Post subject: Norse by Norsewest - Return of the Lost Vikings
I didn't see any posts about this game for the PSX, and since it's one of my most favorite puzzle games, I'd figure I'd start my very own TAS of it. However, before I go off on this game, I'd like to make a quick note that I cannot get any of the PSXJin versions to run except 2.0. The 2.0.2 version keeps showing a black screen regardless of what I do even after a ISO is loaded up, and the 2.0.1 version randomly crashes without warning. The 2.0 version runs smoothly and I haven't had any trouble with it, so I've been sticking with 2.0 instead. To start off, I'm a beginner in TASing, and this is one of the games that has little to no RNG values to manipulate. There is however two enemies that seems to have effects for RNG, but still isn't a hassle until the areas they appear in. Everything else in it is pretty straight-forward so I figured I'd give this game a go. I know the whole game very well, and TASing a 1P game and a 2P game will give off two different major times. If there's a 3P option as well, this will take a while to pull off the first couple of levels. It does support multi-player(up to two players I believe, as I don't recall there being a multi-tap for the psx), and the toughest thing about this game with two players is it hovers in on 1P the whole time, meaning off-screen work must be done with 2P. So mapping out my moves will be more than difficult to utilize. Though from attempted a quick understandable TAS thus-far in the past several hours, I've managed to seek the proper frames for the basic interface for Eric's Rocket Dash, the ladders, jumps, and enemy hit-counters. Normally when using Eric's Rocket Dash, when you hit a wall or an enemy straight-up, he'll bounce back with recovery frames. However, if you release the directional button two frames before impact, Eric will 'Ignore' this barrier and the enemy/block will take damage/die/get removed, allowing Eric to move freely during that frame. Ladders are commonly curious to master going up. Going down on the other hand is very simple. Jumping characters will make it tough for ladders when going up. Such as Olaf for one. Using his 'fart' ability shortly after releasing grip from the ladder, will lift him in the air, and by default, sets his shield in hover mode. Working on the TAS to show off these values real soon.
TAS is cheating? I don't know you anymore!
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2284)
If you have issues with PSXjin why not use PCSX-rr?
Atma wrote:
Why not tas the snes version instead?
Or that too.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Former player
Why not tas the snes version instead?
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
There was a WIP made of the SNES version a long time ago. It plays back on the "snes9x-1.43-improvement15.3-win32" version of SNES9x which you can find in the emulators section. This is the topic with WIPs in it: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5145 I think there was also another topic but I cannot find it right now. I am not certain though but I think it was decided at some point that the SNES version was the one preferred for this game. (You may want to verify this before you begin if you want to have the TAS published here. It would suck to have it rejected for using the wrong version) Here are a couple of the easiest tricks that work in the SNES version at least (since this is the only version I have played): * Olaf and Erik will make a great duo when it comes to shortcuts. * Erik can use his dash without running by jumping first and pressing dash as he lands. * When falling great distances it's a good idea to take damage from the environment or enemies before landing (but not too early) when possible as it will reset the distance you have fallen, this will skip the crashed-into-the-ground animation. Another tip is to make (or find) maps of each level and noting where you find all the items you need. No matter how well you know the game, looking at a map may help you find possible shortcuts you didn't think of before. There is no version of this game that offers 3 player like there was on the first game (Genesis version). So you're limited to 2 players, there can (and most likely will) show up situations where you can switch rapidly enough between 2 characters that it will seem like a 3 player run, however, don't do this with normal walking as letting Erik dash ahead and follow with the others is almost always the fastest way of moving. Good luck!