Post subject: Re: SMW Strange glitch
Amaraticando
It/Its
Editor, Player (157)
TheLegacy wrote:
I was streaming and I found a strange invisible yoshi god mode glitch on yoshi's island 3 Link's here : Link
If $019D (part of the stack) is a value from 00 to 0C and Yoshi has a null sprite in his mouth, then Yoshi will get wings or be able to stomp the ground based on $16F5 (score sprite high X position). You can manipulate this value at any time, allowing Yoshi to freely swap out powers. You can see other ~600 glitches at SMWCentral: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=72499
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
ACE can work on ANY version on ANY console! (Japanese, USA, PAL, All-Stars) Even through a PowerPak or SD2SNES. (PAL version on NTSC console and vice versa), on clone systems (RetroDuo, FC Twin, RetroN5, Super Genintari), Virtual Console (Wii, Wii U, N3DS) and hotel pay to play services.
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1970)
No it might not.
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
But we'll never know. If someone is going to do a "No Secret Exit Warpless" run, there will be exceptions to the "No Secret Exit" rule which are Forest of Illusion 3 and Chocolate Island 3. The most exits we can get this way is 44. Maybe you can do ACE in a 96 exit run to break the game even further.
Editor, Player (163)
PikachuMan wrote:
there will be exceptions to the "No Secret Exit" rule which are Forest of Illusion 3 and Chocolate Island 3. The most exits we can get this way is 44.
Unless you glitch these exits with Goal Tape Remote Item Swap, like here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPht8Hx4Gj0 (tho I'm almost sure you wouldn't get anything useful in FoI3 because with this glitch you can't walk downward, but you would have to test)
PikachuMan wrote:
a 96 exit run to break the game even further.
Idem
Games are basically math with a visual representation of this math, that's why I make the scripts, to re-see games as math. My things: YouTube, GitHub, Pastebin, Twitter
Banned User, Player (89)
Can i do a TAS about Super Mario World 11 exit Glitchless?
Cuphead TASes desyncs unfortunately.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
FilipeTales wrote:
As long as you make sure to upload it to your userfiles and not create a submission.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Amaraticando
It/Its
Editor, Player (157)
The oldest submissions are pretty much glitchless. #17: Bladegash's SNES Super Mario World in 11:05.70 They aren't fun compared to recent ones.
Editor, Player (163)
FilipeTales wrote:
Glitchless is not good category for TASVideos, since it's encouraged to use glitches. If a glitch makes the run faster, you should use it. As far as I can see, movies can only have a category excluding one or another glitch that clearly breaks the game, in order to show more of the game. Making a SMW 11 Exit Glitchless will show just a little more of the game than the current 11 Exit TAS, but with none entertainment. Lastly, is hard to define "glitch" in order the exclude them, e.g. "should -1 Trick should be banned here?"
Games are basically math with a visual representation of this math, that's why I make the scripts, to re-see games as math. My things: YouTube, GitHub, Pastebin, Twitter
Experienced player (617)
I thought I'd try this "TASing" thing a go again, so I made a run of a SMW hack "This Hack Needs a Name". It feels pretty good to give it a go again, and give me an opportunity to to some shameless self plugging. It's a long run, and I figured it isn't really a submittable game (and in my hastiness figuring out lsnes, I've created the movie starting from dirty SRAM accidentally) so I've uploaded it to the user movies section. Link As far as the run goes It's a bit heavy on the "flying underneath the level" mechanic, and as it's not being submitted, there's no crazy yoshi shit either. So, if anyone feels the need to pass some time, here it is: Link to video
Measure once. Cut twice.
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1970)
andymac wrote:
(and in my hastiness figuring out lsnes, I've created the movie starting from dirty SRAM accidentally)
This is a bug with the TASVideos parser. It's due to the moviesram.srm file existing in the lsmv file (which is an archive). If it is 0 bytes (which it is in your case) then you can simply delete it and there will be no error. This seriously should be fixed on the site though.
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
Experienced player (617)
Makes sense. However, for the benefit of all three people who decide to watch it, I'll probably just leave it as it is.
Measure once. Cut twice.
Experienced player (617)
Sorry to double post, but does anyone know what yoshi related glitches are and aren't allowed in a non ACE run? Also have there been any tricks that haven't been documented in the TAS resources section for this game? I'm thinking of making a 100% TAS of another SMW hack.
Measure once. Cut twice.
Editor, Player (163)
andymac wrote:
does anyone know what yoshi related glitches are and aren't allowed in a non ACE run?
