Post subject: Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4136)
Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22 is a PSX fighting game based on, well, Dragon Ball Z, released in 1995 in Japan and in 1996 in Europe, then spent several years waiting until it was released in the US in 2003. The game is widely considered terrible. Despite that, I personally like it (it's a game I've owned since childhood) and it has good music. The game lacks a real Arcade mode, but the default Player vs. AI mode works somewhat like an Arcade Mode. When you select a character, you will fight all 22 playable characters (including the player's character) in a random sequence, with a few boss characters interspersed as well as a few bosses at the end, leading to 27 fights total. The combo system is a bit limited - the game itself doesn't truly acknowledge combo's, although they do exist (like the original Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior). It is possible to juggle off certain moves, but the juggles themselves are somewhat limited and don't allow for more than a few hits until the opponent falls down in an intangible state. Other than that, it's generally possible to combo a few basic moves into each other, and combo them into specials. So, over the past few days I've been working on a TAS of a few fights in this game, to see what it would end up looking like. Link to video I used Captain Giryu, because his Body Change ability allows me to fight using the opponent characters - this way, I can control every character in the game in one run. It's like Twelve from Street Fighter 3, except Body Change can be pulled off at will (provided the AI allows to land it) and there aren't any other restrictions.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Active player (434)
wow this game is really really bad and i didn't understand anything at all.
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
Epic, this game should be played on every Evolution Championship Tournament. Please continue!
Noxxa
They/Them
Did four more fights (vs. Vegeta, Trunks, Piccolo, Android 18). Link to video Tried to show off the characters while still keeping the fights short and interesting, and utterly dominating the AI.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Post subject: Did I just make this game look actually interesting?
Noxxa
They/Them
Recently I've been getting back to this, trying out larger combo opportunities. This game is surprisingly deep combo-wise, by chaining normal attacks into energy discharge (QCB+O) and then linking into other moves. Here's a brief demonstration, showing off a 100% combo/reset with Tien: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjh3n_Diiyk EDIT: Here's a true 100% combo with Goku, aiming for speed (00:07.33 seconds from input start to enemy death cry) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHauVy9Q-Hk
Player (200)
Nice combos! I owned this game as well, and yeah, it's not very good, but I like the idea of a Captain Ginyu (TM) playaround. Can you pull off those 100% combos with Tien (TM) and Goku (R) after using Ginyu (TM)'s change ability? Also, I hate how they have to put trademarks in the character names. Was that really necessary?
Rayas wrote:
Dunno if I'm really clear. I need to drink more.
<br>
adelikat wrote:
The idea was to kill off my family to avoid lost time to them getting sick and other inconvenient things.
Noxxa
They/Them
Tanooki Teabag wrote:
Nice combos! I owned this game as well, and yeah, it's not very good, but I like the idea of a Captain Ginyu (TM) playaround. Can you pull off those 100% combos with Tien (TM) and Goku (R) after using Ginyu (TM)'s change ability?
Yes, to my knowledge, body-swapped characters still function exactly as they normally would. And Ginyu has regular stamina and body size, so most if not all combo's should still work fine on him. I've also been making attempts at restarting a Captain Ginyu playaround. The largest hurdle is that besides having Body Change, he's complete ass as a character. Even his energy cancelling is terribly slow, to the point where it's nearly useless. Also, I've just barely touched the surface of this game's combo abilities yet. Tien and Goku are just two of the faster (more damaging) options, that I've done tests with. I actually think most characters have capabilities for doing 100% combo's by use of energy cancelling. Unfortunately, so far Ginyu seems to be one of the exceptions.
Ultimate Battle 22: Inventing Focus Attack Dash Cancel before it was cool.
Noxxa
They/Them
Here's the first two fights (vs. Goten, Trunks) of the Captain Ginyu playaround reattempt: Link to video PXM movie file
Noxxa
They/Them
(Bump.) I found out Frieza can do the same thing as Goku with his punch+kick (anti-projectile) attack, in some matchups even faster than Goku. Compared to Goku, Frieza has advantages and disadvantages. Frieza's move is slightly faster, and he has a better fireball finisher, but his move causes more hit pushback (causing the move to be slower outside the corner) and his spin kick is worse than Goku's for when the opponent is stunned. I don't know yet which of the two would be faster overall in a full run. This clip of Frieza vs. Cell defeats Cell 00:00.50 faster than the Goku run. Link to video
Noxxa
They/Them
Big bump! In recent weeks I've been going back to this game to really learn the intricacies of combos in this game. With that, I've made a tool-assisted combo video of this game, showcasing 100% damage combos with a lot of the cast - without energy canceling. It's not any sort of submittable work, but probably still as good as anything that the game could offer in a TAS setting. Link to video