Post subject: YouTube has uncapped several YouTube accounts time limits
Link to video Obviously, I'm one of the people uncapped. I expect that this change will have occurred to many of TASVideos's frequent uploaders. I figured I'd just get the news out there. I expect adelikat to be badgering me to upload everything there as soon as he wakes up. I reassure him that I'll be doing it when I get fast enough broadband to handle the load properly.
Editor, Active player (296)
Too bad for those of us who have mistakenly submitted some clip that has a litigative copyright owner. Such as this here:
Youtube wrote:
Account Status: Copyright Your account is not in good standing. You receive copyright strikes when we are notified by a third party that a video of yours infringes their copyright. Accumulation of three strikes may result in the termination of your account.Please visit our Copyright Tips page to learn about copyright. If there are any videos on your account for which you are not certain you have the necessary rights, please delete them now. If you believe a claim was made in error, you can also access references on fair use from the Copyright Tips page, and find the instructions for submitting a counternotification in our Help Center. The strikes you have received are listed below. For your reference, a copy of each warning message has also been sent to the email associated with your account. JungleWaItsumoHaleNochiGuu-banana.avi [random anime clip collection] - (Bisqwit) Video ID: JqnHcNsD_5M Removed due to a copyright claim by シンエイ動画株式会社 on July 05, 2010 JungleWaItsumoHaleNochiGuu-hee.avi [random anime clip collection] - (Bisqwit) Video ID: JcXvHNNAsQg Removed due to a copyright claim by シンエイ動画株式会社 on July 05, 2010 JungleWaItsumoHaleNochiGuu-rpghihi.avi [random anime clip collection] - (Bisqwit) Video ID: Lz54j8OD4KM Removed due to a copyright claim by シンエイ動画株式会社 on July 05, 2010 JungleWaItsumoHaleNochiGuu-mursu.avi [random anime clip collection] - (Bisqwit) Video ID: X8FwVIe7nns Removed due to a copyright claim by シンエイ動画株式会社 on July 05, 2010
Each of these clips was around 10 to 20 seconds long. Of course, it was my own mistake doing so, but in today's society, everything contains copyright. TASVideos publishes videos that contain music, graphics and design created by companies. It is really difficult to actually publish anything that does not contain something that has been created by someone else. Of course, my case here is more obvious, but still, now that they did their claim, my account there is permanently stained. (Youtube's copyright "strikes" never expire, even if you remove the videos promptly.) I have several other videos that could also be similarly challenged, for example some subtitlings I have done for Finnish comedy. And of course, those video game videos which contain creative content from such notorities as Nobuo Uematsu. Whenever did the society turn creativity into a weapon? In the past ages, people were honored to get more publicity and fame for their creations… Nowadays, it's just profit, profit, profit. Mammon is the global religion. Rant. EDIT: Congratulations! Your account is now enabled for uploads longer than 15 minutes. Click the Upload button below to select a video. Well, I like this, but my point still stands :)
GabCM
He/Him
Are you serious?! I must try uploading more than 15 minutes!
Editor, Expert player (2313)
Bisqwit, I know this is something completely different but I wanted to tell you this. I coincidentally saw your Anime clips and that's why I eventually watched most of the Jungle Wa Itsumo Anime. It was a pleasant watch and I want to thank you. Your upload was not in vain. Regarding the uncapping of Youtube time limits, does this mean 'everyone' can upload a video of any time length? I need to test this..
Post subject: Re: not for everyone
Banned User, Former player
Bisqwit wrote:
Each of these clips was around 10 to 20 seconds long.
I'm almost completely certain that using 20 seconds of a 20-minute TV episode falls into fair use under international copyright laws (as well as local copyright laws in the vast majority of jurisdictions), so those copyright holders are just abusing their powers and Google's zero tolerance policies. Of course trying to fight back can get quite messy and nasty, and definitely not worth the 10-20 seconds of video.
MUGG wrote:
Regarding the uncapping of Youtube time limits, does this mean 'everyone' can upload a video of any time length? I need to test this..
If I correctly understand Flygon's post, basically users that are attracting lots of viewers to the site are rewarded by being allowed to upload larger videos.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Active player (276)
Good to know they are finally removing the length limit, even if it isn't for everyone its a step in the right direction. Found out that my account (Toothache42) also had the limit removed, so I'll be using that for encode streaming as well as my DM account.
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
YouTube wrote:
Congratulations! Your account is now enabled for uploads longer than 15 minutes. Click the Upload button below to select a video.
Hooray!
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
I got it as well. And I don't even upload that much to YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
GabCM
He/Him
I got this message. Yay! I don't know if YouTube listened to me, but... * Mister Epic goes to cancel his partnership request.
Warp wrote:
I'm almost completely certain that using 20 seconds of a 20-minute TV episode falls into fair use under international copyright laws (as well as local copyright laws in the vast majority of jurisdictions), so those copyright holders are just abusing their powers and Google's zero tolerance policies.
Unfortunately this isn't solely Google's policy (although not being forgiving after the fact is, of course). The DMCA states that once an infringement claim (DMCA takedown notice) is made, the host must immediately comply and take the video offline, and then begin an investigation to possibly put it back up. In reality, most hosts don't do such an investigation due to the sheer number of requests they get which makes proper investigation too time consuming. Also, if a host puts a video back up after investigating, they're making themselves vulnerable to a possible lawsuit. It's really the DMCA that is broken and slanted towards the copyright owners. Like Bisqwit said, it's all about profit, everything and everyone else be damned.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Congratulations! Your account is now enabled for uploads longer than 15 minutes. Click the Upload button below to select a video.
Testing...
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
nfq
Player (93)
Dada wrote:
It's really the DMCA that is broken and slanted towards the copyright owners. Like Bisqwit said, it's all about profit, everything and everyone else be damned.
Another thing i and many others have noticed about youtube, is that it's often very slow nowadays. I thought that maybe google is running out of bandwidth... or maybe they give more bandwidth to VEVO channels and such. Youtube also keeps adding bad features for some reason, like the recent "load more" button that appears on channels with lots of videos, so you have to keep clicking that button several times to load all of the videos.
Active player (441)
I got uncapped too! Right now I'm trying to upload a YouTube mirror for my WIP of Metal Gear Solid.
My current project: Something mysterious (oooooh!) My username is all lower-case letters. Please get it right :(
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
nfq
Player (93)
cool, i got this too. maybe that's why it had been so slow recently, because they've been messing around with this. but how much longer than 15 min can the videos be?
nfq, create several ones with static picture & lowest quality to test. We don't need more than 3 hours, I believe.
Player (60)
I'm uncapped too. Time to celebrate!! :D
greenalink.blogspot.com
I got uncapped. Its really cool. I didn't upload that much now days but I use too. I've had for a long time.
Experienced player (617)
I got uncapped! Now I can upload some of my longer TASes.
Measure once. Cut twice.
Skilled player (1307)
Im uncapped too!
I too have been uncapped. I haven't uploaded anything since March 2009 but it's nice to know that I could probably upload 3-hour long videos if I wanted.
I have not been uncapped...
Banned User, Former player
Perhaps this means that we can finally stop abusing archive.org for wips, cancelled and rejected movies (because they can be put on youtube regardless of length), and use it for its intended purpose (ie. archive only published movies).
I don't know what's up with this. I upload to Youtube regularly and I've never had a case of copyright infringement. Never! My account says it's in good standing. I have more than 200 videos and more than 380 subscribers.