Basically any glitch that crashes the game (and for consequence can sometimes lead to an ACE-able situation) is banned in non-ACE runs. For example, not all Item Swaps are allowed, since a lot of them crash the game, like the item swaps that gives you Cloud in item box. Also, crashes from getting items after some Powerup Incrementation can crash the game, so avoid this too. I can't think any other forbidden situations.
andymac wrote:
have there been any tricks that haven't been documented in the TAS resources section for this game?
I guess most of the useful tricks and glitches for a TAS are there in the Game Resources page, but the actual glitch list is huge, so explore it trying to find something useful. Since some glitches are so obscure and hard or impossible to do in the original game and you'll TAS a hack, these glitches might be helpful. Also feel free to ask anything regarding this list.
Amaraticando
It/Its
Editor, Player (157)
andymac wrote:
Sorry to double post, but does anyone know what yoshi related glitches are and aren't allowed in a non ACE run? Also have there been any tricks that haven't been documented in the TAS resources section for this game? I'm thinking of making a 100% TAS of another SMW hack.
Complementing Valads' answer, I'd like to make a distinction. We usually define ACE as executing arbitrary RAM values (that you can control) or making the game jump to an open bus address. The later is what happens often. For instance, getting the cloud in the reserve by eating the chuck will always make the game jump to open bus, no matter what. Sometimes the game returns to normal execution without any side effects (that's what speedrunners aim in the 11-exit run). However, it's banned for TASers. Some glitches MIGHT trigger an ACE execution, but doesn't always do. For instance, powerup incrementation. Therefore, PI is allowed if you avoid ACE. Lastly, in 100% runs it's conventional to BAN eating any Chuck. This was "decided" because one could backtrack, eat a chuck and get the orb to beat any level. Or get a key in the reserve. Not cool, but depends on the hack.
Experienced player (617)
Does anyone have any information regarding sub-subpixels? I remember Mister or ISM taking about it a long time ago, but I can't seem to find the post about it. It's an explanation for oscillating speeds and acceleration in general in smw.
Measure once. Cut twice.
Editor, Skilled player (1409)
andymac wrote:
Does anyone have any information regarding sub-subpixels? I remember Mister or ISM taking about it a long time ago, but I can't seem to find the post about it. It's an explanation for oscillating speeds and acceleration in general in smw.
Sub-subpixels almost never assume any value other than 0 in SMW. In a few autoscrollers they might change when Mario touches the screen border, but they won't make any effect in the game. Ie, changing with cheats Mario's subsubpixel will never desync a level. Maybe ISM and Mister were actually talking about subspeed, which is a very important value to observe to optimize acceleration, and it does explain why Mario's speed oscillates. Normally, Mario's subspeed is either .00 or .50 (except when he is in slopes or in the ground of slippery levels, but those cases are more complicated). Assuming Mario is moving right and without full speed, Mario's acceleration (when pressing >Y) will be 1 if subspeed = .00 and 2 if subspeed = .50. The subspeed value changes whenever Mario accelerates, that's why his speed goes like 10, 11, 13, 14, 16... If you press < without Y, Mario's deceleration will be 3 if subspeed = .00 and 2 if subpseed = .50. It will also change the subspeed, so Mario's deceleration if pressing only < will look something like 37, 34, 32, 29, 27, 24... If you press <Y, though, Mario's deceleration will be 5 and there is no change in subspeed. It's very important to pay attention to this value to optimize turning around, decelerating to get an item, and pretty much everything that doesn't evolve hopping at max speed. It's also important to manipulate it before touching the goal tape, so that you line up Mario's lowest speed in his 'victory march' with the frame he starts losing speed, so that he gets to 0 speed and starts the animation sooner. Also, if you look closely at the speed values, you will see how the subspeed is the reason Mario's speed oscillates the way it does, and why techniques suck as 6/5 and 1/1 work.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVoUfT49xN9TU-gDMHv57sw Projects: SMW 96 exit. SDW any%, with Amaraticando. SMA2 SMW small only Kaizo Mario World 3
Experienced player (617)
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. When I made that post, I knew there must be a theoretical fractional speed. Which would explain why moving left on the same frame has a different acceleration profile compared to moving right. Also with oscillating speeds, I assumed that the speed must increase by 1.5 if less than 48 and decrease by 1.0 otherwise, hence the oscillations. I was always considerate of it, but I never saw the actual value. Now I feel like an idiot, the sub-speed value was next to the real speed on the lua script the whole time, and I haven't noticed it until now!
