Post subject: YouTube has gone mad
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Your video, TAS HD: NES Super Mario Bros (JPN/USA) "walkathon" in 06:47.2 by HappyLee , may include content that is owned or administered by this entity: Entity: AlbinoBlacksheep Content Type: Visual content Your video, Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II (Famicom) - Complete Soundtrack (single video) , may include content that is owned or administered by this entity: Entity: Victor Content Type: Sound Recording AlbinoBlacksheep is an active youtuber. And Victor is banned YT account, that was banned for "repeated or severe violations of our Community Guidelines and/or claims of copyright infringement".
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Why on earth would AlbinoBlacksheep own the audio of Super Mario Bros.? Does the YouTube staff even check the validity of these accusations of copyright infringement?
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
We already had the similar problem with our russian tv-channel. It shows a comedy club, where some sketches demonstrate playing around with Battle City. The show is copyrighted. Some day they decided to remove all of their copyrighted stuff posted by others from YT. It led to tons of misnatches, checking true Battle City gameplay videos as copyrighted by that corporation. Here we call such people coperasts.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Skilled player (1705)
CoolKirby wrote:
Does the YouTube staff even check the validity of these accusations of copyright infringement?
What staff? ;)
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
the channel of a guy I know has been terminated just because someone requested it apparently, there was no reason to
Active player (308)
Mad? I think you guys need to relax. It looks OK to me. Link to video
"Genuine self-esteem, however, consists not of causeless feelings, but of certain knowledge about yourself. It rests on the conviction that you — by your choices, effort and actions — have made yourself into the kind of person able to deal with reality. It is the conviction — based on the evidence of your own volitional functioning — that you are fundamentally able to succeed in life and, therefore, are deserving of that success." - Onkar Ghate
Bisqwit wrote:
Drama, too long, didn't read, lol.
Yeah, this is what all the big media companies do in some form or another. Youtube is no exception. The DMCA is the reason: it outlines pretty clearly how they must act, which you could characterize as "shoot first, ask questions later". I wouldn't really say this is Youtube's fault per se. It's impossible to run such a large site in any other way under the rules that govern them. edit: on another note, Youtube's channel design was finally switched to the boring, stale, corporate new one. The people who chose to temporarily go back to the old one, including me, now have the same as everybody else. Again, the Youtube help forums have exploded with negative feedback. I'm pretty sure the designers knew this was going to happen and that everybody would hate it, but to Google, the sake of the Product is no longer front and center, it seems. Here's what that change looks like: http://wedemandhtml.com/tmp/youtube_channel_comparison.png
Dada wrote:
edit: on another note, Youtube's channel design was finally switched to the boring, stale, corporate new one. The people who chose to temporarily go back to the old one, including me, now have the same as everybody else. Again, the Youtube help forums have exploded with negative feedback. I'm pretty sure the designers knew this was going to happen and that everybody would hate it, but to Google, the sake of the Product is no longer front and center, it seems. Here's what that change looks like: http://wedemandhtml.com/tmp/youtube_channel_comparison.png
Yep the new design is annoying, frustrating, uninformative and hard to navigate. Don't like it at all. It was bad enough Youtube stopped listing all of a users videos and/or all the videos in a playlist (You had to click "Show More" repeatedly until all videos were visible for you to pick and choose from) But this new layout is just retarded.
Ryzen 3700X, ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard, 32GB 3600MHz RAM, MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB, Windows 10 Pro x64 http://tasvideos.org/Nach/FranpaAlert.html
Editor, Skilled player (1504)
I think it´s more terrible, that you can´t add "friends" to your channel. That makes sharing your videos much more harder.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Post subject: Re: YouTube has gone mad
Banned User, Former player
YouTube wrote:
Your video, Sylvian joululaulu , may include content that is owned or administered by this entity: Entity: Music Publishing Rights Collecting Society Content Type: Musical Composition
The authors of the song in question have been dead for over a hundred years. (More precisely, they died in 1871 and 1898). Btw, I just love the name of that company: "Music Publishing Rights Collecting Society". It sounds very similar to "patent troll".
Youtube wrote:
Your video, The Legend of Zelda: Parallel Worlds (Part 4) , may include content that is owned or administered by these entities: Entity: rumblefish Content Type: Musical Composition
I don't think the hack uses custom music, who the hell is Rumblefish?
