Post subject: The Binding Of Isaac
The Binding Of Isaac (Wikipedia page and Steam link) is a fairly new game out made by the people who brought us Super Meat Boy, with rougue-like game play and awesome artwork and music, I believe that this would make a great (and challenging) TAS if someone were to give it a go... Except me, I suck =[ Some YouTube linkage to trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIs2IQx7jV0 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21cp8EQoNho The game doesn't require you to use a mouse so theoretically (I'm currently in no position to try myself) it should be possible...
This is a pretty boring signature, is it not?
I hand you the SDA thread, so that you can bask in their (still undercooked) wisdom: http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/binding_of_isaac.html
I believe the quickest path would be getting Teleport! right on the first floor, and manipulate luck to always warp directly to the I AM ERROR room. That room has a trap door that'll get you to the next level, completely skipping the boss battle. It occasionally have items too, so it could be possible to get full Damage and Tears just on those trips to the I AM ERROR room. Teleport! can be used until Womb 1, after that you should get a Bible and an Emperor tarot card to warp directly to Mom's Heart/It Lives. I don't know if Bibles appears on I AM ERROR rooms though... We Need to Go Deeper is also an option, but it requires 6 room completions to be recharged, and Teleport! requires only 2 room completions. Battery could be useful to make a run with We Need to Go Deeper faster, but I doubt that would be faster than using Teleport!... I think Transcendence and X-Ray Glasses could also be great itens for speedruns. The prior can be used to quickly move over rocks and holes, and considering the layout of some rooms that would be very helpful. The latter can let you enter Secret Rooms at your will, and that makes possible some very neat detours. By the way, Distant Admiration causes a LOT of damage if used correctly. During a TAS it should be easy to stay in position where Distant Admiration inflicts damage all the time. The same for Mr. Mega bombs (heck, bombs in general). Unfortunatelly there's a major drawback that prevents us from TASing The Binding of Isaac right now: it's a Flash game. =( Well, as far as I know we still couldn't get them to work with Hourglass...
Assuming it could be done, you'd have to think in terms of resources. The difficulty with this game is that until you unlock and item, you can't find it in the dungeon, so some items are off limits right there. Also, as far as a goal, you don't unlock The Womb until after your first playthrough of the first 6 floors, so to beat Mom's Heart and get the "real" ending you would need to have a save (or I believe it is possible to use We Can Go Deeper on The Depths 2 to skip to The Womb before you even unlock it), and to defeat It Lives you would need a save with 10 wins on it.
Dr foetus is very useful, it's the better way for break all doors fast with a good speed it's possible to do a level in short time. If you drop Bobby-Bomb, all your bombs target automaticly the closest monster and you deal incredible damages.
"Si le mal existe en ce monde, il se cache dans le cœur des hommes." "If there is evil in this world, it lurks in the hearts of man." Edward D. Morrison - Tales of Phantasia
Hoe
BeefOwl wrote:
Assuming it could be done, you'd have to think in terms of resources. The difficulty with this game is that until you unlock and item, you can't find it in the dungeon, so some items are off limits right there. Also, as far as a goal, you don't unlock The Womb until after your first playthrough of the first 6 floors, so to beat Mom's Heart and get the "real" ending you would need to have a save (or I believe it is possible to use We Can Go Deeper on The Depths 2 to skip to The Womb before you even unlock it), and to defeat It Lives you would need a save with 10 wins on it.
That really is a big issue. A "100%" unlock run to base a speed run's save from may not be interesting because the number of complete descents with various characters it requires. I bet a "beats The Chest with Isaac" could be done entertaining and may unlock enough for a speed run to be optimal.
Hoe wrote:
BeefOwl wrote:
That really is a big issue. A "100%" unlock run to base a speed run's save from may not be interesting because the number of complete descents with various characters it requires. I bet a "beats The Chest with Isaac" could be done entertaining and may unlock enough for a speed run to be optimal.
I agree a 100% run is 90% impossible because there are toi many unlocks and achievements. I think it's better to define an objective as a specific level
"Si le mal existe en ce monde, il se cache dans le cœur des hommes." "If there is evil in this world, it lurks in the hearts of man." Edward D. Morrison - Tales of Phantasia