Measure once. Cut twice.
Post subject: Sprite spawn skip
Amaraticando
It/Its
Editor, Player (157)
A new glitch (more of a technique, really) allowed 2 new exits in the smallonly TAS: Cheese Bridge Area and Soda Lake (that was unreachable before). Link to video The technique relies on those facts: > sprites are spawned when the camera reaches a certain range of 16 pixels; > the spawn routine happens every other frame; > pausing the game allows a person to add one more frame of inactivity; > the camera can travel 2 pixels per frame faster if Mario was facing the opposite side and then turn around the direction he's traveling. This might happen even he's very slow. > the rope can boost Mario. Without any boost, this tech is impossible with speeds like 49 or 51. Therefore, in order to skip a certain range, one can try to make the camera follow this pattern: Frame 0 (active) | Camera is 15 mod 16 (just before the range) Frame 1 (inactive) | Camera is 06 mod 16 (game is paused) Frame 2n + 1 (inactive) | Camera is 12 mod 16 (game is unpaused at appropriate frame parity) Frame 2n + 2 (active) | Camera is >= 0 mod 16 (just after the range) This whole combination makes it extremely unlikely to ever happen on RTA, but who knows? Remark 1: Later, I found out that it can happen without pausing with those platforms, because they boost mario very quickly. Remark 2: Sadly, the same cannot happen in vertical levels, because the vertical camera has the maximum speed of 5 pixels/frame. So 15 -> 4 -> 9 -> 14 is the best we can do, only 2 pixels away...
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
Very impressive glitch!
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
Post subject: Message Box Glitch
Editor, Player (163)
Here's a new useful glitch: Link to video Text from my video description: The Message Box Glitch, found by Jba03, happens when you use a Message Box that "has no message", and it shows the Yellow Switch Palace message instead by default. It can be done in a level that has one or zero messages assigned. The messages are indexed in $05A590: it represents which levels have message #1, #2, or both. The message a Message Box will display is based on the formula ((x position)/16) mod 2. If the result is 0, it will show message #1, if it's 1, it will show message #2. Since you can,t spawn a Message Box using the current glitches (no Sprite Stunning can spawn one nor Item Swap with sprites that give items can give you one in the item box), your only option is trying to activate a Message Box during an Item Swap with it in a level that has only one. The list of possible levels according to the table in $05A590 can be seen here. In DGH (level $04) and DSH (level $13) you can't enter with Yoshi, so you'd have to bring one in the item box, which requires getting a 1up with PI $26, which is boring. But in DP3 (level $05), CI2 (level $24) and Gnarly (level $12A) you can bring Yoshi, so you have to set it up. There's a REALLY NICE sub product of this glitch: if $7E1DF5 is not zero, the Message Box Glitch will make the game think you're actually beating the Yellow Switch Palace, so the normal exit is activated. This address serves, among other purposes, as a timer for how long a Switch Palace message will remain active. In order to make this, you have to reset the game and return to your save. The title screen uses the address too to help controlling Mario, but if you don't start a new game or beat a Switch Palace, the value is never changed anymore. So, after resetting you can get whichever value $7E1DF5 has, and it will make the message activate the normal exit, and the message will last this value times 4.
Expert player (2452)
Very cool glitches, both of the above! About the Message Box Glitch, can it be used in 96-exit TAS? Does it count as 2 exits (DP3 and Yellow Switch Palace) at the same time?
Recent projects: SMB warpless TAS (2018), SMB warpless walkathon (2019), SMB something never done before (2019), Extra Mario Bros. (best ending) (2020).
Editor, Player (163)
HappyLee wrote:
can it be used in 96-exit TAS?
Yea it can, and BrunoVisnadi will use this in CI2 in the new 96-Exit TAS, because there it will save time (in DP3 unfortunatelly don't).
HappyLee wrote:
Does it count as 2 exits (DP3 and Yellow Switch Palace) at the same time?
No, only DP3 normal exit. As for now, there is no way to trigger more than one exit at the same time. And the only way you can activate the exit of another level while in one is doing Wrong Warp.
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2141)
A great video that explains the various Level End Glitches in SMW that I personally found to be very interesting. Link to video
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
Doing an all coins run requires getting all normal coins and dragon coins (including coin boxes, trail of coins). P-switch coins are optional. Also, the Yoshi wings are required. And you cannot use block duplication glitches.