games like AC Double Dragon. I know it goes against the whole accuracy thing and can really mess up certain games, but I think it would be a fun feature to have for casual play.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
What system?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Experienced player (601)
I would like to echo this request for an overclocking option, but for N64 core. This functionality is available in a special 1964 build and the results for some games is amazing (e.g. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark play at 60fps consistently). The build I'm referring to is available at: http://www.emucr.com/2011/02/1964-ultrafast-v3.html
Current Project: - Mario Kart 64
I doubt it makes sense to overclock cores that are ported. It must be done by their devs and then adopted (unless someone already has a patch).
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
In that case, NES and PCE. SMS/GG would be cool too if it's not that much work, but I'm not as much of a fan of that system.
Experienced player (601)
Current Project: - Mario Kart 64
feos wrote:
OmegaFlareX wrote:
NES
http://www.fceux.com/web/pressrelease-2.2.3.html
And MagicEngine does PCE. That's nice, but the reason I use BizHawk is its all-in-one solution with a good UI. So my answer is "no" then. Bummer.
OmegaFlareX wrote:
Bummer.
What is that supposed to mean?
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3522)
OmegaFlareX wrote:
In that case, NES and PCE. SMS/GG would be cool too if it's not that much work, but I'm not as much of a fan of that system.
NESHawk's architecture currently has CPU emulation tied in very closely with sound emulation, necessary for recent accuracy improvements . It would be trivial to overclock the whole thing but that would correspondingly speed up sound. I'm not sure I can seperate out the sound without creating spaghetti, so yeah fceux 2.2.3 is probably your best bet for NES.
Alyosha wrote:
It would be trivial to overclock the whole thing but that would correspondingly speed up sound. I'm not sure I can seperate out the sound without creating spaghetti, so yeah fceux 2.2.3 is probably your best bet for NES.
You should stop sample generation on extra scanlines (overclocking is done by adding dummy scanlines like in dendy), and cancel overclocking for 7-bit samples. That way sound won't speed up. 1-bit sample DMA is also disabled during dummy scanlines. Dendy has sound entirely enabled, that's why its frame lasts longer. We can only disable sound and force the regular framerate in emulation, so it's basically a hack. And some games want extra scanlines be to added to vblank instead of post-render.
Player (170)
There is no hope of getting nes overclocking in NESHawk by extra scanlines?
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3522)
Koh1fds wrote:
There is no hope of getting nes overclocking in NESHawk by extra scanlines?
Maybe sometime in the future, but it's not high on my priority list right now, sorry.