Ryzen 3700X, ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard, 32GB 3600MHz RAM, MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB, Windows 10 Pro x64 http://tasvideos.org/Nach/FranpaAlert.html
Editor, Active player (296)
franpa wrote:
Youtube wrote:
Your video, The Legend of Zelda: Parallel Worlds (Part 4) , may include content that is owned or administered by these entities: Entity: rumblefish Content Type: Musical Composition
It's the same company that recently sent a copyright claim to someone who recorded birds. http://boingboing.net/2012/02/27/rumblefish-claims-to-own-copyr.html They only reverted it after the issue went public, with the company owner personally posting on Reddit and answering questions. EDIT: I have no idea why TASVideos forum is assigning broken HTML into this post.
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
A déjà html is usually a glitch in the Matrix. It happens when they change something.
Bisqwit wrote:
franpa wrote:
Youtube wrote:
It's the same company that recently sent a copyright claim to someone who recorded birds. http://boingboing.net/2012/02/27/rumblefish-claims-to-own-copyr.html They only reverted it after the issue went public, with the company owner personally posting on Reddit and answering questions. EDIT: I have no idea why TASVideos forum is assigning broken HTML into this post.
It's because there's a [ quote=Youtube ] in the post source without quotation marks around "Youtube". edit: apparently the bug only occurs with more than one level of quotation.
TASeditor wrote:
I think it´s more terrible, that you can´t add "friends" to your channel. That makes sharing your videos much more harder.
Yeah, and you can't have channel comments on your main page anymore. They're hidden on a different tab, and then underneath a button. This sort of thing really destroys the community.
Dada wrote:
Yeah, and you can't have channel comments on your main page anymore. They're hidden on a different tab, and then underneath a button. This sort of thing really destroys the community.
I was wondering where they went. So freakin' counter-intutive, all these changes.
nfq
Player (93)
Bisqwit wrote:
It's the same company that recently sent a copyright claim to someone who recorded birds. http://boingboing.net/2012/02/27/rumblefish-claims-to-own-copyr.html
lol... the only one who could claim copyright on birds or their songs would be God, but all his stuff is open-source.
Editor, Active player (296)
nfq wrote:
God, but all his stuff is open-source.
Not really. It's pretty much precompiled all that we see. Even though we can attempt to reverse-engineer it with microscopes and stuff. Fairly safe to say birds' songs are copyright to themselves, if you can recognize them as legal entities :-) Taken conversely, humans, too, act according to their species for most part. Greed, for instance... It just takes various forms, less and more sophisticated. And these copyright mafia guys are just another face of greed. I believe art is another form of an action typical to our species. Humans are not really as creative as we like to think we are.
You can challenge these copyright claims, by the way. If you look at the details for each claim there should be a link that permits you to write a message explaining why the claim is false.
Dada wrote:
You can challenge these copyright claims, by the way. If you look at the details for each claim there should be a link that permits you to write a message explaining why the claim is false.
There's a caveat: You have to provide your real name and contact information to the counterclaim, which goes to the claimant. Say bye bye to privacy. The claimant now knows your true identity and address. And yes, this has been actually abused.
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (723)
Warp wrote:
There's a caveat: You have to provide your real name and contact information to the counterclaim, which goes to the claimant. Say bye bye to privacy. The claimant now knows your true identity and address. And yes, this has been actually abused.
Well, last time this happened to me, I was able to provide made-up address and phone number, and got the video restored. So it's like: fight fire with fire.
AnS wrote:
Well, last time this happened to me, I was able to provide made-up address and phone number, and got the video restored. So it's like: fight fire with fire.
If you are caught and you are an US citizen then you can be sued by the government for giving false information. If you aren't a citizen, then you better never go to the US.
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (723)
Yes, if you're paranoid, you should use virtual phone number and rent a Post Office Box. But I think this is overcautiousness, since the only statement you make under penalty of perjury is:
I swear, under penalty of perjury, that I have a good faith belief the material was removed due to a mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled.
Also at the form page you can see the only realistic penalty for false personal information:
Please note that filing false or bad-faith counter-notifications may result in penalties against your account, including possible termination.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
AnS wrote:
Also at the form page you can see the only realistic penalty for false personal information:
Please note that filing false or bad-faith counter-notifications may result in penalties against your account, including possible termination.
Their implications that something worse can happen if you don't provide truthful information makes me think of one part of YouTube's infamous Copyright School video. It talks about what happens if a user consistently uploads another person's content without that person's permission. Then the narrator says something like "If you do this, bad things will happen" and the video shows a computer (automatically) shutting down. There is no way Google/YouTube can legally send a command to shut down a person's computer, or destroy the computer's data. All YouTube is doing is giving those who watch the video irrational fear to convince people to do what they say, and that's just terrible.
CoolKirby wrote:
Then the narrator says something like "If you do this, bad things will happen" and the video shows a computer (automatically) shutting down.
I think that's supposed to be symbolic, not to be taken literally.
and that's just terrible.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AndThatsTerrible